U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2016, 01:37 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
To answer the OP's question, no. I am still willing to travel to the US.

I don't see a lot of change happening, at least as far as Canada is concerned. Mr. Trump may say a lot, and he may be uneducated in international law (and law in general), and Canada-US treaties, but I'm pretty sure that he will surround himself with people who know both of the above, and who will advise him accordingly.

I don't see his NAFTA threats as anything to worry about--to the best of my knowledge, the 1988 FTA is still in effect despite NAFTA (i.e. NAFTA does not supercede the 1988 FTA), so anything he does to NAFTA should not affect Canada.

It is important to note that Mr. Trump is not, and won't be, a dictator. He can only act in accordance with the US Constitution and anything he initiates (with very few exceptions) must be passed through Congress. To us Canadians, used to our Parliamentary system, it sounds like a slam-dunk with a Republican congress, but in the American system, it is not. American Congresspeople can vote in the best interests of their district, even if it goes against the wishes of their party. To that end, I can see him caving on "No foreigners!" to the interests of border states that depend on cross-border tourism and shopping; especially on the Canadian border.

Mr. Trump has been elected as the US President. Now, he no longer can play to disaffected voters in the United States; he has to play to the world. None of us outside the US had a voice in the election; but now, he will have to deal with our democratically-elected leaders, who can carry our voice to him. This is our chance to tell him what we think.
Good analysis. Thank you for providing another perspective.

I'd like to think that Mr. Trump will do his utmost to respect the law, the constitution, the elected senators and representatives, his allies, partners, and other world leaders, and opposing voices in an inclusive, tolerant, modest, and pluralistic manner befit of the office that he will soon hold. It's in the best interest of the whole world that he does, otherwise we will all suffer the consequences one way or another, his supporters included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 01:51 PM

3,903 posts, read 2,727,861 times
This is interesting:

Quote:
Some of the most controversial proposals Donald Trump made while running for U.S. president were gone from his campaign website by Thursday, including his call to ban Muslims from entering the country and his promise to cancel the Paris Climate Agreement.
Trump camp removes 'Muslim ban' link from website - World - CBC News

Old 11-10-2016, 01:56 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Let's hope Fox and Breitbart don't get hold of this, otherwise get ready for more anti-establishment kicking and screaming (bizarre considering that president-elect Trump is now also part of the evil "establishment")

Old 11-10-2016, 03:18 PM

18,273 posts, read 10,374,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Let's hope Fox and Breitbart don't get hold of this, otherwise get ready for more anti-establishment kicking and screaming (bizarre considering that president-elect Trump is now also part of the evil "establishment")
Their problem stems form them being stupid enough to ever believe he's spent one minute being anything but part of the "establishment".

Old 11-10-2016, 03:21 PM

18,273 posts, read 10,374,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Good analysis. Thank you for providing another perspective.

I'd like to think that Mr. Trump will do his utmost to respect the law, the constitution, the elected senators and representatives, his allies, partners, and other world leaders, and opposing voices in an inclusive, tolerant, modest, and pluralistic manner befit of the office that he will soon hold. It's in the best interest of the whole world that he does, otherwise we will all suffer the consequences one way or another, his supporters included.
I cannot help thinking though, the world's best interest will only be considered as an adjunct by Trump if it happens to coincide with what His Lordship thinks are his best interests.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:51 PM

449 posts, read 279,468 times
Quote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...-from-website/

...It's back. :/

Old 11-10-2016, 11:13 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,438,884 times
And so it begins...

Old 11-11-2016, 12:50 AM

6,523 posts, read 7,463,600 times
Quote:
Calgarian in California assaulted on election night; was taunted with homophobic slurs:

Calgarian in Santa Monica assaulted on U.S. election night | Metro News

No one should visit our country and have this happen to them. How disgusting, people are acting like complete idiots right now. As I type this left wing activists are protesting and engaging in violence. Earlier a guy was dragged out of his car and beaten for being "pro trump" I thought the USA was a civilized nation. We are losing control of our society.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:38 AM

449 posts, read 279,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
No one should visit our country and have this happen to them. How disgusting, people are acting like complete idiots right now. As I type this left wing activists are protesting and engaging in violence. Earlier a guy was dragged out of his car and beaten for being "pro trump" I thought the USA was a civilized nation. We are losing control of our society.
This is all just so surreal. I reluctantly voted for Hillary just in case Trump won, but I honestly did not think it was possible.

I think it would be best if non-Americans stayed out of the country, at least for a little while. There's so much hatred and violence coming from both sides... I'm scared for my life.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:46 AM

34,380 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Was watching videos of the protests,there seems to be a professional agitator group at all protests no matter what the protest is for,these agitators are always dressed in mask,headband and backpack and they ramp up the whole protest by throwing things and smashing things usually storefront windows.,i believe these people would have been active no matter who won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or