U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-12-2016, 10:28 AM
 
2,560 posts, read 2,178,337 times
Reputation: 1810

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Yep exactly , my guess is maybe what is p*ssing the rioters off the most is that they sat back fat dumb and happy, not doing anything but taking solace in all the MSM reports on how Clinton had this thing locked up, then woke up Wednesday morning and found out that all the great, grand and good reports were wrong.

Probably stings them that deep down they are thinking that maybe they should have done more before the election instead of afterwards.

Has to be a crushing defeat to them to finally realize that the world isn't their oyster and that the MSM isn't as omnipotent as they'd been led to believe.

So instead of "suck it up buttercup", they'd rather go out do a little burning and destruction
Suck what up? A sexist, racist, totally ill-equipped former reality TV star as their new Il Duce? Not everyone who's protesting is a looting (100,000 citizen march in NYC without sligthest incident), and not everyone wants to be your happy go lucky, "let's reconciliate" buttercup. It's a tough world, I know. Resist today, resist tomorrow, resist until this monster gets out of office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2016, 10:59 AM
 
2,567 posts, read 1,335,572 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Suck what up? A sexist, racist, totally ill-equipped former reality TV star as their new Il Duce? Not everyone who's protesting is a looting (100,000 citizen march in NYC without sligthest incident), and not everyone wants to be your happy go lucky, "let's reconciliate" buttercup. It's a tough world, I know. Resist today, resist tomorrow, resist until this monster gets out of office.
1000 marched, 11 were arrested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2016, 11:50 AM
 
3,153 posts, read 2,071,152 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
he wouldn't care. He wouldn't be happy until he gets his Mrs Clinton. I am sure if there is a violent revolt overthrowing Trump tomorrow by force, he will be totally for it.

For some people, democracy should only be supported if it produces the outcome they like.

And since you sound like a reasonable person, I would say this election was never about race, although it appears to be.

the democratic party for a long time adopted a new strategy to shift the focus from economic issues to social ones such as racial equity, LGBT rights etc. It works wonderfully for the highly educated with great jobs who benefited from globalization greatly, because for them, making a living isn't an issue and they need to pursue spiritual persuit to feel good about themselves. It also won a lot of votes from Latinos and blacks because they feel to have more rights.

but are these the most pressing issues in the US? some agree and some don't. and you can't say those who worry about their jobs and livelihoods are racists and homophobes. this election is not about whether latinos or gays are equal, it is about which is more important, bringing more low skilled jobs back by limiting free trade and illegal immigrationm OR keeping talking about diversity.

the fact is during the past 30 years, the median income for americans hardly improved and life got a lot harder while the average income soared. Income of the top 1% tripped. Mr Obama & co are still pushing their globalization agenda by trade agreements such as the TPP, so that big corporation will have super-national power while the middle and lower class keep losing their income and standard of living. that's what is happening, something the democrats seldom want to talk about. instead, they want to bury this with all the political correctness talk, which in itself isn't wrong. the democrats also made the fatal mistake of being arrogant by assuming the latinos are in their pockets. In reality, are people's interest defined by economic status or skin color? the democrats want to say it is the latter, but I disagree. this is why despite trump's often controversial speech, 30% latinos still voted for him, because not every latino is obsessed with racial issues and they are probably victims of greedy globalization as well.

it is easy to dismiss trump voters as bigots and rednecks, but is it really that simple? Most don't hate non-whites or gays and just want to change the status quo by hoping for better jobs they used to have. Is it that wrong? of course there are racists, but that's not unique to trump voters. The clintons are known to be real racists in their true face and actions but for political reasons, they need to hide it and show the opposite.

People like to over simply things because it is easier to understand and often makes them feel morally superior. but this election is by no means about whether America should treat everyone equally. it is about whether economic or social issues are more important. And why are we surprised the latter ultimately won?

of course for people like Bostonkid and many who make 150k in silicon valley or wall street, who care about those workers and servers who work 3 jobs just to make ends meet? they don't see them. the current system benefits them, financialy, so for them racial issues or whether a man should have to access women's toilet is more important than anything else. In reality you will be surprised by how much the costal elites disdain the midwest. Unfortunately in no country can every person be highly educated highly skilled and competitive internationally. To say trump voters are just a bunch of bigoted racists who hate the minorities is a gross oversimplication of things, and it is exactly what many are doing.

excuse me for my typos and wrong puntuations. this french keyboard drives me nuts.

I could not agree more.....many people live in their own bubble.

This election was never about race.....my gosh we elected an African American....twice!!!

Trump got more votes from Latinos and Blacks than Romney did!!!

In this election cycle, the MSM finally discarded any pretense to report news impartially...I was laughing at their reaction and all the sighs every time one of the "blue wall" states was called for Trump (ohh....uhh..."that is a b..ch")....it was truly hilarious...I would not be surprised if their viewer ratings will hit new lows.

However it's back to business as usual in Washington...One of the top picks for Secretary of Treasury for the Clinton camp was JPM Jamie Dimon ...Trump called him "worst banker in US"...guess what"?? Trump team asked Dimon if he would consider being a Secretary of Treasury for the new administration...not to mention all the DC insiders that Trump is already surrounding himself...drain the swamp my a........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2016, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Niagara Falls ON.
10,024 posts, read 10,564,883 times
Reputation: 8908
Well, my family visited often vacationed south of the Mason Dixon line in the 40s, 50s and 60s. So tell me??? What do I have to fear from Trump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2016, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Toronto
6,754 posts, read 3,779,288 times
Reputation: 4619
May have a change of heart ..... seeing all those protestor is making me feel better because it is reminding me of all the Americans that have similar distaste towards Trump and that are hopefully going to be around for the next 4 years to work to keep Trump in line. Long live the modern socially progressive America !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2016, 06:59 PM
 
15,723 posts, read 9,639,932 times
Reputation: 6988
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
May have a change of heart ..... seeing all those protestor is making me feel better because it is reminding me of all the Americans that have similar distaste towards Trump and that are hopefully going to be around for the next 4 years to work to keep Trump in line. Long live the modern socially progressive America !
Well, keep in mind Clinton won the popular vote, currently the 2nd highest amount in US history after Obama. So the majority of voters wanted her to be President. Sadly our antiquated 18th Century electoral college gives more power to certain states and she lost the important one's by a slim margin due to disenfranchised blue collar workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2016, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
5,952 posts, read 7,320,675 times
Reputation: 3734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Well, keep in mind Clinton won the popular vote, currently the 2nd highest amount in US history after Obama. So the majority of voters wanted her to be President. Sadly our antiquated 18th Century electoral college gives more power to certain states and she lost the important one's by a slim margin due to disenfranchised blue collar workers.
You nailed it. She barley lost in PA, Michigan, and Wisconsin. 30,000 more Clinton votes in all three and she'd be the president.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
May have a change of heart ..... seeing all those protestor is making me feel better because it is reminding me of all the Americans that have similar distaste towards Trump and that are hopefully going to be around for the next 4 years to work to keep Trump in line. Long live the modern socially progressive America !
Supposedly he's already backing down from replealing Obamacare and trying to mess with same sex marriage. However, the hopes I get that he won't be so bad from comments like those get offset by who I'm hearing he might bring to the White House....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2016, 07:40 PM
 
3,153 posts, read 2,071,152 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Sadly our antiquated 18th Century electoral college gives more power to certain states and she lost the important one's by a slim margin due to disenfranchised blue collar workers.
Is not "antiquated"...it makes perfect sense...a primer for you:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdS6fyUIklI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2016, 01:12 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Well, keep in mind Clinton won the popular vote, currently the 2nd highest amount in US history after Obama. So the majority of voters wanted her to be President. Sadly our antiquated 18th Century electoral college gives more power to certain states and she lost the important one's by a slim margin due to disenfranchised blue collar workers.
this data is useless for a variety of reasons. Most of all, the number of voters increased, and the fact people without ID are allowed to vote in many states helped too.

what matters is the percentage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2016, 01:23 AM
 
625 posts, read 1,187,838 times
Reputation: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
May have a change of heart ..... seeing all those protestor is making me feel better because it is reminding me of all the Americans that have similar distaste towards Trump and that are hopefully going to be around for the next 4 years to work to keep Trump in line. Long live the modern socially progressive America !
I would agree. Clinton won the popular vote, and many Americans are uncomfortable with the results. And a fair number of those who voted Trump for whatever reason (no excuse) were holding their nose at the things he said ... but sadly America finds itself in this situation. Many cities are re-iterating their refusal to work with Trump's more extreme plans.

I've heard some people say they would not go to the U.S. as a form of boycott. My personal opinion:

I'd say go to the U.S., support businesses in those places that are tolerant, support minority owned businesses, female-owned businesses, etc. Let's be honest, our own government is planning how to keep "irregular migrants" out, now that the U.S. seems less attractive of a destination, and talking about re-imposing visa requirements (our version of a wall). Even with Trump in office, neighbouring Washington State is probably a more hospitable place for lower-skilled immigrants who would not meet Canada's points system for entry, than is my home BC. So if we want to support these folks, I say continue to go there and patronize their businesses, don't try to punish people who are already feeling in a tough situation. The country didn't change in one day. I voted absentee in my former home state, my ballot comes in two languages, we elected a diverse set of politicians as well as approving funding for schools, a raise in the minimum wage, and some other progressive measures.

Politics too often breeds irresponsible leaders, and I wouldn't want to single out the U.S. Italy had its Berlusconi (with fascists in his coalition, no less), many eastern European countries flirt with nativism, and many of my Latin American friends have had to live through (or flee) some pretty rotten governments ... but I still am happy to engage with people from these countries, experience their culture, and count them among friends, while hoping for better days. Don't forget under Harper we weren't exactly friends of the refugee either, nor did we see him at any pride parades.

Of course its harder for us to accept this kind of leadership in our neighbour, in a country that should be a more responsible leader given its position in the world. And we should certainly be willing to take action if Trump tries to act on his mos egregious ideas in a way which violates civil liberties ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top