Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 07:46 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I really really realllllllllllllly hope this does not happen, but if Trump does become president of the USA do you think this will effect your williness to travel to the USA?...
I emigrated from the U.S. in 2000, and I returned for five weeks in 2009. When I departed I had no interest in ever returning, that has not changed. Thus, Mr. Trump being the president there would affect that decision, nor would it be affected if he did not win.

The world will be in peril with a man with a Kim Jung-um mentality as leader of such a major military power, but again actually going over there or not doesn't figure in that aspect of such a win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 08:48 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,973,733 times
I will go more often and probably feel much safer in the US if Trump wins!

Old 09-18-2016, 09:11 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
I don't think the mere existence of a President Trump would be enough in itself to discourage me from going to the U.S.

One wonders what changes it would bring for foreign travellers though, based on some of the odd statements the candidate has made about foreigners.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:46 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Let's wait and see. Since Trump has never held any higher office for a day in his life, aside from managing his own businesses, I doubt you can accurately compare apples to apples in this case, where as both Clinton and Obama have been in politics and government for decades.

Just based on their pure policy experience - both Clinton and Obama are already more qualified than Trump from the get go. Sure, you could say Trump's an "outsider" and he doesn't need experience to govern, but are you really willing to gamble to fate of the largest economy in the world, the largest military and nuclear weapons stock in the world, in the hands of a man as unstable and temperamental as Trump, someone who looks up to Putin and Mussolini as role models and has listed Hitler's biography as one of his favorite reads? If it's a normal business transaction like investing in real estate, I could care less. But in this case, we are talking about the lives of 300+ million citizens and profound effects on all nations worldwide.

IMHO, anyone who's willing to consider Trump a legitimate candidate should seriously re-examine what they truly want our world to become. Clinton's political correctness may be an annoyance to some, but it is a hell lot better than blatant racism, hate, intolerance, xenophobia, and homophobia.
Yes, I am willing to bet.
Clinton is the worst choice despite and especially because of her so called experience. Trump make a lot more sense than her.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:03 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Why?

You talk as if Ms Clinton is any better than Trump.

Don't be brainwashed by the media. Trump is not a great candidate but no worse than either Clinton or Obama.
This is an absolutely crazy post.

Trump has promised to abandon Europe, nuke the Middle East, encourage nuclear proliferation. etc. He's a racist/nativist buffoon with no interest or knowledge about basically anything public-policy oriented, and he lies about everything, always.

Every living President has called him a dangerous threat. He's probably the biggest threat to humanity since Hitler. I don't think he'll be elected, but if he were, it would probably be a global catastrophe, and you would have much more important things to worry about then "are you more/less willing to travel to the U.S.".

Old 09-18-2016, 11:12 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times
Quote:
Clinton is the worst choice despite and especially because of her so called experience. Trump make a lot more sense than her.
You are willing to bet - but bet what? Do you have a personal stake in the well-being of America, when you are safely residing in Toronto? Easier to say one supports such and such crazy candidate or crazy policy when the eventual consequences don't impact you personally.

Like the ordinary Germans who elected the Nazis to power in 1933, they also wanted to "disrupt" the old order of things - that is the politically weak Weimar Republic - and do away with useless, inept institutions like constitutional courts, suspension of the Weimar constitution, opposition parties, and other democratic institutions. They also complained about "illegal foreigners", Jews, Romas, Gypsies, Slavs and the "degenerate" cultures of France, the UK, and America and wanted to a "return" to the "old Germany" of Kaisers and Bismarks. And they found in Hitler, like today's Trump, an equally loud-mouthed, temperamental, "brave leader" who could return Germany to "greatness". 70 years have passed, but all of this verbiage sounds eerily familiar today.

Myopia and tunnel vision is how I would describe this kind mass behavior, because in 10 short years the Germans definitely got what they wanted alright. A change, and they have no one to blame but themselves.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:15 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
This is an absolutely crazy post.

Trump has promised to abandon Europe, nuke the Middle East, encourage nuclear proliferation. etc. He's a racist/nativist buffoon with no interest or knowledge about basically anything public-policy oriented, and he lies about everything, always.

Every living President has called him a dangerous threat. He's probably the biggest threat to humanity since Hitler. I don't think he'll be elected, but if he were, it would probably be a global catastrophe, and you would have much more important things to worry about then "are you more/less willing to travel to the U.S.".
One of those rare times when I actually agree with you 100%.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:47 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I am aware of the problem with gun violence that has been an issue for a long time in many inner city areas. My point is directed to those who think crime is worse when all stats prove it has been on a downward trend for some time now. I have seen comments from some Canadians on other sites saying they used to come to the US all of the time 10-20 years ago but won't now because it's too dangerous. If the U.S. was safe enough for you to visit in 2000, it certainly is as well in 2016.
They may be concerned about the increase in seemingly random mass shootings, which have gone up.

"And the FBI found that these shootings were on the rise: There were 115 active-shooter incidents in the last seven years of the data set, up from 45 in the first seven years."

Mass Shootings Have Become More Common In The U.S. | FiveThirtyEight

They may have felt safer when most of the deaths and injuries were mostly restricted to certain neighbourhoods and domestic disputes.

Granted the chances of being involved in a shooting are negligible, but it's no different than Americans ( and Canadians ) deciding not to travel to Europe this summer because of the terrorist attacks.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Botti I really thought you had more intelligence than that. Have you been paying attention to what Trump says?
Unlike a lot of the Hillary stuff, it's documented and not innuendo.

Hillary may be more of the status quo, but right now, that is a heck of a lot better than a man who volatile, racist, and doesn't have a friggin' clue about the rule of law and the US constitution.

How can you say he makes more sense? Especially when he blatantly lies. Can you explain to me why you think a man who was ( is ) a birther now says Hillary started it, is a man who makes sense?

Are you just bored and wanting to push buttons?

Old 09-18-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
One of those rare times when I actually agree with you 100%.
Add me to that list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada