U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2016, 04:08 PM
 
2,561 posts, read 2,180,745 times
Reputation: 1815

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Lyon, a city I know. So you want to compare metro's. Vancouver's Skytrain has 68.7 K's of track with another 10.9 opening soon, for a total of 79.6 K's of track.

Lyon's metro has 30.3 K of track and has actually 4 lines, not 5.

Vancouver doesn't have any real LRT lines, but does have a heavy rail line the Westcoast express, which comes from Mission to downtown and is scheduled to only serve daytime commuters.

Lyon is inland and surrounded by suburbs ( mostly modern and unattractive ) it's LRT, trams, has 6 lines, with Trams 3, 4, 5 and 6 ( Rhone Express ) all opening in the last 10 years. So you are naturally you are going to technically have more lines since they come from all directions.
In Vancouver the vast majority of commuters come from the east since the Pacific Ocean is on the west. Some come from the south, Richmond, but both east and south are covered by the Skytrain and Westcoast Express. The ones that come from the North, only cross the harbour and transit besides buses is the Seabus.

Your comparisons are really not thought out, but just once again seem to be a way for you to whine. Your thought process seems to be that of a young child who chooses a package of sweets because there are 20 pieces of candy instead of 10, even though that package of 10 may weigh twice as much.

EDIT: When comparing two cities transit systems, it is not as simple as saying this city has 6 lines vs one have 4 etc. The type of system, metro being faster than LRT, the frequency and length of the service, all play a part. Hence, my candy comment.
Nat, took those words right out of my mouth. Botti, you aren't the only one who's traveled to Lyon. As Nat correctly stated, Lyon has 4 metro lines, not 5, and there are no expansion plans for its metro unlike the GTA cities in southern Ontario.

Lyon Metro may have 4 lines, same number as Toronto (or as you say you don't consider Toronto's Line 4 as a proper "line" with only 6 stations, so we'll say Toronto has 3 lines), but Lyon's total system length is less than 30 km, less than half of that of Toronto's:

Lyon Metro Length: 30 km
TTC Subway Length: 68.3 km

Lyon Metro Stations: 40 stations

TTC Subway Stations: 69 stations

Lyon Metro Expansion as of 2016: no ongoing projects
TTC Subway Expansion as of 2016: 35.1 km under construction, 28 new stations to come online in the next 1-4 years, increasing system capacity by 51.2% not including other fully funded projects that have not started construction as of Oct 2016.

Lyon Tramway Lines: 6 Lines

TTC Streetcar Lines: 11 Lines

Lyon Tramway System Length: 75.3 km
TTC Streetcar System Length: 83 km

I fully appreciate the fact that Toronto is a more populous, more important city relative to Lyon, hence it SHOULD and MUST build larger, more expansive transit. However, I also want to put your words into perspective when you praise certain European city's transit through the stratosphere while making it sound as if Toronto is purposely getting pulling up and destroying its own transit tracks like we still live in the Medieval Ages.

*And since you don't consider TTC's Sheppard Yonge Line 4 as a "real subway line", fair enough. In the same logic, I will say that Lyon's 2.5 km, 5-station Ligne C is also not a "real" metro line, given that it's only half the length of TTC Line 4. Fair and square, chico?

Ligne C du métro de Lyon

Last edited by bostonkid123; 10-10-2016 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2016, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Reputation: 8603
I don't think Botticcelli is in Lyon. If you look at the info he's given on the mysterious French city, Lyon is too large. There are only two options that really fit his description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Reputation: 8603
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Because Toronto is a North American city located in North America, which has a completely different historic development context, different history, different culture, different life style patterns, different urban streetscape, than anything you would find in Europe.


Why isn't Shanghai like Paris with bistros and cafes and baguettes on every corner?
Why is Boston like Munich, with pretzel houses and beer halls on every street?

Geez I just wish Toronto can just whip out a wand, spend $100 billion on 10 subway lines and build 10 grand boulevards, and become Lyon or Marseille next year, but I also live in the real world and know that Toronto just doesn't have the ability to do that. I do agree with you that Toronto has a lot more work to be done with regards to traffic, transit, and public spaces, but how do you know those are not happening as we speak? Many many people, urban planners, ordinary citizens, elected officials, transit officials are working their asses off making everyday improvements - how can you make sweeping generalizations and categorically dismiss all their efforts and simply say "Look Toronto, be more like Lyon/Nice/Marseille"? In many ways, Toronto is like a city in a developing country - many things are still in flux, the demographics are in transition, the transport and transit modes are in transition period, the housing development and density are in transition, it's very much different from old world European cities that are experiencing very different stages of development. How can a seemingly intelligent and well-traveled fellow like yourself not grasp this?

Also, just fyi, Ottawa currently has 2 underground and elevated LRT lines under construction, called the Confederation lines, and a 3rd one just received federal and provincial funding in August. The first one will come online next year in mid to late 2017. So no it's not "all buses".
I see your point but dense, walkable urban spaces with decent transit aren't a European thing, they're a global, human thing.


In some places they have pâtisseries and cafés, in others it's karaoke bars or shawarma or taco counters.


They exist all over the world and even in the Americas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 08:09 AM
 
2,561 posts, read 2,180,745 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I see your point but dense, walkable urban spaces with decent transit aren't a European thing, they're a global, human thing.


In some places they have pâtisseries and cafés, in others it's karaoke bars or shawarma or taco counters.


They exist all over the world and even in the Americas.
Oh I completely agree. But what would you have Torontonians do, with our limited resources, current recession? It's not like City Hall and John Tory can just command everyone to move out of their Rosedale single family homes so we can construct more midrises with cafes and bistros and bakeries - for the record I'd be the first person to sign up to be the bulldozer driver, just don't know how it would work logistically given the resources we have today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 08:11 AM
 
2,561 posts, read 2,180,745 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think Botticcelli is in Lyon. If you look at the info he's given on the mysterious French city, Lyon is too large. There are only two options that really fit his description.
He just said it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Speaking of Lyon, I am in it right now. a city of 2 million people, 5 subway lines 6 LRT lines. Vancouver has similar population and 4 lines and often seems proud of their "good transit system".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Reputation: 8603
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
He just said it.
But that's not where he is "living" in France. He said it was a metro of 600-700 k. That's way smaller than Lyon. Where I assume he was just visiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,691 posts, read 8,759,917 times
Reputation: 7309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
But that's not where he is "living" in France. He said it was a metro of 600-700 k. That's way smaller than Lyon. Where I assume he was just visiting.
I think we can agree that the possibility that Botti's stats aren't always accurate, however it doesn't matter because he was talking about Lyon and the transit in Lyon.

Knowing Vancouver transit well and having taken Lyon's transit manyl times over the years, I can say that Vancouver is no slouch when compared to Lyon. Both have good, clean systems. The case for trams has been made in Vancouver, and we even had test one going to Granville Island, but as charming as they are, they aren't efficient and they are slow for covering long distances, so we've chosen a different way. I personally think though that a few short routes using trams downtown to fill the gaps would be good.

I can't help thinking that Botti has a case of " if it's Canadian " it's inferior disease. The French have a similar disease when it comes to the English.
I remember reading a book, I believe it was called " Spotted Dick ", written by an Englsihman who opened up an English restaurant in France. He summed it up this way. Paraphrasing here. " They came and ate the food, and thought it was delicious. Compliments all around, but they felt the need to say that it wasn't English cooking or food, because English food is bad, so therefore any food that is tasty can not be English."

Last edited by Natnasci; 10-11-2016 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 12:58 PM
 
2,561 posts, read 2,180,745 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
But that's not where he is "living" in France. He said it was a metro of 600-700 k. That's way smaller than Lyon. Where I assume he was just visiting.
I believe he explicitly said city, city of Lyon. Lyon has 600k residents and 2.2 million in the metro. Sounds about right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Reputation: 8603
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I believe he explicitly said city, city of Lyon. Lyon has 600k residents and 2.2 million in the metro. Sounds about right.
He initially said this:


I am living in a French city now. It has a metro population of 650-700k and FIVE lightrail lines.

There are a couple of cities in France in that size range that have about that many light rail lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Reputation: 8603
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Oh I completely agree. But what would you have Torontonians do, with our limited resources, current recession? It's not like City Hall and John Tory can just command everyone to move out of their Rosedale single family homes so we can construct more midrises with cafes and bistros and bakeries - for the record I'd be the first person to sign up to be the bulldozer driver, just don't know how it would work logistically given the resources we have today.
So much of the past you can't change, this is true. But how effectively are Canadian/North American cities moving away from those ways of building? That's what they deserve to be judged upon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top