U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2016, 07:34 AM
 
5,097 posts, read 2,486,575 times
Reputation: 4657

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Hope you all HAD a fantastic weekend
Restful, and in the company of extended family - the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2016, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Reputation: 8603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Erin Andrews wished James Hinchliffe a Happy Thanksgiving on "Dancing With the Stars".
I find that Americans who are aware that Canadian Thanksgiving is in October tend to overestimate its importance in Canada a bit. And that's why we get all of these good wishes from Americans for this day.


Yes, it is "marked" by most people with a family dinner, but for having spent Thanksgiving in the U.S. it's nowhere near as big a deal.


Others will correct me if I am wrong but it's about the same as Mother's Day and Father's Day in Canada. Behind Christmas and behind Easter even.


Which is a far cry from what it is in the U.S., where it almost seems like it rivals Christmas.


Again, this is just my observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Canada
4,699 posts, read 8,490,868 times
Reputation: 4888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I find that Americans who are aware that Canadian Thanksgiving is in October tend to overestimate its importance in Canada a bit. And that's why we get all of these good wishes from Americans for this day.


Yes, it is "marked" by most people with a family dinner, but for having spent Thanksgiving in the U.S. it's nowhere near as big a deal.


Others will correct me if I am wrong but it's about the same as Mother's Day and Father's Day in Canada. Behind Christmas and behind Easter even.


Which is a far cry from what it is in the U.S., where it almost seems like it rivals Christmas.


Again, this is just my observation.
I'd say, at least for the people I know, it's well ahead of Mother's and Father's day, much closer to Easter for the secular if not quite there, but nowhere near Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Reputation: 8603
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I'd say, at least for the people I know, it's well ahead of Mother's and Father's day, much closer to Easter for the secular if not quite there, but nowhere near Christmas.
Thanks for this.


I admit that my view might be tainted a bit by living in Quebec, where as you know it's even less of a big deal for francophones.


I've always found that my family, which are mostly francophones from outside Quebec, marked Thanksgiving in a bigger way than the average Québécois did. Probably due to more Anglo-American influences.


But as I mentioned even among old stock English-speaking Canadians, it does not seem to be as big a deal as for Americans.


In the U.S., the whole family tries to get together at Thanksgiving like they (and we) do at Christmas. Even out-of-towners.


It seems to me that most Canadians don't really do this, although there is the classic first-year university student who goes back home for Thanksgiving in October. And a certain number of them never go back to uni...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Reputation: 8603
BIMBAM, your secularism angle is an interesting one.


I wonder if, as our society becomes more secular (or at least, less Christian), that the focus won't move away more from unabashedly Christian holidays like Christmas and Easter, and that stuff like Thanksgiving might not become a much bigger deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Canada
4,699 posts, read 8,490,868 times
Reputation: 4888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
BIMBAM, your secularism angle is an interesting one.


I wonder if, as our society becomes more secular (or at least, less Christian), that the focus won't move away more from unabashedly Christian holidays like Christmas and Easter, and that stuff like Thanksgiving might not become a much bigger deal.
Especially with more mixing of families in multicultural cities. Your Hindu inlaws might be more comfortable having everyone over, including someone's Jewish wife, for Thanksgiving rather than at Easter. I do expect things might end up trending that way. It's a Canadian holiday immigrants from non-christian traditions can whole heartedly embrace and feel more connected to their community through in a way Easter and (sometimes) Christmas can't be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,685 posts, read 8,753,261 times
Reputation: 7299
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Especially with more mixing of families in multicultural cities. Your Hindu inlaws might be more comfortable having everyone over, including someone's Jewish wife, for Thanksgiving rather than at Easter. I do expect things might end up trending that way. It's a Canadian holiday immigrants from non-christian traditions can whole heartedly embrace and feel more connected to their community through in a way Easter and (sometimes) Christmas can't be.
Agree. It's an easy holiday where there is no overtly religious symbols. Everyone can understand being thankful, and many cultures across the world have days of thanks.
The only thing religious may be a prayer of thanks before dinner.

As others have noted it's not a huge deal here. Partly I believe because unlike in the US it's not the beginning of the much larger Christmas season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Reputation: 8603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Agree. It's an easy holiday where there is no overtly religious symbols. Everyone can understand being thankful, and many cultures across the world have days of thanks.
The only thing religious may be a prayer of thanks before dinner.

As others have noted it's not a huge deal here. Partly I believe because unlike in the US it's not the beginning of the much larger Christmas season.
I've also noticed that even Christmas seems to be marginally bigger in the U.S. (Coming from a French Canadian Catholic family and living in Quebec, that's saying something!)


Given that Canada is a northern country, I thought that Christmas in the U.S. would be, at best, roughly equivalent to Canada.


I should have known better. Everything is larger than life down there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2016, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Southern Quebec
1,284 posts, read 900,771 times
Reputation: 1873
To the OP:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2016, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Southern Quebec
1,284 posts, read 900,771 times
Reputation: 1873
Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

If anyone has any turkey leftovers, what are you going to make with them?

Will you freeze the meat to eat later?

I'm making turkey tetrazzini later today. I've never prepared it before, but I found a recipe online that looks relatively easy. If we like it, I will share the recipe in the Food/Recipes thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top