Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 08:08 PM

95 posts, read 119,490 times

Advertisements

Hi folks! I'm a 51 year old single female living in Maine whose mother was born in Quebec. She married an American and moved to the States, which is where I was born. I am considering a move to Canada in the coming years - perhaps when I'm 55 and my house will be paid off (I will be lucky to sell the place for maybe $170k US and maybe net $150k US). I'm apparently a Canadian citizen by virtue of a parent having been born in Canada - I just need to establish residency. I have family in Montreal (aunts, cousins), and my best friend lives in Pickering, Ontario. I've visited her a couple of times a year for 20 years so I've gotten to know Toronto fairly well.

Basically my issue is money. Because of the monthly costs and out of pocket expenses of Medicare once I'm eligible (at age 65) - this is the only national health insurance plan that is offered to Americans (other than to the very poor) - combined with the small 'social security' check I will have if/when I'm ever able to retire - which will be just under $1,000 a month - try living on that - I'm thinking of moving to a country that doesn't charge me for healthcare - something I will need more and more of as I age. I literally won't be able to have my meager monthly check docked $200 a month + $1150 a year as a deductible + the cost of a supplemental plan when living on $1k a month.

So ... as I can't possibly afford any housing in Toronto or even Pickering or Ajax, I'm looking into London and Belleville because I want a town that has a walkable downtown, some cafes, theaters, (nothing fancy - I don't even mind if the downtown isn't majorly bustling i.e. a few empty storefronts is fine), is relatively safe, and is affordable. I'm talking a house or condo under $250k Canadian - absolute max.

I know London is much larger, but I've also heard it's in the "snow belt" and I'm afraid of moving to the Canadian equivalent of Buffalo. Belleville is on the east side of 401, closer to family in Quebec and Vermont, but it's much smaller population wise. I'm hoping I can get by on a part time non professional job i.e. maybe retail, or the like. Doesn't appear there is much employment otherwise in Belleville.

If any of you are familiar with these two towns, or can recommend other towns or mid sized cities that might fit the bill - affordable, not Buffalo as far as snowfall, walkable downtown i.e. not a bunch of strip malls like Pickering w/out an actual downtown, I'd love to hear about them, and thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 08:36 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
I would look at cities with a bit more historical vibe, but that's just me....maybe Peterborough or Kingston? The jobs situation in small town Ontario is very dicey, unfortunately.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:06 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Peterborough and Kingston are both good choices with vibrant, walkable downtowns and homes in your price range. Kingston in particular would be my choice because of the proximity to the medical school at Queens (given your emphasis on good medical care).

Old 10-10-2016, 09:12 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,228,266 times
Enjoy affordable retirement living on the WindsorEssex 100 Mile Peninsula

You should consider Windsor, it's the best kept secret in Canada and has some of the lowest housing costs in the country. Its also the mildest part of Ontario and is surrounded by water. Unemployment is low, only 5.7%, and we have Detroit right across the river.

https://www.thestar.com/life/travel/...ack-story.html

Old 10-10-2016, 04:52 PM

95 posts, read 119,490 times
Wow! Thank you all SO MUCH! I will look into all of these areas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada