U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2016, 07:47 AM

1,284 posts, read 902,620 times

Advertisements

When it comes to pay, jobs, and safety, men and women still don't get equal treatment in this country.

How does your city rank? Infographic on link.

The best and worst places to be a woman in Canada 2016

Montreal - No. 6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 08:19 AM

8,598 posts, read 11,085,198 times
I'd say their methodology is flawed, but hey, what do I know. They're certainly less than transparent on how they achieve their rankings.

I'd fully expect Calgary to be at the bottom and it is, but it's because of the industry in the city. Women haven't been working in oil and gas as a leadership career or in the careers/trades related to it in anywhere near the same numbers as men. It's changing slowly, but a female Geologist or Formation Engineer is still a rare occurrence. You can't force people at the barrel of a gun to pursue a career.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:21 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,365,858 times
I know nothing about the methodology but it's notable that all of the Prairie cities are in the bottom half of the ranking.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:23 AM

Add it to the list of things to lord over the Prairies, since everyone there is so backwater...

(not you Acajack)

Old 10-14-2016, 09:13 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,365,858 times
When I think of the Prairie cities, I was wondering if the difficult socio-economic conditions and low opportunity for women in the largish aboriginal populations might not play a role in the low rankings.

But then, this would not explain Calgary's ranking near the bottom and it's the least aboriginal of all of the large Prairie cities.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
When I think of the Prairie cities, I was wondering if the difficult socio-economic conditions and low opportunity for women in the largish aboriginal populations might not play a role in the low rankings.

But then, this would not explain Calgary's ranking near the bottom and it's the least aboriginal of all of the large Prairie cities.
It's not industry agnostic. Calgary has a large population of HIGHLY paid engineers and professionals in oil and gas (along with nearly every population centre across Alberta and Saskatchewan) that will skew everyone else downward who's not directly participating in that.

It's tough to get a clear picture when you would go to somewhere like a Drumheller, which everyone would be close economically, except for the few dozen guys that are working the rigs who are making $100K plus in a town where the average salary would be $35K. Then you compare female participation in that, and boom, they're "left out".

Old 10-15-2016, 08:35 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,051,616 times
I'm really surprised that Ottawa falls into the bottom half (or even just in the middle of the pack, looking at the big picture)... but I suppose there are still a lot of women here who have the less lucrative gov't jobs, such as admin assistants and data entry and whatnot, whereas more men would still likely have the high paying technical jobs.

Still quite surprised... even if you're an admin assistant here, you'd get awesome benefits, including leave and medical, etc.... really not a bad place to work if you're a woman...

Kitchener-Waterloo is ranked highly, and that surprises me too... I'd have thought there'd be way more men there with high-paying IT careers who would've skewed it, but apparently not.

Interesting methodology... food for thought anyway.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:08 AM

298 posts, read 196,380 times
There is absolutely no place in Canada that is bad for a woman, especially when the prime minister himself is a feminist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or