U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 07:51 PM

13,358 posts, read 7,030,942 times

Advertisements

Canadians are lucky that their gigantic neighbor is the United States. Same could be said of Mexico, actually. Not all countries have the same fortune. After all, many countries have to share a border with Russia. If America were like Russia, there'd be an active American military/weapons presence in Canada that's killing Canadians, trying to take Canadian lands, etc. But the USA isn't. See how beneficial a relationship between two neighbors can be when there's mutual respect of our boundaries and rights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 09:04 PM

15,936 posts, read 6,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
The US is a dying empire filled with resentful, violent white supremacists. What's not to love?

I think Canadians just want to soothe the crazy Americans for fear of the disaster that a Trump administration would be for Canada.

It's fascinating. Over the past two decades, I've watched Canadians go from thinking the US was the most amazing place - the place you went if you wanted to make it big and get out of boring and provincial Canada - to thinking there but for the grace of god go I.

I really think the Bush administration did a huge amount to bolster Canadian nationalism. They saw what the US was really like and realized they have it so much better in Canada. And Trump is just adding to that sentiment.

Two decades ago, I met so many Canadians who were envious of Americans, wanted to live in NYC, etc. Now they're like, "eh, I'm cool in Toronto."
What hate for a country that keeps yours warm and dry under a military umbrella. Or else how could you (or Europe) afford social programs, and for your NDP types to lecture us on being reactionary.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-23-2016 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: The post you replied to was deleted, it was edited out from your post.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:25 PM

21,948 posts, read 27,365,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What hate for a country that keeps yours warm and dry under a military umbrella. Or else how could you (or Europe) afford social programs, and for your NDP types to lecture us on being reactionary.

I am pretty sure Slate is American.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:53 PM

15,936 posts, read 6,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
He/she/it may well be American. I still find it a hateful post, even if Slate is the nicest person in the world.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:01 AM

6,522 posts, read 7,470,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I refuse to refer to America as anything even remotely close to 'great' at this particular time.

Donald. Trump. Is. A. Potential. President. Of. The. Country.
He will never be president. I am a lifelong voter and republican but I will not be voting for president at all. IMO neither one should ever be president and I believe millions of republicans will choose the same option i am choosing, to not vote for president at all. The end result will be a Clinton landslide. She is disliked by most people but she is less scary. Trump is an embarrassment to us Americans, in fact I feel we owe y'all an apology for bringing so much drama to the neighborhood. Hopefully we will regain our national dignity soon, as we know the world is laughing at us. The way I see it having a half wit in charge of the nuclear football is no laughing matter.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:59 AM

18,286 posts, read 10,383,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
He will never be president. I am a lifelong voter and republican but I will not be voting for president at all. IMO neither one should ever be president and I believe millions of republicans will choose the same option i am choosing, to not vote for president at all. The end result will be a Clinton landslide. She is disliked by most people but she is less scary. Trump is an embarrassment to us Americans, in fact I feel we owe y'all an apology for bringing so much drama to the neighborhood. Hopefully we will regain our national dignity soon, as we know the world is laughing at us. The way I see it having a half wit in charge of the nuclear football is no laughing matter.
No worries mate, this too shall pass and get flushed into obscurity.

I would opine that Americans have reached a point of no longer tolerating the status quo in their political structure. The change long promised by many fraudsters has never been so close to actually happening.

It won't be pretty but it will darn sure be cathartic.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:04 AM

213 posts, read 161,103 times
Quote:
Hah - indeed. Born in Illinois, live in NYC.

But I'm also not blind to the fact that the US is a pretty dysfunctional society and currently teetering on the edge of fascism.

And I see that a rather tepid post pointing out obvious problems with American culture gets branded hateful by the visiting "left-wing Democrat."

Grow some thicker skin, buttercup.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:06 AM

8,598 posts, read 11,088,073 times
This is a microcosm of the relationship between the Government and electorate in the US.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:11 AM

21,948 posts, read 27,365,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
Hah - indeed. Born in Illinois, live in NYC.

But I'm also not blind to the fact that the US is a pretty dysfunctional society and currently teetering on the edge of fascism.

And I see that a rather tepid post pointing out obvious problems with American culture gets branded hateful by the visiting "left-wing Democrat."

Grow some thicker skin, buttercup.
The United States of America is arguably the greatest nation-state in modern history by a wide margin.

This is not at all the same as saying the United States of America is perfect. Far from it.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:50 AM

213 posts, read 161,103 times
Quote:
The United States of America is arguably the greatest nation-state in modern history by a wide margin.

Define "great". If you mean in terms of military/economic power, then yes - unquestionably. But if you're implying that American society is morally or ethically superior to that of other countries, then I would respectfully disagree.

As the Trump phenomenon clearly shows, a large minority of Americans are willing to put a demagogue with fascist tendencies into the presidency. Racist ethnonationalism, sexism, and religious fundamentalism have a strong hold on large segments of the population. The unholy alliance between white supremacists, the wealthy, and big corporate interests means that the government at all levels works for moneyed interests and not for the average citizen. The level of militarization in society and of police brutality is astounding. The US is well behind other countries, including Canada and most of Europe, in the protections it affords minority communities - hell, the republican party is assiduously working to disenfranchise people of color, and it still tries to demonize gays at every opportunity. I could go on...

If you want to talk about countries that are "great" in terms of moral example, I'd say Canada is right up there at the top, along with many countries in Western Europe (Netherlands, Scandinavia, arguably even Spain and Ireland), New Zealand, maybe Uruguay. All of those places treat their citizens more equitably and justly than does the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada