U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 11:37 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,513 times

Advertisements

I also don't see what the big deal is here. As overpriced and cliche as Starbucks can be, it's also not the only predominant chain in Toronto. There are a dozen chain coffees you can choose from in the city - second cup, sbux, timmies, balzac's, aroma espresso bar, presse cafe, mcd, marché, etc etc - and usually a ton of independent coffee shops on the major streets. Yesterday I was taking a walk along Bloor West and then around Davisville, and was struck by the amount of independent coffee setups. If you say Toronto lacks good coffee options, you are either just too insulated or simply don't drink enough coffee to begin with.

This is where I went for a walk, and went past 10 coffee shops within a stretch of 7 blocks on Bloor West. 3 of them are coffee chains, and 7 are independent coffee shops. They are literally popping up like wild fire and some of them aren't even shown on the latest Google Map. https://www.google.com/maps/search/c...4129016,17.33z

One good thing I will say about the proliferation of Starbucks is that it has single-handedly brought a coffee drinking revolution in NA and rest of the world, esp in places where coffee culture wasn't as strong as Europe. Because people are now hooked to coffee, the prevalence of Starbucks has also ignited a proliferation of independent chains in cities where Starbucks already have wide coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 01:46 PM

12,688 posts, read 8,753,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I have to totally agree with you too.....

However, is not a matter of "superiority complex", European cuisine experience is, for a lot of reasons (and history plays a big part in it) simply much, much better than Northamerica, there is a culture of food that we simply lack in this continent.
I just felt the earth move.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Living the North American lifestyle i get my coffee where ever is convenient,sometimes its Timmies,MacDonalds,Starbucks,Second Cup or the Petro Canada gas station, while i maybe missing what some may call the ultimate coffee experience all i want is a cup of coffee and not some pretentious expensive exclusive concoction.
Taste buds. They change once you've had something really good. I can never buy cheap wine again

Old 10-24-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Even if they haven't warmed to Starbucks (yet), as you say this doesn't mean they don't feel the pull of more plebean delights. The last time I was in Italy it was shocking to see how the drink of choice for groups of young people out for dinner seemed to be Coca-Cola (big 750 ml or 1 L bottles right on the table).

Where I live in Quebec, unless you are in a fast food place like McDo, drinking soft drinks (especially that conspicuously) with your meal is seen as totally passé, uncool and uncouth by young people.
I remember years ago in France ( not sure if it's the same today ) Coca Cola was still served in the smaller green glass bottles. I'd see people, fashionable ones at that, drinking it in cafes and sometimes on a lunch table. My impression is that it had the same cache as someone here drinking an Orangina before it was as widely available as it is now.

For me however, I just find it odd to have a big bottle of any type of pop on a dinner table. It certainly wasn't allowed in our house when I grew up. Perhaps at a BBQ or picnic, but never at home.

...and on that note, does anyone else remember when fast food was a rare treat. Hamburgers, pizza, pop and chips ( fries ) where given rarely, usually if you behaved on a Sunday drive? Anyone remember Sunday drives? LOL

Last edited by Natnasci; 10-24-2016 at 02:06 PM..

Old 10-24-2016, 02:25 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I remember years ago in France ( not sure if it's the same today ) Coca Cola was still served in the smaller green glass bottles. I'd see people, fashionable ones at that, drinking it in cafes and sometimes on a lunch table. My impression is that it had the same cache as someone here drinking an Orangina before it was as widely available as it is now.

For me however, I just find it odd to have a big bottle of any type of pop on a dinner table. It certainly wasn't allowed in our house when I grew up. Perhaps at a BBQ or picnic, but never at home.

A lot of it is what you might call "xenophilia". Stuff is alluring simply because it's from abroad, far away.

In many countries, brands like McDonald's and Coca-Cola still have a "cool" factor with young people that they lost long ago in the U.S. and Canada.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:13 PM

78,688 posts, read 70,554,766 times
I agree, OP; Americanized, boring. OTOH, if Canada had some Peet's Coffee locations, that would be cool. Peet's is also a teahouse, people may not be aware. It started in California, was later acquired by S'bux. But I'm sure Canada has its own teahouses. I must explore that aspect of Canada next time I'm up there.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:45 PM

2,091 posts, read 1,458,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What chain of coffee shops would you recommend for the real taste of coffee.?
McCafe is one.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:56 PM

48 posts, read 33,402 times
Tim Horton's still reigns over Starbucks in Ontario.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I agree, OP; Americanized, boring. OTOH, if Canada had some Peet's Coffee locations, that would be cool. Peet's is also a teahouse, people may not be aware. It started in California, was later acquired by S'bux. But I'm sure Canada has its own teahouses. I must explore that aspect of Canada next time I'm up there.
I've had Peet's coffee while in Washington State, found it very average. Sorry They sell it some grocery stores here, but honestly there are too many other great coffees out there that I don't think it really has any name recognition here.

As for tea houses, yes tea houses galore and most if not all large hotels do an afternoon tea. Not just " British Style " teas but Asian ones as well. Here is a sampling in my neck of the woods that might interest you if you come to Vancouver.

O5 Tea

Neverland Tea Salon | A delightful new tea salon in the heart of Vancouver's Kitsilano

https://secretgardentea.com

Adonia Teahouse

Rose House Vancouver - Afternoon Tea, Dessert, Tea Room

Steam Tea House

The Capilano Tea House & Botanical Soda Co.

Soho Tea Room - Cambie and 19th, Vancouver

The big daddy of all the tea places IMO is the locally founded Murchies Tea. They've been around since 1894 when they started New Westminster, B.C.

https://www.murchies.com/store/

Old 10-24-2016, 07:23 PM

112 posts, read 87,041 times
I virtually always drink tea, but I enjoy the odd Starbucks. I wish the town I lived in had one as opposed to a nasty Timmies.

I would think one of the reasons for the high number per population is partially just a factor of low population vs huge country. In this area they have them in relatively small cities (Dawson creek, FSJ) as there's simply nowhere bigger to put them nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or