U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 06:18 PM

12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If you mean that negatively, I am not sure it's only the "ignorant" around the world who know very little about Canada.

Also, I wouldn't say Canada has an "image problem". An image problem would be most people having an inaccurate picture of the country and this would have negative implications.

As I said, most people around the world know little about us. We're quite low profile. But when they do think about us, it's positive. But maybe light on the details.
I meant them being ignorant about Canada, so they assume the stereotypes, like being bland and boring. Most people, Botti, excluded, do not find Canada bland or boring once they have actually experienced it. My friends who have visited Vancouver and now other parts of Canada, only came here because I was here. They came to visit and they have been coming back for years. All of them except one, had the stereotypical view that Canada was a nice place...maybe...but boring and bland and even backwards. They don't hold that view today.

Yes, most think positive things about Canada, but the stereotypes are mostly negative. Cold, frozen, not diverse etc.. So I'll stick to the image problem statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 06:52 PM

3,901 posts, read 2,727,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes, most think positive things about Canada, but the stereotypes are mostly negative. Cold, frozen, not diverse etc.. So I'll stick to the image problem statement.
Just curious. Why is the stereotype a problem? Other countries have much worse stereotypes.

I do feel that in general most of the world knows little about Canada but that we are generally perceived as being benign. That's fine with me.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:33 PM

21,946 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Quote:
I meant them being ignorant about Canada, so they assume the stereotypes, like being bland and boring. Most people, Botti, excluded, do not find Canada bland or boring once they have actually experienced it. My friends who have visited Vancouver and now other parts of Canada, only came here because I was here. They came to visit and they have been coming back for years. All of them except one, had the stereotypical view that Canada was a nice place...maybe...but boring and bland and even backwards. They don't hold that view today.

I don't think most people are really that harsh toward Canada. I suppose some might think "if Canada were worth paying attention to, I'd know more about it, so it must be bland and boring".

But I think that when you tell people you're from Canada and they answer with the clueless "ahh… that's nice", they really mean it.

Some of them then probably think they should learn more about Canada. And then quickly forget that idea and move on to something else.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:39 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,179,030 times
Quote:
If you mean that negatively, I am not sure it's only the "ignorant" around the world who know very little about Canada.

Also, I wouldn't say Canada has an "image problem". An image problem would be most people having an inaccurate picture of the country and this would have negative implications.

As I said, most people around the world know little about us. We're quite low profile. But when they do think about us, it's positive. But maybe light on the details.
Which really isn't a bad problem to have, for now.

Looking into the future, as Canada continues its liberal immigration policy and high rate of population growth, I think Canada has every likelihood to increase its global profile that could possibly rival the likes of UK and France:

2011 33,470,000 —
2016 36,540,000 +9.2%
2021 39,110,000 +7.0%
2026 41,750,000 +6.8%
2031 44,430,000 +6.4%
2036 47,130,000 +6.1%
2041 49,900,000 +5.9%
2046 52,910,000 +6.0%
2051 56,070,000 +6.0%
2056 59,400,000 +5.9%
2061 63,000,000 +6.1%

- Statistics Canada

By mid-century, we will most likely see Canada's current population double in size, which will significantly expand government tax base, revenue, consumer market size and aggregate purchasing power, and very likely increased and higher profile participation in global governance (e.g. by 2050 Arctic shipping lanes will be fully open for navigation with climate change in full swing, and we will see increased and more intensified geopolitical participation in Canada's northern frontiers).

Old 10-31-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Just curious. Why is the stereotype a problem? Other countries have much worse stereotypes.

I do feel that in general most of the world knows little about Canada but that we are generally perceived as being benign. That's fine with me.
From a tourism point of view. Many never think of Canada because of the stereotypes. It's better than it used to be, I admit, but I've had to convince friends I've made while travelling, that they can leave the parka at home and we actually have amazing cities and fantastic things to see and do.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I don't think most people are really that harsh toward Canada. I suppose some might think "if Canada were worth paying attention to, I'd know more about it, so it must be bland and boring".

But I think that when you tell people you're from Canada and they answer with the clueless "ahh… that's nice", they really mean it.

Some of them then probably think they should learn more about Canada. And then quickly forget that idea and move on to something else.
Which is fine, as one friend jokes, the less they know about us the better, but as I said to Irene, from a tourism point of view it's not a plus.

On a personal level it doesn't bother me EXCEPT when I have to explain that Canada is a modern country and I know how to use a freeway

Bottl is the one though that seems to have big opinions about Canada being boring and bland. He seems to go in circles, praising us one moment and dissing us the next.

I'm wondering if his upbringing in China is the reason for his lack of knowledge about a simple thing like a supermarket. He certainly got that bit of history wrong.

Also his surprise about why Canada and the US have some things in common. Taiwan and China? Really?

Old 11-02-2016, 07:21 PM

78,674 posts, read 70,531,500 times
Quote:
I've had Peet's coffee while in Washington State, found it very average. Sorry They sell it some grocery stores here, but honestly there are too many other great coffees out there that I don't think it really has any name recognition here.

As for tea houses, yes tea houses galore and most if not all large hotels do an afternoon tea. Not just " British Style " teas but Asian ones as well. Here is a sampling in my neck of the woods that might interest you if you come to Vancouver.

O5 Tea

Neverland Tea Salon | A delightful new tea salon in the heart of Vancouver's Kitsilano

https://secretgardentea.com

Adonia Teahouse

Rose House Vancouver - Afternoon Tea, Dessert, Tea Room

Steam Tea House

The Capilano Tea House & Botanical Soda Co.

Soho Tea Room - Cambie and 19th, Vancouver

The big daddy of all the tea places IMO is the locally founded Murchies Tea. They've been around since 1894 when they started New Westminster, B.C.

https://www.murchies.com/store/
Thank you! And I mentioned Peet's not because of their coffee (I'm not a coffee drinker!), but because they're more versatile than Starbux, in that they sell a good selection of teas, and teapots, mugs, etc. I enjoy that aspect of Peet's. I have no idea what their coffee is like, lol. Hooray for tea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or