U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-26-2016, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Canada
4,699 posts, read 8,496,721 times
Reputation: 4893

Advertisements

Canada's system is good for us and works, but my intuition is that with the US health care system's history and legacies, it would be better to look to Europe than to us. The French health care system is one of the best in the world and they're constantly improving and working on it. They aren't single payer exactly, there's a role for insurance, but it's highly functional. Ask those guys, our system works but it's also not very sophisticated, you guys probably need a more sophisticated solution then just going single payer. The thing to focus on achieving here is "universal health care" not necessarilly "single payer".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_France
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2016, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
2,093 posts, read 1,460,608 times
Reputation: 1426
Germany's system would probably be a much easier transition. They operate at 3/4 government funded and 1/4 private insurance. Even trying to get to something like that in the US would be a monumentally difficult task. But this is mostly a guess on my part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2016, 06:10 PM
 
Location: London, UK
3,458 posts, read 4,011,574 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Germany's system would probably be a much easier transition. They operate at 3/4 government funded and 1/4 private insurance. Even trying to get to something like that in the US would be a monumentally difficult task. But this is mostly a guess on my part.
Germany is a better model than Canada but personally I think the Swiss system is the best one to model the next stage of reform after. The US would not lose the positive aspects (low wait times, advanced technology and a strong commitment to research and development) and still achieve full universal coverage and lower per person spending even though the Swiss is still 3rd highest in the world.

I also think it would be a lot more politically acceptable as the coverage options would expand considerably. The Swiss have over 100 different private plans to choose from, who would be opposed to having that many options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2016, 06:59 PM
 
411 posts, read 1,151,457 times
Reputation: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Keep an eye on Colorado this November, we'll see if the people there even want a single payer system if its passed we'll just have to watch how they are doing.
Interesting. Would you care to elaborate on this (article links etc)? I happen to be in Colorado for the moment.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2016, 02:19 PM
 
6,566 posts, read 9,079,396 times
Reputation: 2842
As far as the U.S looking at Switzerland and other European models. The type of gov't seems to play a part in this. With many Europeans countries their gov't power is more centralized compared to the U.S and this affects how their health care systems are run. The U.S has more state powers. So according to what I got from this article states may need to play more of a role with health care in the U.S making it harder to copy a Switzerland.

Articles: The Swiss Health Care Model Won't Work in the United States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2016, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
2,093 posts, read 1,460,608 times
Reputation: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How much of an issue would America's illegal immigration problem be with a single payer system?
30-50 million illegals is not a small number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2016, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,522 posts, read 7,472,170 times
Reputation: 10928
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Germany's system would probably be a much easier transition. They operate at 3/4 government funded and 1/4 private insurance. Even trying to get to something like that in the US would be a monumentally difficult task. But this is mostly a guess on my part.
I personally have never supported a large government run system, but I do agree that if we are going to have one we should use a working system from another country as a model for ours. Obamacare was created from scratch and it is full of problems. Canada is often cited as a example for us but some have made good points about the differences in population of he two nations and Canada's system was created for a nation of their size. Germany is a bigger country and their health system has maintained a part private component, something that most Americans want. If the liberals win our election and have the power to bring this about I hope they at least do a good job researching our options. There are successful existing systems throughout the western world to study and compare with each other. It's a bit like shopping. They need to do their homework before the do anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2016, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Ontario Canada
48 posts, read 33,432 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I personally have never supported a large government run system, but I do agree that if we are going to have one we should use a working system from another country as a model for ours. Obamacare was created from scratch and it is full of problems. Canada is often cited as a example for us but some have made good points about the differences in population of he two nations and Canada's system was created for a nation of their size. Germany is a bigger country and their health system has maintained a part private component, something that most Americans want. If the liberals win our election and have the power to bring this about I hope they at least do a good job researching our options. There are successful existing systems throughout the western world to study and compare with each other. It's a bit like shopping. They need to do their homework before the do anything.
I'm glad you're one of these people that understand that population difference factor. From the POC section of this site there are some Americans who demand m the reason why the U.S doesn't have exactly the same system as Canada and get ticked off about it. Population is an enormous factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2016, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Montreal > Quebec > Canada
478 posts, read 427,311 times
Reputation: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiebutter View Post
I'm glad you're one of these people that understand that population difference factor. From the POC section of this site there are some Americans who demand m the reason why the U.S doesn't have exactly the same system as Canada and get ticked off about it. Population is an enormous factor.
How so?

Ontario has a much bigger population compared to Prince Edward Island, yet the quality of health services is roughly equivalent. More population simply means more tax payers that will pay for the bigger system. What difference does it make if they have 10 times the population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2016, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Ontario Canada
48 posts, read 33,432 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
How so?

Ontario has a much bigger population compared to Prince Edward Island, yet the quality of health services is roughly equivalent. More population simply means more tax payers that will pay for the bigger system. What difference does it make if they have 10 times the population?
My thought is it would be more difficult to implement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top