Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 10:45 AM

8 posts, read 8,194 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm planning to move to Canada early next year. I'm looking for a city that's close enough to the US that I could just make a day trip to do some shopping, maybe get some groceries, etc. Just as important for me, though (maybe even more so), is the fact that I have a very low tolerance to heat, the sun, and humidity, so I would really like a city where I can avoid those as much as possible.

After doing some research, it sounds like Kingston, ON would be a good choice for me. Still, I thought I'd post a message here in case anyone has any other ideas/suggestions of cities where I could potentially be happy based on that criteria.

Thanks very much in advance!

PS: I do not speak French, so all of Quebec and probably Ottawa are out of the picture for me, as I would probably struggle to find a job there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 10:52 AM

4,866 posts, read 10,499,607 times
Southern Coastal British Columbia sounds like a good fit for you, with milder summers and winters than you'd find in the continental climates of Central Canada. Victoria is a lovely city with a mild climate and is just a ferry ride away from Seattle. The cities of the Lower Mainland (Vancouver to Mission) are similar. In general, if you don't like hot summers, coastal cities are the way to go. Halifax has cool summers but is colder than the West Coast cities in the winter.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:20 AM

Thank you, BIMBAM! I hadn't really considered BC, since I've heard it's very expensive. Victoria does sound nice, although it also sounds like it doesn't get that much snow during the winter. Contrary to my low tolerance to heat, I thrive when it's cold haha. I'm happiest when it's cloudy and rainy/snowy.

Thanks for your suggestion, though, I will add Victoria to my list of possible citites!

Old 10-28-2016, 11:43 AM

14,723 posts, read 14,892,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorCA View Post
Hi all,

I'm planning to move to Canada early next year. ...... < snip > ....... all of Quebec and probably Ottawa are out of the picture for me, as I would probably struggle to find a job there.
Good luck with your plans.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:00 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,161,239 times
Quote:
. I'm happiest when it's cloudy and rainy/snowy.
We must be long lost twins as i also enjoy that kind of climate,bonus points for fog.
I agree with BB the west coast will give you that type of climate you are looking for.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:13 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,680,600 times
Unless you happen to come on a bad day, all Canadian cities are "mild" in the summer. Real hot weather, such as 35C/95F+ is very very rare.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:21 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,499,607 times
Quote:
Thank you, BIMBAM! I hadn't really considered BC, since I've heard it's very expensive. Victoria does sound nice, although it also sounds like it doesn't get that much snow during the winter. Contrary to my low tolerance to heat, I thrive when it's cold haha. I'm happiest when it's cloudy and rainy/snowy.

Thanks for your suggestion, though, I will add Victoria to my list of possible citites!
Well shoot! If you like snow, rain, not too much heat, and are looking for somewhere cheaper, then I'd definitely recommend Atlantic Canada, it sounds like a good fit! There's lots of cool places out that way, but what you do for a living matters as the area isn't across the board prosperous, although the cities tend to have decent economic prospects. Health Care is one area where there's jobs to be had, for example. Aside from Halifax, you may want to look at St. John's as well. A really interesting and different culture from what you may be used to in the US. It's a very artistic city with a strong sense of place and unique feel.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:32 AM

Thank you, all, for your input!

I've been doing even more research and it sounds like I'll have to take all of Ontario out of the running, since I read that it gets very humid during the spring and summer, which definitely isn't something I would like in my future city of residence.

An option that has come up and sounds promising is Langley, BC. It doesn't seem as expensive as Vancouver, it's very close to the US, and it offers that nice west coast weather that you guys have mentioned. Does anyone have any thoughts on Langley?

Old 10-29-2016, 09:54 PM

14,723 posts, read 14,892,538 times
Quote:
An option that has come up and sounds promising is Langley, BC. It doesn't seem as expensive as Vancouver, it's very close to the US, and it offers that nice west coast weather that you guys have mentioned. Does anyone have any thoughts on Langley?
Do you fancy the idea of living in a farming community? Langley Township is almost all farmlands, horse ranches, poultry farms, dairies, vinyards, fruit and nut orchards, etc. (see maps at links) if you're interested in being involved in that kind of agricultural country lifestyle and environment to reside in. It's a truly lovely, pastoral location with salt-of-the-earth "country" people there, but possibly it might get a bit too hot for you for a couple of months in the summers.

The micro-climate that encompasses Langley as well as Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge on the north side of the river causes it to be one of the hotter "hot spot" areas of the B.C. Lower Mainland. It gets more daily sun exposure and higher temperatures and humidity than many other parts of the valley, which is just one of the reasons why it's protected within the Agricultural Land Reserve with such rich soil and productive farm lands.

It's all spread out and gently rolling lands, there's not much industrial, commercial or residential community developments happening except for in a few specifically small areas that are exempted from the ALR. (i.e., Langley City, Walnut Grove, Fort Langley).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langle...t_municipality)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langle...Columbia_(city)

Old 10-30-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Do you fancy the idea of living in a farming community?
Thank you, Zoisite! I'm 27 and single, and even though I've always lived in small-ish cities, I don't think I'm ready to move to a farming community. I'd like just a normal city, even if it's not that big.

I'm starting to think that I'll just have to go somewhere with short summers. I probably won't be able to escape warm temperatures, but maybe I can live if it's just for a month or two out of the year.

What about Abbotsford? It says here that it's the 9th Canadian city with the coolest summer weather: https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ies-summer.php
Is that more of a "normal" city?

Or perhaps Calgary? It's very well ranked on that website and it's only about a four-hour drive to the US.

Last edited by VictorCA; 10-30-2016 at 01:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada