U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 12:51 PM

1,652 posts, read 792,481 times

Advertisements

Hello Canadians!!! My wife and I would like to make our first trip across the boarder for some french fries and gravy!! poutine fries!!!! We are right near the North Dakota and Montana boarder near Williston ND/ sidney MT area wondering where to visit for a day trip. Should we drive straight to Regina or is there a town closer to the boarder that has a nice restaurant to visit? We essentially just want to celebrate our first trip over the boarder by trying the classic Canadian dish! Any advice appreciated!! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 02:44 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,440,242 times
I would say go to regina. Though I don't know how good their fries are. If you had a bit more time I would say come to Winnipeg.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:55 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,492,106 times
Yeah, probably better to straight shoot to Regina which has more stuff to see anyway, they seem to have dedicated places like Coney Island Poutine Cafe, whereas if you stopped earlier somewhere like Weyburn you'd likely be getting it from a fast food chain like A&W (which actually makes a fairly decent poutine to be honest).

Old 10-28-2016, 03:44 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,756,192 times
It not a Canadian classic dish. It's a Quebecois ( Montreal ) classic dish. We never even had it or heard of it outside of Quebec ,except in the last 10 years or so.. You may find a decent place, make sure it's real cheese curds.

The best I've had is in it's hometown of Montreal.

Hate to be the spelling police, but it's BORDER not BOARDER.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It not a Canadian classic dish. It's a Quebecois ( Montreal ) classic dish. We never even had it or heard of it outside of Quebec ,except in the last 10 years or so.. You may find a decent place, make sure it's real cheese curds.
I remember eating poutine for the first time in the early mid 90s back in Halifax. It wasn't very common but it was around back then. Maybe it took longer to hit the west coast?

Old 10-28-2016, 04:22 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,492,106 times
Quote:

The best I've had is in it's hometown of Montreal.

Hate to be the spelling police, but it's BORDER not BOARDER.
I'm pretty sure poutine didn't originate in Montreal, I heard it originated in a small town called Warwick in Quebec, and became popular in smaller, less fancy places like greasy spoons before it became big in the metropolis. Smoked Meat and Montreal Bagels are much more iconic foods for that city, poutine is much more a Quebec in general thing than being associated with the city of Montreal in particular. You can say that it is a Quebecois dish, and this is true, but its not really some ancient tradition, it was invented in the late 50's, and these days it has truly become a Canadian food and has spread to everywhere in the country, and most importantly it's very uncommon outside of the borders of Canada, so it is a pan-Canadian food at this point, even if that is a fairly recent thing. When I first moved out west from Quebec, which wasn't long ago, I found it hard to find pouting that was quite as good as the stuff back at home, but these days poutine that equals what you get in Quebec is everywhere in Vancouver with real curds, alot of it is even better then what is average in Quebec with excellent fries and gravies.

Of course, I wouldn't deny that something like Pierogies or Saskatoon Berry Pie would be more iconic of the prairies than something like poutine, as they've been part of the landscape there for much longer.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I remember eating poutine for the first time in the early mid 90s back in Halifax. It wasn't very common but it was around back then. Maybe it took longer to hit the west coast?
Yup, just like Tim Hortons. Didn't have one here in Vancouver until 1994. Not sure when they started sprouting up like weeds, but do remember they were more of them in the burbs than downtown. Now they are everywhere.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I'm pretty sure poutine didn't originate in Montreal, I heard it originated in a small town called Warwick in Quebec, and became popular in smaller, less fancy places like greasy spoons before it became big in the metropolis. Smoked Meat and Montreal Bagels are much more iconic foods for that city, poutine is much more a Quebec in general thing than being associated with the city of Montreal in particular. You can say that it is a Quebecois dish, and this is true, but its not really some ancient tradition, it was invented in the late 50's, and these days it has truly become a Canadian food and has spread to everywhere in the country, and most importantly it's very uncommon outside of the borders of Canada, so it is a pan-Canadian food at this point, even if that is a fairly recent thing. When I first moved out west from Quebec, which wasn't long ago, I found it hard to find pouting that was quite as good as the stuff back at home, but these days poutine that equals what you get in Quebec is everywhere in Vancouver with real curds, alot of it is even better then what is average in Quebec with excellent fries and gravies.

Of course, I wouldn't deny that something like Pierogies or Saskatoon Berry Pie would be more iconic of the prairies than something like poutine, as they've been part of the landscape there for much longer.
You're right. I'm associating it with Montreal because of it being the first big city that had it. I had my first poutine in Montreal sometime in the 1992.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Yup, just like Tim Hortons. Didn't have one here in Vancouver until 1994. Not sure when they started sprouting up like weeds, but do remember they were more of them in the burbs than downtown. Now they are everywhere.
Really? Wow, I am actually surprised to hear that. As a kid in Halifax I had two Tim Hortons very close to where I lived. I actually had the opportunity to go the Tim Hortons Children camp near Parry Sound, Ontario back in the early 90s. lol

The Tim Horton camp was very nice, bit I didn't have the greatest time there. It almost felt like juvenile hall. When I went there were two groups of kids that got sent there, one group from Nova Scotia and one from Quebec. The French kids could not speak English very well and none of the Nova Scotian kids spoke French. By the second day the fights started. I don't know if they always do that, mixing kids up but it didn't work out that well when I went there. Sorry for the off topic...

Old 10-29-2016, 07:02 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
When I first moved to Quebec, "les Tim Hortons" was a term Quebecers used to make fun of anglophone Canadians from the other provinces. Because they seemed so obsessed by it. (And that the main North American-style donut chain in Quebec at the time was Dunkin Donuts, which had crossed over from New England.)

Fast forward 20 years later and Tim Hortons is all over Quebec, has destroyed Dunkin and is very popular. Though it's not generally seen as an icon of Canadian identity here like it is for some people in other parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or