Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2016, 04:18 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
And he will eat you alive............ Seriously, are you real? All murderous regimes of the recent past (Lenin / Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, Kim Jong-un, ...) originated from social-left. And they took those rights you mentioned. The true nature of the left is to supress freedom.
Wrong. And any extreme is dangerous, left or right. Right wingers like to suppress education, burn books--It was Thomas Jefferson who said that Democracy requires an educated populace. (see below about Thomas Jefferson.) People need to have an education and be able to know what's going on in order to vote sensibly.
-----------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
It's called control. It doesn't work. Our most blighted big cities in the US are all controlled by liberals who want to do all the thinking for the 'ignorant' fools who live there. Sanctuaries for illegals, murders, litter, corruption, drugs, all the good stuff. Chicago, LA, New Orleans, Miami, Detroit, all run by liberals.

----------------------------------------------------
Cherry picking of a few blighted cities means nothing. Here in Massachusetts we are fairly liberal and there's this city called Boston which is doing extremely well. It also has a low murder rate compared to most large cities. There's another city next to it called Cambridge that is extremely liberal and hides illegals--most of us don't agree with that but again, there is not a high murder rate there and it definitely isn't blighted.

An enlightened citizenry is indispensable for the proper functioning of a republic. Self-government is not possible unless the citizens are educated sufficiently to enable them to exercise oversight. It is therefore imperative that the nation see to it that a suitable education be provided for all its citizens.
--Thomas Jefferson.

Jefferson on Politics & Government: Educating the People

A good beginner list of quotes by Thomas Jefferson, a founding father, main author of the Declaration of Independence, Secretary of State under George Washington, and President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 04:19 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
Default ....

Quote:
Sorry "man", it's all about controlling other people and imposing one's own vision on them.
The value system in a lot of the USA is just so clearly different then in Canada.

Ex The right to bear arms vs the right to take away arms from people that go about wanting to shoot unarms kids because they are a different skin colour or play music they don't like too loud.

I think America has fallen from grace in most of the Western World's eyes right now ... but in fairness only time will tell if Trump can actually do something constructive rather then just run his mouth. Hoping he can make America great again.... rather then just hated globally.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:20 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You are in a Canadian forum. Canadian cities are different from US ones in many ways. Planning, development etc can always be better, but there is a reason Canadian cities get ranked as some of the best in the world in which to live.

On that note, out most extreme mayor ever to hold office in Canada, Rob Ford in Toronto, was not a liberal, nor a Liberal, but a Conservative. However, no one I know believes that his political leanings were the real concern. His drug use was and knowing known criminals etc. was.

The great liberal/conservative divide that exists in the US is much less in Canada. It's there, but not on such a personal level.

Your election last night brought that out even more to me. I have Conservative friends, who politically we are polar opposites, but we still get together for a beer ( or 4 ) and when politics comes up, we treat it almost like a sport. In fact, last week we all agreed, that we DON'T want to become like the US where the divide is so great, that the conversation stops.
We need to be ever vigilant though and expend the utmost effort to maintain common human decency and respect. I've noticed a nasty trend emulating that spurious nonsense they seem to love south of us invading some Canadian political intercourse and it needs to get short shrift.

Guy's like Rob Ford should not get recognition for bad behaviour and I don't care if he personally fills the pothole in front of your house. respect has got to cover all the bases and not just the ones you like.

Should a candidate resort to the personal attack, or even attack ads, they've lost me and I don't care what colour their platform is painted. Trudeau got my vote this last election largely due to his running a more restrained campaign and sticking with the issues.

Will he get my vote again? Only if he sticks to the cores principles and doesn't stray into that petty bickering for no good purpose other than to deflect.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:27 PM

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
So based on someone who votes on Donald Trump what are they like as a person?

The same headlines that said he had no chance in winning? the media has been a joke and is continued to be proven to be a huge joke.

Most people don't judge others they don't know
The media can only do so much regardless of if it is considered good or bad influence on the situation.

What I am seeing so far from who appears to be supporting Trump vs. the other options are ....

1. People who support racism ex white America vs. Multicultural America. Last time I checked the KKK was very in support of Trump.
2. Sexism ... people talk to and about women in such a disrespectful way ( as a woman and mother and would never choose anyone that acted like he does to respresent anything of value ... far less a country).

I am going to stop ... I could go on and on because I really can't think of any reason why anyone would vote for him vs anyone else that was running. I think that part had way better choices of people would could conduct themselves and represent American in a respectful way without acting like a clown. Hopefully this move does not negatively impact anyone other them Americans.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:28 PM

605 posts, read 669,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Re-voting how a person likes. I agree. People have the right to vote how they like... but wow this is just a reminder that people have very different and concerning views on topics that will directly impact the rights of others. Ex Ethnic and religious minorities, women and the LGBT community. It also reminds me personally about how much harder as a person I should be working to make sure the views and values I believe in be heard before this tragic situation happens in my own country.

As a woman and a minority I find it 100% offensive that someone like that got selected to be a president. The fact that he was selected by the majority of Americans to represent them should tell the rest of the world what American are really like. Totally concerning.
This viewpoint is just flat out ignorant and not grounded in reality what so ever. Many Americans (including a lot of minorities since he actually attracted a much higher percentage of the Asian/Latino/and Black vote compared with past Republican candidates such as Mitt Romney) who voted for Donald Trump did so because they were tired of the corrupt political establishment (that goes for both parties by the way) dictating things and creating policies that are detrimental to the health and well being of the country such as wasting taxpayer money on foreign military aid that gets squandered in places like Iraq and Pakistan while our infrastructure weakens and collapses or creating disastrous trade policies like the Trans-Pacific Partnership which weakens our manufacturing base (FYI even Joseph Stiglitz who is an economist who won the nobel prize claims that the TTP would be disastrous for both the US and Canada if implemented). Hillary Clinton was part of the corrupt status quo and profited from those same policies which is why voters even in reliably Democratic "Blue" states like Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania voted for Trump.

Anyways if you really think that low of Americans (Ie that we are all racist bigots), you and your fellow Canadians are more than welcome to stay where you are since it is not like you or your money will be missed.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:30 PM

Default ?

Quote:
Bingo. I have read it right here in the Canadian forum. How some members want to control population density, urban sprawl, road construction and so on around the city of Toronto. They want CONTROL of people and to take away their self-determination, to live as they wish. They know better than the ignorant hicks, rednecks and suburbanites with their big cars and green lawns. It's always about controlling others for the left and never about freedom.

Yes .. in Toronto we don't want people just putting up tents anywhere? If they own the property that is a different story. This is not the middle of no where.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:32 PM

Default ????

Quote:
It's called control. It doesn't work. Our most blighted big cities in the US are all controlled by liberals who want to do all the thinking for the 'ignorant' fools who live there. Sanctuaries for illegals, murders, litter, corruption, drugs, all the good stuff. Chicago, LA, New Orleans, Miami, Detroit, all run by liberals.
LOL.. strange. What are you talking about?

Old 11-09-2016, 04:34 PM

295 posts, read 263,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Wrong. And any extreme is dangerous, left or right. Right wingers like to suppress education, burn books--It was Thomas Jefferson who said that Democracy requires an educated populace. (see below about Thomas Jefferson.) People need to have an education and be able to know what's going on in order to vote sensibly.
-----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------
Cherry picking of a few blighted cities means nothing. Here in Massachusetts we are fairly liberal and there's this city called Boston which is doing extremely well. It also has a low murder rate compared to most large cities. There's another city next to it called Cambridge that is extremely liberal and hides illegals--most of us don't agree with that but again, there is not a high murder rate there and it definitely isn't blighted.

An enlightened citizenry is indispensable for the proper functioning of a republic. Self-government is not possible unless the citizens are educated sufficiently to enable them to exercise oversight. It is therefore imperative that the nation see to it that a suitable education be provided for all its citizens.
--Thomas Jefferson.

Jefferson on Politics & Government: Educating the People

A good beginner list of quotes by Thomas Jefferson, a founding father, main author of the Declaration of Independence, Secretary of State under George Washington, and President.
Yes, right can supress freedom, but only left does it under disguise of liberation.

Anyway, your candidate has lost and you will have to accept Vox Populi, regardless of liking it or not.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:39 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
This viewpoint is just flat out ignorant and not grounded in reality what so ever. Many Americans (including a lot of minorities since he actually attracted a much higher percentage of the Asian/Latino/and Black vote compared with past Republican candidates such as Mitt Romney) who voted for Donald Trump did so because they were tired of the corrupt political establishment (that goes for both parties by the way) dictating things and creating policies that are detrimental to the health and well being of the country such as wasting taxpayer money on foreign military aid that gets squandered in places like Iraq and Pakistan while our infrastructure weakens and collapses or creating disastrous trade policies like the Trans-Pacific Partnership which weakens our manufacturing base (FYI even Joseph Stiglitz who is an economist who won the nobel prize claims that the TTP would be disastrous for both the US and Canada if implemented). Hillary Clinton was part of the corrupt status quo and profited from those same policies which is why voters even in reliably Democratic "Blue" states like Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania voted for Trump.

Anyways if you really think that low of Americans (Ie that we are all racist bigots), you and your fellow Canadians are more than welcome to stay where you are since it is not like you or your money will be missed.
We will see what happens when Saint Trump works his magic. Trump ... less corrupt .. right. Like I said ... lets hope this choices is America's problem and does not impact the rest of the world. America voted... let American and hopefully only America deal with the consequences.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:42 PM

605 posts, read 669,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
We will see what happens when Saint Trump works his magic. Trump ... less corrupt .. right. Like I said ... lets hope this choices is America's problem and does not impact the rest of the world. America voted... let American and hopefully only America deal with the consequences.
You seriously don't think Hillary Clinton is corrupt?

I highly recommend you try reading Wikileaks sometime especially regarding the emails. Donald Trump might not be the best candidate but at least he has a relatively clean political record unlike Clinton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada