U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2016, 08:32 PM

4,249 posts, read 8,138,831 times

Advertisements

Massive protests across the US:

"Not My President"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-san-francisco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 08:40 PM

12,685 posts, read 8,747,108 times
What a surprise.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...pa-transition/

Old 11-09-2016, 08:41 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,779,288 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
You seriously don't think Hillary Clinton is corrupt?

I highly recommend you try reading Wikileaks sometime especially regarding the emails. Donald Trump might not be the best candidate but at least he has a relatively clean political record unlike Clinton.
She is a politician... they are all corrupt to some extend. In fact in my opinion most people with substantial wealth are all to some extend.

But what is not is more important....

1. She is not lacking in political experience
2. A bully
3. An open racist
4. A big mouth you tries to instigate conflict
5. A sexist

I will take a corrupt diplomat who can behave appropriately over a big mouth sexist racist corrupt clown any day of the week. I am not sure if many people realize how much power they just accused this insane person. I bet people from places like Libya, Iran and North Korea are all shaking their heads saying ... darn you guys got suckered in by a lunatic too .

Old 11-09-2016, 08:45 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Nah, things like access to healthcare, safety, and education are pretty easily measured. Besides, I'd rather live in a country that doesn't
need this on the door to a Starbucks.
The more and more I think about how crazy this situation is and the fact the this crazy person won this election it really makes me scared to think ... maybe we really do need to build a wall.... a bullet proof wall. This is surreal.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:46 PM

26,085 posts, read 28,490,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It would be way more accurate to say that there are two visions of the United States that are at odds with each other, duking it out: the one that you like and the one that you dislike.

Sometimes one carries the day, sometimes it's the other.
Spot on.

And the problem for some of us is, neither of these is palatable to many of us. They seem like 2 different forms of oppression wearing different masks. Yet, no better alternative has been offered in the last 35 years.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:50 PM

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Massive protests across the US:

"Not My President"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-san-francisco
Amen! If Trump wants to act like a bully I am glad some Americans are already starting to try to make sure the world knows that they just a concerned and displeased about this out come.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well; unusual for me, but have to lend support to your premise and suggest an apology is not appropriate for Americans having exercised their right.

I count many Americans as close friends and can attest this was not an easy choice for the majority of them.

In the end you have to consider more than simply watching from afar.

How many Americans voted from having seen many disabled vets from recent military incursions over nothing more than economic gain for the top tiers.

How many Americans voted as a result of watching the further erosion of racial harmony as indicated by the Trayvon Martin Case forward... A black president, it could have been expected, would have taken great steps to enhance that instead of making moves that were perceived to further divide.

There have been any number of reasons why corruption in Washington has been causing a gradual simmering of resentment that picked this election cycle to explode into a Trump vote. The 2008 financial collapse and it's resultant damage to so many people is still in the front sights of many down there and they perhaps thought a returning Clinton would simply rubber stamp more of the same.

The ACA enacted through a bully tactic without citizen consultation, whether good or bad, was the wrong way to go about changing the very long held core beliefs of many Americans as it regards their healthcare. You do not engage people by telling them "it's for their own good".

When talking to my friends, I'm always struck by their frustration with the whole Washington scene and it's seeming complete disconnect with citizen welfare as a whole.

I can only opine they decided to throw a hand grenade into the outhouse regardless of the resultant mess, in the hopes the new one will maintain it's fresh paint smell longer.

Any way you look at it; for a reasonably intelligent electorate to have voted as they did, there must have been some very tangible pent-up frustration with the entire system.
Well said. This short video also captured the feeling pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yR-tvxrDxA

Old 11-09-2016, 08:54 PM

19,838 posts, read 18,845,295 times
It would be way more accurate to say that there are two visions of the United States that are at odds with each other, duking it out: the one that you like and the one that you dislike.

Yes. But this is the most extreme it's even been, maybe since the Civil War when we almost split into two countries. I believe health care is a right. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness--how can you have Life if you don't have any health care?

No health insurance but in some states people actually carry guns around with them? The list goes on, list of nonsense. I guess I am "lucky" because I can legally immigrate to England and they don't go walking around with guns. Not wanting to leave my country but this doesn't feel like my country now. Go ahead and tell me to get going. I don't care.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Our cross-border policies are not lax. They are strictly enforced.
If only that were the case in America. If it had been, perhaps Trump would not have been elected.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:06 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Yes. But this is the most extreme it's even been, maybe since the Civil War when we almost split into two countries. I believe health care is a right. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness--how can you have Life if you don't have any health care?

No health insurance but in some states people actually carry guns around with them? The list goes on, list of nonsense. I guess I am "lucky" because I can legally immigrate to England and they don't go walking around with guns. Not wanting to leave my country but this doesn't feel like my country now. Go ahead and tell me to get going. I don't care.
Just saying in case... if the USA does spit ... I think Canada could totally make room for a few more provinces ex the ones on the East and West Coast North to South would be my picks ( Hawaii and PR ... too) ... they can keep the middle . Then the map would look like a person holding out their arms to embrace the world ! ( Hey if Donald Trump could become President ... just about anything is possible so I might well throw this idea out there.... )!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or