U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2016, 12:08 PM

5,957 posts, read 7,327,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
But some Americans have to understand that the terms liberal as an ideology isn't considered bad in Canada.
Most of our Conservatives would be considered liberal by Americans.

The pricing out of the middle-class in cities exists in Canada as well. It's not a liberal or even a conservative cause. It's a free market that is being just that. One that some are now asking governments to impose restrictions to control. The very opposite of what you seem to be proposing.
I don't know, I read the party platforms from the 2015 federal election and the Conservatives didn't seem to different on most issues to me besides health care from the GOP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 12:09 PM

5,957 posts, read 7,327,169 times
Quote:
The fact that over 90 percent of Canadians would oppose Trump if he were running here ( he would never have gotten out of the gate though ) shows that Canadians are more like minded that their American counterparts.

Canadians moving to the US has NEVER been for political reasons. It's been certain schools, jobs and family.
A Canadian friend has pointed me to an article that one of the women running for leader of the Conservative party said she wanted to bring Trump's message to Canada. As Brexit and Trump winning proved, it's not a good idea to doubt things like this happening anymore.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:09 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,762,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Not the ones I know from London and Mississagua. They fire off some pretty good rants and are good bit to the right of me.
I said most not all. Plus people tend to gravitate towards people who share the same values and ideas.

In the US if someone supports the idea for Universal Healthcare they would be considered " liberal " Not so in Canada.

As for our more extreme right wingers...guess where the ideology comes from? That's right your country. Harpers ties to the right wing in the US are well documented.

Anyway, my point is that your divided comment seemed lacking in how the divisions in Canada compare to the US.

Last edited by Natnasci; 11-10-2016 at 12:22 PM..

Old 11-10-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
A Canadian friend has pointed me to an article that one of the women running for leader of the Conservative party said she wanted to bring Trump's message to Canada. As Brexit and Trump winning proved, it's not a good idea to doubt things like this happening anymore.
She has no traction and it makes good headlines. They tried the religion/race thing in the election last year. It was rejected soundly.

I'm not naive enough to know things could change, but as it stands, I don't see this in Canada. We don't have a situation like BREXIT. I suppose you could throw all trade agreements into that basket, but it's not the same.

The way a party leader is elected is different than the US, so any savvy Conservative, won't vote for her since they KNOW it just won't work here.

In the distant future who knows. No country is immune from the ignorant.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:30 PM

293 posts, read 162,065 times
Quote:
She has no traction and it makes good headlines. They tried the religion/race thing in the election last year. It was rejected soundly.

I'm not naive enough to know things could change, but as it stands, I don't see this in Canada. We don't have a situation like BREXIT. I suppose you could throw all trade agreements into that basket, but it's not the same.

The way a party leader is elected is different than the US, so any savvy Conservative, won't vote for her since they KNOW it just won't work here.

In the distant future who knows. No country is immune from the ignorant.

So anybody having views different from your "liberal/left" opinion is ignorant?

Old 11-10-2016, 12:30 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,073,775 times
Quote:
You're right. His behaviour so far has shown us how great a president he will be.

Once he walks through the magic doors of the White House, he will become someone all can look up to.
I invite you to read some of the headlines about Reagan in the 1980 election

"I am scared that if Ronald Reagan gets into office, we are going to see more of the Ku Klux Klan and a resurgence of the Nazi Party,” Coretta Scott King said in November, 1980."

"He’s a “nitwit,” added a Democrat. “He’s shallow, superficial and frightening,” one of that year’s historic numbers of “undecideds” insisted."

"Ronald Reagan “seems not to relish complexity and subtlety,” the New York Times editorial endorsing President Jimmy Carter’s re-election proclaimed. “The problem is not a loose lip but the simple answer.” While fearing what Reagan’s own running mate, George H.W. Bush, had dismissed as Reagan’s “voodoo economics” during their primary fight, the editorial board feared “voodoo diplomacy,” too."

"From coast to coast, half of a divided nation abhorred — and underestimated — the president-elect. “The American people,“ Hamilton Jordan, a key Carter aide, said, "are not going to elect a 70-year-old, right-wing, ex-movie actor to be president.”

Granted, I'm not saying that Reagan was the best president, far from and I did not vote for Trump....however Reagan, for better or for worse, did shape an entire generation and changed the world

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-10-2016 at 01:00 PM..

Old 11-10-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I don't know, I read the party platforms from the 2015 federal election and the Conservatives didn't seem to different on most issues to me besides health care from the GOP.
I should of been clearer. The Conservative Party in Canada is not the Conservative Party of the past. They used to be the Progressive Conservatives. A fiscally conservative party, but not socially conservative.

A party much more right wing, The Reform Party ( among others ) took hold of the Progressive Conservatives, dropped Progressive from their name because they were both socially and fiscally conservatives. They came from Alberta, a conservative province.

The parties platform, I admit, i have not read, but I'm guessing it doesn't call for the end of Universal Healthcare, ( although it is well known that Harper opposed it ) because that would be politics suicide in Canada.

Harper's ideology and religious beliefs are basically fundamentalist in nature. A very US style of politics.

Some peoples party loyalty may have been tested under Harper, but obviously some held their noses and voted Conservative because they always had, or some felt that the MP running in their riding was a better person to represent them than the other parties candidates.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is most voters don't read or pay attention enough to a parties platform, so I wouldn't just use that as a gage on how a person thinks about issues.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Nah, things like access to healthcare, safety, and education are pretty easily measured. Besides, I'd rather live in a country that doesn't
need this on the door to a Starbucks.

Nat, Nat...I lived in Canada...I know very well the "paradise up north"....no, even these things can still be "interpreted" up to a point....not saying that Canada is bad....but to the average citizen it offers no advantage whatsoever over the US.

Are you afraid of open carriers?? ahahaha LOL These are the last people you should be afraid of but it is a concept that you fail to understand over and over....

Old 11-10-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
So anybody having views different from your "liberal/left" opinion is ignorant?
No, I didn't say that. What I did say is that history shows us that when destructive powers get into office it is because people haven't been paying attention to the facts. Being ignorant is not the same as being stupid, but most stupid people are ignorant.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
The parties platform, I admit, i have not read, but I'm guessing it doesn't call for the end of Universal Healthcare, ( although it is well known that Harper opposed it ) because that would be politics suicide in Canada.

To be fair, Trump never advocated for the elimination of Obamacare and going back to the previous system...listen what he said.....replacing it with something else......I bet we will end up eventually with a universal healthcare system with private options.....and if there is someone with the ability of jam it down the throat of Republicans, that man is Trump..

Reagan actually increased taxes....

Trump is not a hardcore GOP.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or