U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-11-2016, 06:18 AM
 
Location: Here and now.
11,917 posts, read 3,634,332 times
Reputation: 12869

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I liked all the rest of your post but want to comment on the above, specifically the first sentence because I think it's a very wrong assumption for you to make about Canadians and a reprimand to them that is uncalled for.

Except for occasional trolls mouthing off, nowhere here on this forum or anywhere online or in the media will you find sincere Canadians saying they're proud of Americans saying they are fleeing the USA to come to Canada. Canada doesn't want to be considered just any old convenient port in a storm to American runaways and you won't find any Canadians on this forum to have been encouraging Americans to come to Canada. Some Americans have asked how easy it would be to come to Canada and Canadians have been honest in informing them how difficult it really is and in directing them to proper resources to determine their qualifications and eligibility. That is all. Nobody here has said "Come to Canada" and nobody wants some other country's resentful runaways.

I totally agree with you that anyone who thinks it's easy to just hop across the border and take advantage of Canada as an easy port in the storm is not intelligent and not the type of immigrant that Canada wants. That's part of the reason why Canadians have been discouraging Americans in a pique like that who have been thinking about it and threatening to run away from their home.

.
I don't wish to offend, but I need to point out to you that for many of us, this is not a matter of simple resentment. I have been disappointed in the results of American elections before, but this is the first time I have felt not "pique," as you put it, but abject terror.

Yes, I want to run away, but not from my home. My home died on November 8. Trump had nothing to offer but racism, sexism, xenophobia, revenge and other assorted varieties of high-octane hate. And my fellow citizens, in the name of freedom, elected the most authoritarian candidate I have ever seen. Conservatives who have long claimed liberal media bias elected a man whose version of "fair and balanced" is to threaten to sue anyone who dares to question him. I could go on and on, but I suspect you get the point.

The bottom line is, I fear Trump, but even more than that, I fear the people who elected him. I live in a blood-red town in a blood-red state, in what I fear will soon be a blood-red country. I can barely look in the eyes of my friends and neighbors without wondering (except when I know), "Did you choose this?" I have often wished that I lived in a more progressive country, but it has been sort of a dream, until now. At this point, I would be grateful for any port, convenient or otherwise, to escape the horror of Hurricane Donald.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2016, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Here and now.
11,917 posts, read 3,634,332 times
Reputation: 12869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
No, he was not. Hillary won the popular vote or at least it appears that way now. We are a representative republic in which our ingenious forefathers realized the importance of making sure that everybody is properly represented through the electoral college. Were we a mere democracy, the federal elections would focus on New York, LA, Chicago, etc and those in rural areas would be ignored. Crazy big city liberals would be able implement their hair brain policies on people whom they do not understand or even care about. Instead our elected officials have to answer to everybody come election time. Hillary forgot that and ignored those people. She paid dearly.

I'll finish by saying that I did not vote for Trump. I don't think he was a good choice and I am disappointed with the two candidates who were foisted upon us. That said, the sentiment felt in the heartland is very understandable and you might do good to listen to their story rather than call them ignorant.
So now, instead of the coasts and big cities, they focus on a few purple states designated as battlegrounds, effectively discounting the votes of everyone who lives in a state that is either reliably Democrat or Republican. The outcomes in those states are a foregone conclusion, and in the grand scheme of things, those votes don't end up counting for much of anything. Democrat in Tennessee? Republican in California? You might as well forget having your voice counted in a presidential election, thanks to our "ingenous" forefathers (you know, those guys who originally counted black people as 3/5 of a person, and denied women the vote.) This time the Electoral College hurt the left. Next time, it could be otherwise. Will that also be "proper representation?"

BTW, it's "do well." Not than I'm calling you ignorant, not at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Here and now.
11,917 posts, read 3,634,332 times
Reputation: 12869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Let's see: New York had a Republican mayor for almost 20 years before the current idiot got in. Crime is up under him and before those two mayors, it was a cesspool. Seattle, Portland and San Fran are filled with sniveling snowflakes. They don't have the capacity to be violent.
You say this like it's a bad thing...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 08:15 AM
 
2,560 posts, read 2,179,030 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
You say this like it's a bad thing...?
Just ignore him.

On a lighter note, looks like some forward-thinking folks have already started the "Count Down to 2020" clock: https://www.bustle.com/articles/1945...-chuckle-today

The silver lining to all this is that Trump has just single-handedly given all the raw materials that comedians and late night shows will need for the next 4 years. Any respectable comedian would find a gold mine in Mr. Trump it's simply ingenious that he won. Who needs to go to Hollywood blockbusters or operas or sports games now when you have this comic gold mine on the news day in day out for the next 4 years, so I really want to thank Mr. Trump for this self-less service to the citizens of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 08:32 AM
 
18,272 posts, read 10,371,545 times
Reputation: 13329
Americans of all stripe need to get a grip!

Consider carefully. Apply some personal introspection. Analyse in a logical fashion what has caused this terrible acrimony between a considerable portion of citizenry.

Yes; you've been manipulated into sniping at each other in the most inane and infantile manner.

YOU ALL made it easy for them!

Instead of demanding your press supply nothing more than the facts; you acquiesced to them feeding you bullcrap with opinions attached to the extent the opinion gradually gained supremacy over the limited amount of fact provided. Soon enough you weren't tuning into your news channels for anything other than to get the daily briefing on what you were supposed to think.

You now pick your news channels commiserate to being fed your daily diet of what you have come to desire and expect to hear that agrees with the opinion you formed yesterday from being fed the same.

Your news presenters have no problem attaching spurious assessments to those holding an opposing opinion as if their primary function now is nothing more than cheerleaders.

You can only blame conditions and others so much. Americans eagerly grasped onto the concept of being patterned in their thinking like those drowning would to a thrown life ring.

You need to go back to thinking for yourselves and respecting opposing opinion as well as giving careful inspection to those before dismissing them out of hand because they are either Red or Blue in origin. Since when did Americans get such prurient glee out of vilifying their neighbours, friends and indeed, even family members for merely holding an opposing opinion. That used to be one of the moral cornerstones of your society.

That also used to be what made America "great"; not what the "Donald" has chosen (and a simpering mass has lemming-like accepted) to describe as the measurement of American greatness.

A significant measure of the world's inhabitants craved for what you had not because they could trade in the camel for a chevy cavalier but because in the United States, all reasonable viewpoints were given the right to be expressed without fear of retribution. FREEDOM to use another word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Here and now.
11,917 posts, read 3,634,332 times
Reputation: 12869
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Americans of all stripe need to get a grip!

Consider carefully. Apply some personal introspection. Analyse in a logical fashion what has caused this terrible acrimony between a considerable portion of citizenry.

Yes; you've been manipulated into sniping at each other in the most inane and infantile manner.

YOU ALL made it easy for them!

Instead of demanding your press supply nothing more than the facts; you acquiesced to them feeding you bullcrap with opinions attached to the extent the opinion gradually gained supremacy over the limited amount of fact provided. Soon enough you weren't tuning into your news channels for anything other than to get the daily briefing on what you were supposed to think.

You now pick your news channels commiserate to being fed your daily diet of what you have come to desire and expect to hear that agrees with the opinion you formed yesterday from being fed the same.

Your news presenters have no problem attaching spurious assessments to those holding an opposing opinion as if their primary function now is nothing more than cheerleaders.

You can only blame conditions and others so much. Americans eagerly grasped onto the concept of being patterned in their thinking like those drowning would to a thrown life ring.

You need to go back to thinking for yourselves and respecting opposing opinion as well as giving careful inspection to those before dismissing them out of hand because they are either Red or Blue in origin. Since when did Americans get such prurient glee out of vilifying their neighbours, friends and indeed, even family members for merely holding an opposing opinion. That used to be one of the moral cornerstones of your society.

That also used to be what made America "great"; not what the "Donald" has chosen (and a simpering mass has lemming-like accepted) to describe as the measurement of American greatness.

A significant measure of the world's inhabitants craved for what you had not because they could trade in the camel for a chevy cavalier but because in the United States, all reasonable viewpoints were given the right to be expressed without fear of retribution. FREEDOM to use another word.

First off, I will thank you to not generalize. Statements using the words "all, none, always, never," tend to be wrong. Not all of us made it easy. There are people in this country who get their news from a variety of sources, who read and even respect writers with opposing views. Granted, there are far too many, probably a majority, who are stuck in an echo chamber that reinforces what they want to hear and discounts all else as a pack of lies, but...not all of us. Finding news sources that are not blatantly skewed is difficult in this country, but I assure you, some of us try.

Second, there is no glee to be found in fighting with friends, neighbors, and family. It is heartbreaking. Sometimes it is frightening.

If I am being over-sensitive, please forgive me. It's just hard to feel as if I am being held responsible for a portion of this hatred when that is the one thing I never, never wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 09:29 AM
 
2,567 posts, read 1,336,012 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I don't wish to offend, but I need to point out to you that for many of us, this is not a matter of simple resentment. I have been disappointed in the results of American elections before, but this is the first time I have felt not "pique," as you put it, but abject terror.

Yes, I want to run away, but not from my home. My home died on November 8. Trump had nothing to offer but racism, sexism, xenophobia, revenge and other assorted varieties of high-octane hate. And my fellow citizens, in the name of freedom, elected the most authoritarian candidate I have ever seen. Conservatives who have long claimed liberal media bias elected a man whose version of "fair and balanced" is to threaten to sue anyone who dares to question him. I could go on and on, but I suspect you get the point.

The bottom line is, I fear Trump, but even more than that, I fear the people who elected him. I live in a blood-red town in a blood-red state, in what I fear will soon be a blood-red country. I can barely look in the eyes of my friends and neighbors without wondering (except when I know), "Did you choose this?" I have often wished that I lived in a more progressive country, but it has been sort of a dream, until now. At this point, I would be grateful for any port, convenient or otherwise, to escape the horror of Hurricane Donald.
I fear Hurricane Hillary and her riotous progressive supporters. You should be scared too. The poor woman was pregnant and the progressives attacked her anyway. Vile human beings.

I highly recommend to our Canadian neighbors that you stay home until law enforcement can get the radical progressives locked up.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJkjLoZuxbQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Thunder Bay, ON
2,610 posts, read 3,761,439 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
So now, instead of the coasts and big cities, they focus on a few purple states designated as battlegrounds, effectively discounting the votes of everyone who lives in a state that is either reliably Democrat or Republican. The outcomes in those states are a foregone conclusion, and in the grand scheme of things, those votes don't end up counting for much of anything. Democrat in Tennessee? Republican in California? You might as well forget having your voice counted in a presidential election, thanks to our "ingenous" forefathers (you know, those guys who originally counted black people as 3/5 of a person, and denied women the vote.) This time the Electoral College hurt the left. Next time, it could be otherwise. Will that also be "proper representation?"

BTW, it's "do well." Not than I'm calling you ignorant, not at all...
Not to mention Democrats in Boston and Republicans in Oklahoma can get taken for granted by their respective parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 12:12 PM
 
18,272 posts, read 10,371,545 times
Reputation: 13329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
First off, I will thank you to not generalize. Statements using the words "all, none, always, never," tend to be wrong. Not all of us made it easy. There are people in this country who get their news from a variety of sources, who read and even respect writers with opposing views. Granted, there are far too many, probably a majority, who are stuck in an echo chamber that reinforces what they want to hear and discounts all else as a pack of lies, but...not all of us. Finding news sources that are not blatantly skewed is difficult in this country, but I assure you, some of us try.

Second, there is no glee to be found in fighting with friends, neighbors, and family. It is heartbreaking. Sometimes it is frightening.

If I am being over-sensitive, please forgive me. It's just hard to feel as if I am being held responsible for a portion of this hatred when that is the one thing I never, never wanted.
Oh, you're quite correct.

The figurative and collective I tend to trap myself into due to being referred to in the pejorative sense as 'Canadian' or simply 'Canada as a whole' by your idiot confreres. It's contagious.

We didn't ask for any of this crappola.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 01:01 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
So now, instead of the coasts and big cities, they focus on a few purple states designated as battlegrounds, effectively discounting the votes of everyone who lives in a state that is either reliably Democrat or Republican. The outcomes in those states are a foregone conclusion, and in the grand scheme of things, those votes don't end up counting for much of anything. Democrat in Tennessee? Republican in California? You might as well forget having your voice counted in a presidential election, thanks to our "ingenous" forefathers (you know, those guys who originally counted black people as 3/5 of a person, and denied women the vote.) This time the Electoral College hurt the left. Next time, it could be otherwise. Will that also be "proper representation?"

BTW, it's "do well." Not than I'm calling you ignorant, not at all...
well, it is just the same reason we try to build a $3b one stop subway line in scarborough. lol.
electoral college is stupid.

People should just accept it quietly. This is how democracy works, big surprise. You do get to pick the result. Actually, this election makes me believe, for the first time, it is actually voters who decide the US president, not the rigged system.

Additionally, I suggest those "morally superior" white collars wait until Trump actually does something they hate before all this nonesense violence and bitterness. I don't think he is going to do anything stupid. I do hope you will do two things he promised

1) pull back from this globalization thing. At least this crazy TPP is pretty much dead. I am not against immigration, but 65-70% of US greencards are given to family based immigrants, with 10% to real high skilled workers, which is moronic. In Canada it is over 60% to economic based and 70% for Australia. This is insane.

2) do as he said to pull back from Europe, Middle East and Asia Pacific and stop meddling things around. Stop policing the world. As a great power, the US should use its influence to actually solve issues and facilitate understanding, not to engage in proxy wars serving nothing but its own interest while killing innocents every day. Or go back to the isolation days.

Will he be discriminating hispanics, women or gays? That's extremely unlikely to happen. He is not going to be more popular from doing that, so why bother? Only a person with the IQ of a six year old will be naive enough to think he will actually do the things the said.

Stop crying. Life moves on. The US survived 8 years of Bush and 8 years of Obama. 8 years of Trump is ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top