U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-11-2016, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,691 posts, read 8,765,998 times
Reputation: 7313

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
You have me confused with somebody else.
Whoops. You're right It was meant for The _Wanderer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2016, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,691 posts, read 8,765,998 times
Reputation: 7313
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Vancouver resident Natnasci posted this:

Besides, I'd rather live in a country that doesn't need this on the door to a Starbucks.





He/she seems always worried about Americans carrying guns....
I do worry about the proliferation of guns in the US. Why? Because I have friends and family that live in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,691 posts, read 8,765,998 times
Reputation: 7313
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Sorry...I asked a specific question to a scenario that can happen (Guns are legal in Canada my friend and mass shootings do occur in Canada) is not "irrational nonsense" but, obviously, you do not know how to respond....or, better, you do but you do not want to...I tell you what your answer would be "No I would rather have a gun myself on me or someone next to me with one in a specific situation like that but unfortunately I cannot admit that because that collides with my beliefs"...so, yes I understand your embarrassment...trust me is always the same result with any anti-gun folks I talk to.....is not a "fast one", it is a check mate...

You would rather not having guns next to you but if you find yourself in that situation you would.......oops!!!



I did not suggest anything...go back and read where the entire discussion started....Americans wanting to move to Canada after an election went in a different way they wanted to?? We saw that movie before and nobody actually moved....
Here we go again. Guns are legal in Canada, I think we all know this. However your scenario of YOU being able to carry a handgun, let alone to work, is totally illegal in Canada

We've been through this several times before Sat. Even Chevyspoons, a lawyer schooled you our laws regarding handgun and carry permits etc.

So ya, guns are legal in Canada, but you can't buy a handgun for protection ( you will be denied ), etc. So please STOP with trying to equate the legality of guns in Canada to that somehow being the same as in the US.
It isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,691 posts, read 8,765,998 times
Reputation: 7313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
I fear Hurricane Hillary and her riotous progressive supporters. You should be scared too. The poor woman was pregnant and the progressives attacked her anyway. Vile human beings.

I highly recommend to our Canadian neighbors that you stay home until law enforcement can get the radical progressives locked up.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJkjLoZuxbQ
That's the trouble with US politics right there in your post. You paint one side one way. Blaming all for a few.

Both of your sides do this to some extent. The great divide will only get wider.

You are lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,692 posts, read 6,542,363 times
Reputation: 8193
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
well, it is just the same reason we try to build a $3b one stop subway line in scarborough. lol.
electoral college is stupid.

People should just accept it quietly. This is how democracy works, big surprise. You do get to pick the result. Actually, this election makes me believe, for the first time, it is actually voters who decide the US president, not the rigged system.

Additionally, I suggest those "morally superior" white collars wait until Trump actually does something they hate before all this nonesense violence and bitterness. I don't think he is going to do anything stupid. I do hope you will do two things he promised

1) pull back from this globalization thing. At least this crazy TPP is pretty much dead. I am not against immigration, but 65-70% of US greencards are given to family based immigrants, with 10% to real high skilled workers, which is moronic. In Canada it is over 60% to economic based and 70% for Australia. This is insane.

2) do as he said to pull back from Europe, Middle East and Asia Pacific and stop meddling things around. Stop policing the world. As a great power, the US should use its influence to actually solve issues and facilitate understanding, not to engage in proxy wars serving nothing but its own interest while killing innocents every day. Or go back to the isolation days.

Will he be discriminating hispanics, women or gays? That's extremely unlikely to happen. He is not going to be more popular from doing that, so why bother? Only a person with the IQ of a six year old will be naive enough to think he will actually do the things the said.

Stop crying. Life moves on. The US survived 8 years of Bush and 8 years of Obama. 8 years of Trump is ok.
Wrt your last two paragraphs: are you suggesting that many if not most Trump voters knew he was lying about what he could and would do and voted for him anyway when you say that only a person with the IQ of a six-year-old would be naive enough to believe he will do what he said he would do? And then they are worried about Hillary lying?

The world barely survived 8 years of Bush. We are still paying the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 01:54 PM
 
2,567 posts, read 1,338,542 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
You say this like it's a bad thing...?
I was very wrong with my assumption about the soft people in some cities. The people of Portland have shown that even snowflakes can get violent when the feral pack mentality kicks in.

Again, I implore our neighbors to the north to stay home or at least stay out of the cities until the progressive animals can be caged. It is not the Trump supporters who you should be fearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 03:21 PM
 
3,153 posts, read 2,074,422 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Here we go again. Guns are legal in Canada, I think we all know this. However your scenario of YOU being able to carry a handgun, let alone to work, is totally illegal in Canada

We've been through this several times before Sat. Even Chevyspoons, a lawyer schooled you our laws regarding handgun and carry permits etc.

So ya, guns are legal in Canada, but you can't buy a handgun for protection ( you will be denied ), etc. So please STOP with trying to equate the legality of guns in Canada to that somehow being the same as in the US.
It isn't.

As usually you completely missed the point...yes carrying a handgun for protection is "illegal" in Canada (in reality some people can still get CCP in Canada by the way, depending on their profession), my scenario is about a crazy person shooting in a crowded place something that is entirely possible (and happened) in Canada....I asked BruSan if in that situation he would prefer to be next to someone having a gun...I was not debating the legality of guns in Canada compared to the US....go easy on the beer next time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 03:24 PM
 
3,153 posts, read 2,074,422 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I do worry about the proliferation of guns in the US. Why? Because I have friends and family that live in the US.

Again, gun ownership at an all time high, gun crime at historically low...do not lose any sleep...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 03:45 PM
 
3,153 posts, read 2,074,422 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
electoral college is stupid.

It is not that stupid....that is the difference between a "democracy" and a "democratic republic"..the founding fathers were very wise of developing a system of locks and dams, however imperfect it may be.

A good primer....


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdS6fyUIklI


This is the county by county 2016 election map of the United States (courtesy of the New York Times)




Nobody got over 50% of the vote anyway, and "Hillary won the popular vote" so far by the slimmest of the margin (~250.000 votes, ~0.2%) which probably is within the margin of error of fraudulent/erroneous ballots that always happen in every election. In comparison Al Gore won the popular vote by over half million ballots in 2000.

But the mainstream media, clueless as usual, they are blasting on the first pages: "Hillary won but lost!!!"


Two of the most interesting article I read about Trump victory from a fairly liberal journalists like Glenn Greenwald and Piers Morgan...read it, astonishing clarity about why we got a Trump presidency..Clinton was a truly awful, corrupt, ethically challenged candidate and the Democratic Party thought they could fool most of the people....

https://theintercept.com/2016/11/09/...son-of-brexit/

I do not agree with Piers Morgan on gun control but, oh boy, he hit the nail in the head and drove it under the surface of the wood board with this....

PIERS MORGAN on how Mr and Mrs Ordinary American triggered Millennial Armageddon | Daily Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,691 posts, read 8,765,998 times
Reputation: 7313
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
As usually you completely missed the point...yes carrying a handgun for protection is "illegal" in Canada (in reality some people can still get CCP in Canada by the way, depending on their profession), my scenario is about a crazy person shooting in a crowded place something that is entirely possible (and happened) in Canada....I asked BruSan if in that situation he would prefer to be next to someone having a gun...I was not debating the legality of guns in Canada compared to the US....go easy on the beer next time...
You are slowly getting better at understanding Canadian gun laws. A huge improvement from before. One more thing though. I do hope you understand those who can get an ATC ( Authorization to Carry ) because of their occupations, like a police officer, hand in the weapon when they are off duty. They are not allowed to carry it when not performing their job.

Back to your scenario. In Canada, as has been explained, your scenario is not valid. NOT because of a crazed person shooting, but because YOU or nobody else would be legally carrying a weapon. Period.

Now. If this were in the US. I still say the fantasy that an armed person can stop a mass shooting is just that, a fantasy.

Remember when Gabby Giffords was shot?

"That's what happens when you run with a firearm to a scene of bloody havoc. In the chaos and pressure of the moment, you can shoot the wrong person. Or, by drawing your weapon, you can become the wrong person—a hero mistaken for a second gunman by another would-be hero with a gun. Bang, you're dead. Or worse, bang bang bang bang bang: a firefight among several armed, confused, and innocent people in a crowd. It happens even among trained soldiers. Among civilians, the risk is that much greater."

Armed hero nearly shot wrong man in Ariz. - Slate.com | NBC News

So stop your hero fantasies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top