U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-11-2016, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,753 posts, read 8,844,573 times
Reputation: 7354

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Again, gun ownership at an all time high, gun crime at historically low...do not lose any sleep...
Mass shootings are up. Which means, it's more random. That's scary. Besides, the US is still WAY ahead in gun deaths than the civilized world, AND they will never catch up because crime is going down in Canada and elsewhere as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2016, 03:54 PM
 
3,164 posts, read 2,088,578 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You are slowly getting better at understanding Canadian gun laws. A huge improvement from before. One more thing though. I do hope you understand those who can get an ATC ( Authorization to Carry ) because of their occupations, like a police officer, hand in the weapon when they are off duty. They are not allowed to carry it when not performing their job.

Back to your scenario. In Canada, as has been explained, your scenario is not valid. NOT because of a crazed person shooting, but because YOU or nobody else would be legally carrying a weapon. Period.

Now. If this were in the US. I still say the fantasy that an armed person can stop a mass shooting is just that, a fantasy.

Remember when Gabby Giffords was shot?

"That's what happens when you run with a firearm to a scene of bloody havoc. In the chaos and pressure of the moment, you can shoot the wrong person. Or, by drawing your weapon, you can become the wrong person—a hero mistaken for a second gunman by another would-be hero with a gun. Bang, you're dead. Or worse, bang bang bang bang bang: a firefight among several armed, confused, and innocent people in a crowd. It happens even among trained soldiers. Among civilians, the risk is that much greater."

Armed hero nearly shot wrong man in Ariz. - Slate.com | NBC News

So stop your hero fantasies.

Nat...dense as usual......you did not get my point at all.....I understand Canada gun laws better than you do because actually I did deal with it when I was there, you probably would not be able to distinguish a rifle from a walking cane....get another beer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,753 posts, read 8,844,573 times
Reputation: 7354
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Nat...dense as usual......you did not get my point at all.....I understand Canada gun laws better than you do because actually I did deal with it when I was there, you probably would not be able to distinguish a rifle from a walking cane....get another beer...
Sat, anyone can go back to your old posts where you insisted that it was just as easy to get a handgun in Canada as it is in the US.

Anyone can read my responses and those of Chevyspoons, a lawyer, who had to educate you on this.


That aside.

If you understand that a person in Canada can not get a hand gun for defence, why then mention ATC in Canada for people who need a gun for their job? It sounded to me, that you were trying to make your scenario possible in Canada, by having an armed civilian who had an ATC acting as hero.

You did say

"...yes carrying a handgun for protection is "illegal" in Canada (in reality some people can still get CCP in Canada by the way, depending on their profession), my scenario is about a crazy person shooting in a crowded place something that is entirely possible (and happened) in Canada...."

Once again, your scenario in Canada is fantasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 04:07 PM
 
3,164 posts, read 2,088,578 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Mass shootings are up. Which means, it's more random. That's scary. Besides, the US is still WAY ahead in gun deaths than the civilized world, AND they will never catch up because crime is going down in Canada and elsewhere as well.

Mass shooting up??? That is a subset of gun crime (at historically low) and overall statistically negligible...as usual sensationalism at its best.


Real world call Natnasci....most recent homicide rates available at UNODC (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)

United States 3.9

Canada 1.4


In comparison Japanese, Austrians, Swiss, Nowegians, etc..should be as afraid to live in Canada (rates at 0.5 or less)


Brainwashing at its finest....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 04:10 PM
 
3,164 posts, read 2,088,578 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Sat, anyone can go back to your old posts where you insisted that it was just as easy to get a handgun in Canada as it is in the US.

My God Nat...dense dense dense....getting a bloody CCP is nearly impossible in Canada not getting a gun...get it in your thick hardened skull....

A law abiding citizen can legally acquire a firearm in Canada capisci??? I'm out after this if you insist on this point...

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-11-2016 at 04:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 04:25 PM
 
3,164 posts, read 2,088,578 times
Reputation: 1256
Nat run run!!! Semi auto military style rifles in Canada...my God we will all die!!!




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOu5J-ArJfQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyf2hO4LyR0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,753 posts, read 8,844,573 times
Reputation: 7354
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Mass shooting up??? That is a subset of gun crime (at historically low) and overall statistically negligible...as usual sensationalism at its best.


Real world call Natnasci....most recent homicide rates available at UNODC (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)

United States 3.9

Canada 1.4


In comparison Japanese, Austrians, Swiss, Nowegians, etc..should be as afraid to live in Canada (rates at 0.5 or less)


Brainwashing at its finest....
"There have been more total mass shooting incidents and deaths in the 11 years starting with 2005 than there were in the previous 23 years combined."

Mass Shootings Have Become More Common In The U.S. | FiveThirtyEight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,753 posts, read 8,844,573 times
Reputation: 7354
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
My God Nat...dense dense dense....getting a bloody CCP is nearly impossible in Canada not getting a gun...get it in your thick hardened skull....

A law abiding citizen can legally acquire a firearm in Canada capisci??? I'm out after this if you insist on this point...
You're doing it again. I NEVER said a law abiding citizen couldn't acquire a gun in Canada. What I have said is that a law abiding citizen could NOT carry a gun around with them LEGALLY. Even those with carry permits return them in at the end of their shifts and people that belong to shooting clubs can not have their ammo at home and the carry permit only allows them to transport the gun, in a case, to and from the club...no detours.

So YOUR scenario of being at work in Canada and having your gun with you or on you is not a realistic scenario?

I know you are trying your hardest to fit your square scenario into a round hole, but please, you are starting to embarrass yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,753 posts, read 8,844,573 times
Reputation: 7354
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Nat run run!!! Semi auto military style rifles in Canada...my God we will all die!!!




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOu5J-ArJfQ


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyf2hO4LyR0
"The guns are supposed to be used for gun ranges, and aren’t even legal for hunting. Their magazines are also capped at five rounds, unlike the 30 rounds Americans are able to fire without reloading.
And unlike Florida, those wishing to purchase an AR-15 legally must possess a specific licence for restricted firearms.
"

They fall under the same restricted firearms that handguns do in Canada.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/getting...-u-s-1.2945990
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 05:02 PM
 
3,164 posts, read 2,088,578 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
"The guns are supposed to be used for gun ranges, and aren’t even legal for hunting. Their magazines are also capped at five rounds, unlike the 30 rounds Americans are able to fire without reloading.
And unlike Florida, those wishing to purchase an AR-15 legally must possess a specific licence for restricted firearms.
"

They fall under the same restricted firearms that handguns do in Canada.

Getting an AR-15-style rifle is much harder in Canada than the U.S. | CTV News
............"are supposed"...the key word....do you know what a magazine cap is?? Something that can be removed very easily...

....count the rounds this guy is shooting after doing few magazine change drill with only 2 rounds in it....in Canada...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG6w9rsPLes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top