U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2016, 07:29 AM

2,567 posts, read 1,336,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Hartford you imply its all about how much taxes you pay,be aware Americans are paying some of the lowest taxes in the world and they derive many social benefits from their government because of those taxes. Sure you can live in a place that has no government and its people pay no taxes but what would such a society look like?Somalia perhaps.
Heres a list of your federal government programs,if you were in charge which ones would you eliminate?=https://www.usa.gov/federal-agencies/a
Be aware of the number of people who would lose their jobs or benefits by the terminating of the departments.
Nonsense. After Federal income taxes, federal and state payroll taxes, state income tax, sales tax, property tax, gas tax, tolls and an endless assortment of other government fees, the tax rate in the US approaches or exceeds 60% for many. The government (federal, state, local) ends up with 35 - 40% of the average American's earnings.

Most government agencies have to go bye-bye. It's not my job to ensure that government bureaucracy is perpetuated and grown generation after generation. If all of the money that the government is skimming were in the hands of the individual, there would be ample private sector work for government workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 07:49 AM

18,273 posts, read 10,374,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Nonsense. After Federal income taxes, federal and state payroll taxes, state income tax, sales tax, property tax, gas tax, tolls and an endless assortment of other government fees, the tax rate in the US approaches or exceeds 60% for many. The government (federal, state, local) ends up with 35 - 40% of the average American's earnings.

Most government agencies have to go bye-bye. It's not my job to ensure that government bureaucracy is perpetuated and grown generation after generation. If all of the money that the government is skimming were in the hands of the individual, there would be ample private sector work for government workers.
OR you could have a twelve hour commute over mud rutted roads while stopping frequently to deal with the intestinal parasites you've had since birth due to the daily consumption of tainted or contaminated food and water. Instead of just hopping onto the dayliner for the 45 min run.

Once there you could climb that tower without any safety oversight to once again light the oil lamp inside as you've been doing for 40 years or so after your grand-daddy did before ya because you know no development money was made available for a better system of warning the Ford Trimotors that a landing strip was somewhere in the area.

You're living a great life because all of that private investment that just magically appeared to improve your living conditions beyond the merely acceptable without taking any profits from doing so making it impossible for you to afford to even wipe your butt without scratching yourself to death with that Sear's Roebuck catalogue paper.

Yep the average American would be well capable to afford to finance pre-emptive healthcare, education, infrastructure improvements, quality oversight of food and water along with a veritable host of other stuff keeping you fat and happy as well as mitigate by simple charity the suffering of the less fortunate.

We all believe that ...........in a pig's eye!

Old 11-19-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yep the average American would be well capable to afford to finance pre-emptive healthcare, education, infrastructure improvements, quality oversight of food and water along with a veritable host of other stuff keeping you fat and happy as well as mitigate by simple charity the suffering of the less fortunate.

We all believe that ...........in a pig's eye!
We already spend more on healthcare and education per capita than any nation on earth. Our infrastructure ranks between the 'awful' nations of Canada and Denmark, and we spend more on it than Europe does. We do spend less than the nationalistic communist regime of China, but America should not be like China. Our food supply chain is quite safe.

How much more should we spend on the "less fortunate" in your opinion? What's a good amount of money for the government to take from the evil fortunate people in order make things fair?

Old 11-19-2016, 09:15 AM

1,147 posts, read 471,184 times
It's very interesting that America's food issue wasn't discussed in the debates, unless I missed something? Are there any mainstream American politicians advocating for tougher food regulations?

Old 11-19-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
It's very interesting that America's food issue wasn't discussed in the debates, unless I missed something? Are there any mainstream American politicians advocating for tougher food regulations?
I missed it too. BruSan was probably alluding to Flint, MI which was another failure of a liberal government, yet people want more of it.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:45 AM

19,839 posts, read 18,861,423 times
Quote:
We already spend more on healthcare and education per capita than any nation on earth. Our infrastructure ranks between the 'awful' nations of Canada and Denmark, and we spend more on it than Europe does. We do spend less than the nationalistic communist regime of China, but America should not be like China. Our food supply chain is quite safe.

How much more should we spend on the "less fortunate" in your opinion? What's a good amount of money for the government to take from the evil fortunate people in order make things fair?
Of course we spend too much on health care but that's because of the BIG insurance and BIG pharm businesses that need to make huge profits. If we had single payer health care it wouldn't be that way.

Our food supply is safe?? Not as safe as it should be--and to compare it to that of China is a joke. Compare it to some place like Europe where they don't allow hormones to be fed to the cows and they won't import our beef because of what's been fed. They don't allow pesticides like RoundUp to be used on food crops--the list goes on and on.

Asking questions like, "how much should we take from the evil government..." is silly because other civilized countries do help the poor and disabled. No one is saying we should help anyone who CHOOSES to be on disability or welfare--probably everyone agrees that freeloaders need to be weeded out.

You are making too many blanket statements that only look at the surface and do not go deeper to see the CAUSE.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:51 AM

1,147 posts, read 471,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Our food supply is safe?? Not as safe as it should be--and to compare it to that of China is a joke. Compare it to some place like Europe where they don't allow hormones to be fed to the cows and they won't import our beef because of what's been fed. They don't allow pesticides like RoundUp to be used on food crops--the list goes on and on.
This is what I was asking.

Do Americans want to do something about this? Is there a politician out there that can represent them?

If I was American, I would be concerned and hope that politicians were more vocal about the issue.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:10 AM

19,839 posts, read 18,861,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
This is what I was asking.

Do Americans want to do something about this? Is there a politician out there that can represent them?

If I was American, I would be concerned and hope that politicians were more vocal about the issue.
Some of us are concerned but our national government doesn't care. To them it's all about money and profits. This new government will care even less than the current one. About all we can do is grow our own food organically or try to afford to buy organic food. Buying meat from animals that have been properly raised is extremely expensive. One thing that's becoming popular, thank goodness, is raising free range chickens for the eggs.

In the US, the states make many of their own laws so at least there's some hope on the more local level. My state of Mass just voted in a law regarding humane treatment of animals raised for food--I think it was about filthy, cramped cages for chickens and so on and so forth. But most other states don't even seem to care. You can only hope that your city or town and your state care.

On the national level, the people who care about things are cancelled out by the people who do not care.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:19 AM

18,273 posts, read 10,374,392 times
Quote:

I'm not the one complaining. Whether you realize it or not' you just made my rebuttal point abundantly relevant to all.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:47 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,575,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Hartford you imply its all about how much taxes you pay,be aware Americans are paying some of the lowest taxes in the world and they derive many social benefits from their government because of those taxes. Sure you can live in a place that has no government and its people pay no taxes but what would such a society look like?Somalia perhaps.
Heres a list of your federal government programs,if you were in charge which ones would you eliminate?=https://www.usa.gov/federal-agencies/a
Be aware of the number of people who would lose their jobs or benefits by the terminating of the departments.
American's have a very progressive tax system, meaning the rates are high for people in the top 25% and low everywhere else. The benefits are essentially taken from the rich and given to the poor.

I would eliminate all the programs Republicans have been saying they want to eliminate. But by eliminate I mean really give people the option to keep their own money and opt out of these programs.

For some reason people in the US think it is their right to take other people's money but it isn't.

Here is a list of programs people should be able to opt out of

Social Security
Medicare
Medicaid
Welfare & Food stamps

Cut all the environmental rules and get rid of all the federal departments.

We could theoretically cut government spending by 70%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or