Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 09:31 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,433,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Canada’s immigration website has crashed multiple times, according to news reports (it was very slow for this reporter).

Officials do not appear to have addressed why the website is crashing – no updates appeared on Canadian immigration officials’ social media – but many election watchers presumed traffic is slowing the site down following Trump’s lead in electoral votes.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...p-clinton-live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 09:34 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,433,614 times
Citizenship and Immigration Canada | Citoyenneté et Immigration Canada

Gives me "an internal service error".

The voting is not over yet....

Old 11-08-2016, 09:37 PM

20,255 posts, read 19,835,731 times
How easy is it for disappointed Americans to simply cross the border and set up shop in Canada and take advantage of the social benefits?

For the record, no matter who gets elected President, Ill stay here and continue to prosper.

I'm just curious about how lax your cross border policies are with regards to immigration.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:16 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,624,912 times
Us Americans act like it's going to be so much better in Canada. Idiots.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:51 PM

7,667 posts, read 5,468,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
How easy is it for disappointed Americans to simply cross the border and set up shop in Canada and take advantage of the social benefits?

For the record, no matter who gets elected President, Ill stay here and continue to prosper.

I'm just curious about how lax your cross border policies are with regards to immigration.
It's not that easy, as explained in this article: Americans: It's not as easy as just 'moving to Canada' | CTV News

Old 11-08-2016, 11:19 PM

3,608 posts, read 3,366,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post

Immigrating to Canada is actually quite difficult for any foreigner, including Americans. Americans don't get any special privileges. They certainly don't qualify as refugees; they have to go through the hoops, same as anybody else who wants to live and work here. It's a long process; and once legally landed, they don't get social benefits (e.g. healthcare) for a certain period of time.

Our cross-border policies are not lax. They are strictly enforced.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:21 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,781,218 times
I have absolutely never been happier to be a Canadian.. I'll make no damned apologies for it and I don't care what anyone says. For what was supposed to be the greatest democracy in the world - this election just shattered that myth into a million pieces as far as i'm concerned.. For a people to vote the biggest absolute idiot ever as their President all I can say is go for it. Vote a big idiot in as your President while the rest of the world realigns itself away from your total and absolute lunacy.

I think this will be a turning point for our great nation that is Canada and the world at large. More people will value what we the Canadian people represent to the world which is a a sane, stable and reasonable democracy and they will be attracted to it and rightfully so.

Thanks America, if anything the accusation is that we as a country that is Canada don't have an identity I think that will completely be shattered moving forward. We don't as far as i'm concerned need to ride on your coattails because quite frankly we don't really get more than half of you anymore and that is ok because we do have an identity, we do have our own values because I know it would never ever have been possible for a Donald Trump to be our leader in Canada.

Laurier once said the 20th century belongs to Canada - well he was off a century or two but he got it right in the end even if he was off a bit. The world needs more of us!

Welcome to the new Canada and to all our friends in the U.S who share our values, true and progressive and fair values for all, please join our country in our next chapter to create the worlds best new democracy. The only negative - its a bit cold up here but you'll deal and once you get over that you'll see what truly is the best representation of a nation that does and will exist in the world.

I am Canadian and make no apologies for it. If you don't like it look at what is the alternative and then look really deep inside yourself.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:40 PM

3,928 posts, read 3,262,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I have absolutely never been happier to be a Canadian.. I'll make no damned apologies for it and I don't care what anyone says. For what was supposed to be the greatest democracy in the world - this election just shattered that myth into a million pieces as far as i'm concerned.. For a people to vote the biggest absolute idiot ever as their President all I can say is go for it. Vote a big idiot in as your President while the rest of the world realigns itself away from your total and absolute lunacy.

I think this will be a turning point for our great nation that is Canada and the world at large. More people will value what we the Canadian people represent to the world which is a a sane, stable and reasonable democracy and they will be attracted to it and rightfully so.

Thanks America, if anything the accusation is that we as a country that is Canada don't have an identity I think that will completely be shattered moving forward. We don't as far as i'm concerned need to ride on your coattails because quite frankly we don't really get more than half of you anymore and that is ok because we do have an identity, we do have our own values because I know it would never ever have been possible for a Donald Trump to be our leader in Canada.

Laurier once said the 20th century belongs to Canada - well he was off a century or two but he got it right in the end even if he was off a bit. The world needs more of us!

Welcome to the new Canada and to all our friends in the U.S who share our values, true and progressive and fair values for all, please join our country in our next chapter to create the worlds best new democracy. The only negative - its a bit cold up here but you'll deal and once you get over that you'll see what truly is the best representation of a nation that does and will exist in the world.

I am Canadian and make no apologies for it. If you don't like it look at what is the alternative and then look really deep inside yourself.

...talking about idiots....you got Trudeau, we get Trump..we are even...

Old 11-08-2016, 11:44 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,083,158 times
Fusion2,
I don't believe anyone is asking you to apologize for being Canadian and honestly who cares.
Every country has issues as it has always been and I would no more look to immigrate to Canada than I would look to immigrate anywhere else.

I am a natural born citizen of the United States of America and I will be staying home no matter who wins.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:58 PM

3,850 posts, read 5,261,803 times
Wow, what did I wake up to?! Now I understand what my UK friends felt when they woke up to Brexit, even though I am no longer there to share in the pain with my American friends.

This I hope will all blow over and everyone finds a way to work together, as impossible as that sounds at this moment.

I suppose I could be some smug as*hole and point my finger at Americans since I am now "safely" on the other side of the pond. But then I could easily take a look in the mirror and realize that I am now living in a country that was a part of this same bigoted wave and voted similarly just a few months ago. In addition I am originally from a country that has turned political corruption and violence into a national sport. So seriously who are any of us to feel superior because of this development?

Plus Canadians should not feel so proud of Americans saying they are fleeing the country to
Canada. Honestly anyone who thinks it's just that easy to hop across that "imaginary" line is not exactly all that intelligent and isn't the type of human Capital you want to be attracting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada