Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 11:03 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiebutter View Post
The United States was always a heavily conservative country. This does not surprise me that much in the least. What, did you think they were getting more "progressive"? Nope.

I am sorry but they are simply not as much like Canada as a lot of Canadians previously believed. They are actually very different. I don't blame or shame them for it, it is what it is.
It is kind of crazy ... now I really really really I am reminded of these differences. I think my impressions of America ( at least the positive ones) were based on the places/ cities I like that see to be progressive and modern... but this is a reminder that those places and value don't represent that bulk of America. The bulk of the country that is not really that great... does not really have any global awareness and it just does not seem to have anything really attractive about it ( ex lots of uneducated and ignorant people).

Maybe America has just taken off it's mask? Maybe it really was never at core a modern and progressive place? The face of America for the last 8 years was modern, progressive and educated. This new face really paints a ugly picture about America and Americans. What a shame. Hopefully this mistake will be America's problem... and not impact Canadians and Mexicans as much. Maybe Mexico and Canada should brick up our boarders so this ignorance does not spread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 11:30 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
It is kind of crazy ... now I really really really I am reminded of these differences. I think my impressions of America ( at least the positive ones) were based on the places/ cities I like that see to be progressive and modern... but this is a reminder that those places and value don't represent that bulk of America. The bulk of the country that is not really that great... does not really have any global awareness and it just does not seem to have anything really attractive about it ( ex lots of uneducated and ignorant people).

Maybe America has just taken off it's mask? Maybe it really was never at core a modern and progressive place? The face of America for the last 8 years was modern, progressive and educated. This new face really paints a ugly picture about America and Americans. What a shame. Hopefully this mistake will be America's problem... and not impact Canadians and Mexicans as much. Maybe Mexico and Canada should brick up our boarders so this ignorance does not spread.
It would be way more accurate to say that there are two visions of the United States that are at odds with each other, duking it out: the one that you like and the one that you dislike.

Sometimes one carries the day, sometimes it's the other.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:47 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I have absolutely never been happier to be a Canadian.. I'll make no damned apologies for it and I don't care what anyone says. For what was supposed to be the greatest democracy in the world - this election just shattered that myth into a million pieces as far as i'm concerned.. For a people to vote the biggest absolute idiot ever as their President all I can say is go for it. Vote a big idiot in as your President while the rest of the world realigns itself away from your total and absolute lunacy.

I think this will be a turning point for our great nation that is Canada and the world at large. More people will value what we the Canadian people represent to the world which is a a sane, stable and reasonable democracy and they will be attracted to it and rightfully so.

Thanks America, if anything the accusation is that we as a country that is Canada don't have an identity I think that will completely be shattered moving forward. We don't as far as i'm concerned need to ride on your coattails because quite frankly we don't really get more than half of you anymore and that is ok because we do have an identity, we do have our own values because I know it would never ever have been possible for a Donald Trump to be our leader in Canada.

Laurier once said the 20th century belongs to Canada - well he was off a century or two but he got it right in the end even if he was off a bit. The world needs more of us!

Welcome to the new Canada and to all our friends in the U.S who share our values, true and progressive and fair values for all, please join our country in our next chapter to create the worlds best new democracy. The only negative - its a bit cold up here but you'll deal and once you get over that you'll see what truly is the best representation of a nation that does and will exist in the world.

I am Canadian and make no apologies for it. If you don't like it look at what is the alternative and then look really deep inside yourself.
Good for you i'm glad you love your country even more and i wish the best for the Great White North.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:

People will vote how they like, your vote doesn't make you more or less educated or ignorant.. everyone has their own reasons for why they vote and yes im sure many ignorant and non educated people voted but this is just democracy at work and this is what the people want guys, sorry not everything goes our way sometimes.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:05 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
People will vote how they like, your vote doesn't make you more or less educated or ignorant.. everyone has their own reasons for why they vote and yes im sure many ignorant and non educated people voted but this is just democracy at work and this is what the people want guys, sorry not everything goes our way sometimes.
Well; unusual for me, but have to lend support to your premise and suggest an apology is not appropriate for Americans having exercised their right.

I count many Americans as close friends and can attest this was not an easy choice for the majority of them.

In the end you have to consider more than simply watching from afar.

How many Americans voted from having seen many disabled vets from recent military incursions over nothing more than economic gain for the top tiers.

How many Americans voted as a result of watching the further erosion of racial harmony as indicated by the Trayvon Martin Case forward... A black president, it could have been expected, would have taken great steps to enhance that instead of making moves that were perceived to further divide.

There have been any number of reasons why corruption in Washington has been causing a gradual simmering of resentment that picked this election cycle to explode into a Trump vote. The 2008 financial collapse and it's resultant damage to so many people is still in the front sights of many down there and they perhaps thought a returning Clinton would simply rubber stamp more of the same.

The ACA enacted through a bully tactic without citizen consultation, whether good or bad, was the wrong way to go about changing the very long held core beliefs of many Americans as it regards their healthcare. You do not engage people by telling them "it's for their own good".

When talking to my friends, I'm always struck by their frustration with the whole Washington scene and it's seeming complete disconnect with citizen welfare as a whole.

I can only opine they decided to throw a hand grenade into the outhouse regardless of the resultant mess, in the hopes the new one will maintain it's fresh paint smell longer.

Any way you look at it; for a reasonably intelligent electorate to have voted as they did, there must have been some very tangible pent-up frustration with the entire system.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:16 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I liked all the rest of your post but want to comment on the above, specifically the first sentence because I think it's a very wrong assumption for you to make about Canadians and a reprimand to them that is uncalled for.

Except for occasional trolls mouthing off, nowhere here on this forum or anywhere online or in the media will you find sincere Canadians saying they're proud of Americans saying they are fleeing the USA to come to Canada. Canada doesn't want to be considered just any old convenient port in a storm to American runaways and you won't find any Canadians on this forum to have been encouraging Americans to come to Canada. Some Americans have asked how easy it would be to come to Canada and Canadians have been honest in informing them how difficult it really is and in directing them to proper resources to determine their qualifications and eligibility. That is all. Nobody here has said "Come to Canada" and nobody wants some other country's resentful runaways.

I totally agree with you that anyone who thinks it's easy to just hop across the border and take advantage of Canada as an easy port in the storm is not intelligent and not the type of immigrant that Canada wants. That's part of the reason why Canadians have been discouraging Americans in a pique like that who have been thinking about it and threatening to run away from their home.

I agree with you. In fact I think Americans who are thinking of leaving due to Donald Trump should stay for the sake of their country and work to keep the barbarians from the gates.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:22 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Maybe Mexico and Canada should brick up our boarders so this ignorance does not spread.
Okay, but President-elect Trump says you gotta pay for it!

KIDDING

(But speaking of educated, learn to spell "borders". Unless you intend to brick up some poor renter in your basement.)

Old 11-09-2016, 12:24 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,625 times
Quote:

Hopefully you don't come back with an attitude like that. Sheesh, what hand wringing.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:31 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
News Flash

Canada Immigration just announced it will create a special visa category "Celebrities and limousine liberals" for qualifying US nationals that announced their intention to move to Canada.
A special feature of this category is that with a minimum investment of at least $3 million CAD, Canadian citizenship can be bought immediately waiving the usual physical residency requirements for regular investors. To facilitate the processing, Canada Immigration will implement a "Buy Now" button on its website and a "Canadian citizenship purchase" dedicated fast lane at major ports of entry. As usual with the investor visa category, all form of payment are accepted no question to ask about the origin of the funds.
However some experts doubt that many individuals that qualify under this scheme will actually apply.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well; unusual for me, but have to lend support to your premise and suggest an apology is not appropriate for Americans having exercised their right.

I count many Americans as close friends and can attest this was not an easy choice for the majority of them.

In the end you have to consider more than simply watching from afar.

How many Americans voted from having seen many disabled vets from recent military incursions over nothing more than economic gain for the top tiers.

How many Americans voted as a result of watching the further erosion of racial harmony as indicated by the Trayvon Martin Case forward... A black president, it could have been expected, would have taken great steps to enhance that instead of making moves that were perceived to further divide.

There have been any number of reasons why corruption in Washington has been causing a gradual simmering of resentment that picked this election cycle to explode into a Trump vote. The 2008 financial collapse and it's resultant damage to so many people is still in the front sights of many down there and they perhaps thought a returning Clinton would simply rubber stamp more of the same.

The ACA enacted through a bully tactic without citizen consultation, whether good or bad, was the wrong way to go about changing the very long held core beliefs of many Americans as it regards their healthcare. You do not engage people by telling them "it's for their own good".

When talking to my friends, I'm always struck by their frustration with the whole Washington scene and it's seeming complete disconnect with citizen welfare as a whole.

I can only opine they decided to throw a hand grenade into the outhouse regardless of the resultant mess, in the hopes the new one will maintain it's fresh paint smell longer.

Any way you look at it; for a reasonably intelligent electorate to have voted as they did, there must have been some very tangible pent-up frustration with the entire system.
Yes debates / elections can easily get ugly at times and this was one of them, doesn't help this happened during a great era of technology where the whole world is connected and the media is playing a huge role in this .... of course there is hate but we can't forget these loud voices are not just from hate but they could also be very passionate about what the believe in...

Bernie got me pumped up for this election, he got my vote in the primaries and i was heartbroken when he lost, i didn't agree with everything he said but he for sure had the swagger of the people's president.. so last night was not as shocking to me, the democrats had their ace but they didn't play him and this is what happens.

Trump won with a lot of last second support, i myself am starting to see his message more and more clear and he is starting to make some sense now, his outspoken mouth will make it tough to get the rest of America to be on his side but i'm just gonna go with the flow and hope for the best, lets see if he'll build Chinese style airports, factories all around over the heartland and jobs for all of us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada