Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 12:56 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,770,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
You guys are welcome to take all of our collectivists. Depending on their level of deplorability, I might even spring for an airfare or two to get them out of here.

Pertaining to NAFTA: Considering our $15 billion trade deficit with Canada and $58 billion deficit with Mexico, why are you surprised that Americans don't like the deal? Canadians and Mexicans need to hold up their end of the deal by buying American goods at the same rate that Americans buy their goods. It's only a good deal if it works both ways.
The Mexican market is FLOODED with US products. Its actually harder and harder to find Mexican made anything in the Mexican market. Probably the only item that stands out is agriculture.

I've heard some reviews from economic analysts who say that there have actually been more postives than negatives for the US from NAFTA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 01:11 PM

295 posts, read 261,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
The Mexican market is FLOODED with US products. Its actually harder and harder to find Mexican made anything in the Mexican market. Probably the only item that stands out is agriculture.

I've heard some reviews from economic analysts who say that there have actually been more postives than negatives for the US from NAFTA.

Curious to know what are these products (except for software) ?

Old 11-09-2016, 01:24 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,682,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
People will vote how they like, your vote doesn't make you more or less educated or ignorant.. everyone has their own reasons for why they vote and yes im sure many ignorant and non educated people voted but this is just democracy at work and this is what the people want guys, sorry not everything goes our way sometimes.

Re-voting how a person likes. I agree. People have the right to vote how they like... but wow this is just a reminder that people have very different and concerning views on topics that will directly impact the rights of others. Ex Ethnic and religious minorities, women and the LGBT community. It also reminds me personally about how much harder as a person I should be working to make sure the views and values I believe in be heard before this tragic situation happens in my own country.

As a woman and a minority I find it 100% offensive that someone like that got selected to be a president. The fact that he was selected by the majority of Americans to represent them should tell the rest of the world what American are really like. Totally concerning.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:28 PM

26,777 posts, read 37,747,245 times
He was not selected by a "majority" of Americans. Clinton won the popular vote. More Americans wanted her as president.

The results from last night are not an accurate barometer to pass judgement on all 300 million Americans.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:35 PM

Exclamation ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Hopefully you don't come back with an attitude like that. Sheesh, what hand wringing.
The world is a big place. There are many different places to travel. I don't get a vote in your election.... but I can choose which countries I invest my time and money in. I am one person... but there are other's all over the world that see the shame and disgust in the fact that the majority of Americans choose to elect Trump to lead their country. There are many great countries that fell in to despair due to choosing the wrong leader. When this insanity comes so close to home... other countries need to worry ... everyone needs to worry.

The vote is over. Good luck America ... the majority of the world thinks you will need it.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:37 PM

295 posts, read 261,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
The world is a big place. There are many different places to travel. I don't get a vote in your election.... but I can choose which countries I invest my time and money in. I am one person... but there are other's all over the world that see the shame and disgust in the fact that the majority of Americans choose to elect Trump to lead their country. There are many great countries that fell in to despair due to choosing the wrong leader. When this insanity comes so close to home... other countries need to worry ... everyone needs to worry.

The vote is over. Good luck America ... the majority of the world thinks you will need it.
Please don't talk for others - talk for yourself...

Old 11-09-2016, 01:38 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,035,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Re-voting how a person likes. I agree. People have the right to vote how they like... but wow this is just a reminder that people have very different and concerning views on topics that will directly impact the rights of others. Ex Ethnic and religious minorities, women and the LGBT community. It also reminds me personally about how much harder as a person I should be working to make sure the views and values I believe in be heard before this tragic situation happens in my own country.

As a woman and a minority I find it 100% offensive that someone like that got selected to be a president. The fact that he was selected by the majority of Americans to represent them should tell the rest of the world what American are really like. Totally concerning.
No, he was not. Hillary won the popular vote or at least it appears that way now. We are a representative republic in which our ingenious forefathers realized the importance of making sure that everybody is properly represented through the electoral college. Were we a mere democracy, the federal elections would focus on New York, LA, Chicago, etc and those in rural areas would be ignored. Crazy big city liberals would be able implement their hair brain policies on people whom they do not understand or even care about. Instead our elected officials have to answer to everybody come election time. Hillary forgot that and ignored those people. She paid dearly.

I'll finish by saying that I did not vote for Trump. I don't think he was a good choice and I am disappointed with the two candidates who were foisted upon us. That said, the sentiment felt in the heartland is very understandable and you might do good to listen to their story rather than call them ignorant.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:38 PM

3,884 posts, read 3,247,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
He was not selected by a "majority" of Americans. Clinton won the popular vote. More Americans wanted her as president.

The results from last night are not an accurate barometer to pass judgement on all 300 million Americans.
According to CNN, she "won" the popular vote by 219.000 votes (and still counting, it may flip again)....a rounding error...both of them significantly below the 50% mark....let's not forget it was a 4 way race.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:39 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,155,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yes debates / elections can easily get ugly at times and this was one of them, doesn't help this happened during a great era of technology where the whole world is connected and the media is playing a huge role in this .... of course there is hate but we can't forget these loud voices are not just from hate but they could also be very passionate about what the believe in...

Bernie got me pumped up for this election, he got my vote in the primaries and i was heartbroken when he lost, i didn't agree with everything he said but he for sure had the swagger of the people's president.. so last night was not as shocking to me, the democrats had their ace but they didn't play him and this is what happens.

Trump won with a lot of last second support, i myself am starting to see his message more and more clear and he is starting to make some sense now, his outspoken mouth will make it tough to get the rest of America to be on his side but i'm just gonna go with the flow and hope for the best, lets see if he'll build Chinese style airports, factories all around over the heartland and jobs for all of us

I find his message of the grand projects and visions alluring as well, but untenable the moment you start to think about the finer details. Take Asian-style airports: an average international airport takes about 7-10 years to propose, to plan and design, to build, and to test. That timeline alone is already beyond the short 4-year presidency, assuming he starts to construction on day 1 of his presidency. Beijing's famous Capital International Airport Terminal 3 took more than 3 years of planning and another 4 years of construction with a lavish budget of $3.5 billion - and with zero political or social opposition, abundance of cheap labor, and a seemingly unlimited budget afforded by an authoritarian Chinese state before the 2008 Olympics. I have high reservations a Trump presidency would approach anywhere near that kind of efficiency in America. And I assume President Trump will raise the billions of infrastructure budget via... lower taxes for the ultra-wealthy? Trickle down economics?

Everything is rosy until one starts to think about the fine print.

Beijing Capital International Airport opened in February 2008, built with a budget of $3.5 billion USD, employing over 48,000 full-time construction workers over a 4-year construction period:

Old 11-09-2016, 01:39 PM

Default : )!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
News Flash

Canada Immigration just announced it will create a special visa category "Celebrities and limousine liberals" for qualifying US nationals that announced their intention to move to Canada.
A special feature of this category is that with a minimum investment of at least $3 million CAD, Canadian citizenship can be bought immediately waiving the usual physical residency requirements for regular investors. To facilitate the processing, Canada Immigration will implement a "Buy Now" button on its website and a "Canadian citizenship purchase" dedicated fast lane at major ports of entry. As usual with the investor visa category, all form of payment are accepted no question to ask about the origin of the funds.
However some experts doubt that many individuals that qualify under this scheme will actually apply.

I wish!!! Every concert I went to this year done by an American artist had a moment where they expressed fear and embarrassment over the idea that Trump was running for present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada