Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 01:40 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yes debates / elections can easily get ugly at times and this was one of them, doesn't help this happened during a great era of technology where the whole world is connected and the media is playing a huge role in this .... of course there is hate but we can't forget these loud voices are not just from hate but they could also be very passionate about what the believe in...

Bernie got me pumped up for this election, he got my vote in the primaries and i was heartbroken when he lost, i didn't agree with everything he said but he for sure had the swagger of the people's president.. so last night was not as shocking to me, the democrats had their ace but they didn't play him and this is what happens.

Trump won with a lot of last second support, i myself am starting to see his message more and more clear and he is starting to make some sense now, his outspoken mouth will make it tough to get the rest of America to be on his side but i'm just gonna go with the flow and hope for the best, lets see if he'll build Chinese style airports, factories all around over the heartland and jobs for all of us

I find his message of the grand projects and visions alluring as well, but untenable the moment you start to think about the finer details. Take Asian-style airports: an average international airport takes about 7-10 years to propose, to plan and design, to build, and to test. That timeline alone is already beyond the short 4-year presidency, assuming he starts construction on day 1 of his presidency. Beijing's famous Capital International Airport Terminal 3 took more than 3 years of planning and another 4 years of construction with a lavish budget of $3.5 billion - and with zero political or social opposition, abundance of cheap labor, and a seemingly unlimited budget afforded by an authoritarian Chinese state before the 2008 Olympics. I have high reservations a Trump presidency would approach anywhere near that kind of efficiency in America. And I assume President Trump will raise a trillion dollars of infrastructure budget via... lower taxes for the ultra-wealthy? Trickle down economics?

Everything is rosy until one starts to think about the fine print. I want luxurious Asian-style airports as well to replace Boston Logan, LaGuradia, and Newark. All at a discount. Ideally free.

Beijing Capital International Airport opened in February 2008, built with a budget of $3.5 billion USD, employing over 48,000 full-time construction workers over a 4-year construction period:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 01:40 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I agree with you. In fact I think Americans who are thinking of leaving due to Donald Trump should stay for the sake of their country and work to keep the barbarians from the gates.
I agree. They better stay and help keep him in line.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:41 PM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
He was not selected by a "majority" of Americans. Clinton won the popular vote. More Americans wanted her as president.

The results from last night are not an accurate barometer to pass judgement on all 300 million Americans.
Good point. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:43 PM

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
Please don't talk for others - talk for yourself...

Have you read the headlines and feedback being sent from around the world?

Old 11-09-2016, 01:49 PM

295 posts, read 263,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Headlines from your leftist media that predicted the victory of Hillary ??? hahaha. I suggest you should learn some principles of democracy.... Instead of gender and social justice studies...

Old 11-09-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
Headlines from your leftist media that predicted the victory of Hillary ??? hahaha. I suggest you should learn some principles of democracy.... Instead of gender and social justice studies...
Oh my dear fellow, do enligthen us on those principles of democracy and good governance?

Old 11-09-2016, 01:59 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
Quote:
I wish!!! Every concert I went to this year done by an American artist had a moment where they expressed fear and embarrassment over the idea that Trump was running for present.
We will gladly send this "human capital" your way...enjoy!!

Old 11-09-2016, 02:09 PM

1,110 posts, read 896,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Exit polls seem to suggest that people that disliked both candidates (and possibly even disliked Trump more but strongly disliked both) voted for Trump as a **** you to the political system.

Also Trump did win other demographics than just uneducated white men, he won among several female demographics, like married women and white women, even though he did win among women as a whole. And he still got about a quarter of Latinos' votes which is more than I expected (a lot more than the <10% from blacks).
What Trump struck a chord with was the disaffected. Those who were marginalized, downsized, replaced by a machine, or whose jobs went offshore were big supporters. Also, those people who were tired of the status quo, wall street loving brand of Republicans. Had Bernie Sanders won the nomination for the Democrats, he may have given Trump some competition, since there are Democrats that are tired of the Wall Street loving brand of Democrats. Plus, Bernie's constituents were very enthusiastic about him, and about his agenda (like me).

Old 11-09-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
We will gladly send this "human capital" your way...enjoy!!
PM Trudeau is expected to announce an official invitation to President-elect Trump to embark on his first state visit abroad after inauguration in January. Trump should bring extra body guards and extra secret service contingent.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Re-voting how a person likes. I agree. People have the right to vote how they like... but wow this is just a reminder that people have very different and concerning views on topics that will directly impact the rights of others. Ex Ethnic and religious minorities, women and the LGBT community. It also reminds me personally about how much harder as a person I should be working to make sure the views and values I believe in be heard before this tragic situation happens in my own country.

As a woman and a minority I find it 100% offensive that someone like that got selected to be a president. The fact that he was selected by the majority of Americans to represent them should tell the rest of the world what American are really like. Totally concerning.
So based on someone who votes on Donald Trump what are they like as a person?

Quote:
The same headlines that said he had no chance in winning? the media has been a joke and is continued to be proven to be a huge joke.

Most people don't judge others they don't know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada