U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2016, 07:07 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,171,341 times

Advertisements

These stories are all too common and sickening:
Isolation a barrier to exposing sexual abuse, incest on reserve: Bellegarde - Winnipeg Free Press

Quote:
Sexual abuse is very much "learned behaviour" passed down from residential schools that has contributed to much of the dysfunction in First Nations communities, Bellegarde said a truth reflected in the 40,000 First Nations children in foster care and sky-high rates of incarceration among indigenous youth.
I'm sick of the blaming. Perhaps if the kids on these reserves are taken away again and educated in a properly run system, they could turn their lives around, get jobs, and be proud instead of committing suicide in these isolated reserves that offer NOTHING except being incarcerated or sexually molested by family members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 12:13 PM

5,691 posts, read 6,537,402 times

Old 11-14-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
?? Not much of a contribution to the discussion...

Old 11-15-2016, 11:41 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,780,600 times
I am not saying I have an answer to improving this situation ... but the residental schools and the impact is nothing to brush under the rug. I think while our eyes are turned towards bad things happening in other countries... REALLY bad things continue to happen in our own country.

It is quite common to find sex offenders often have been abused themselves. This does not justify the behaviour, but we should acknowledge the relationship.

I aslo do wonder if removing some of these teens from this situation ex exchange programs would help them see what huge options the world has and they could bring some back some of this hope to their communities.

I don't live in a small town or community and could not imagine how isolating that could be.

I also have never been sexually abused as a child... and can't even imagine how much damage that could cause. What is going on in our a lot of our aborignal communities in Canada should be concerning to all Canadians (even ones like me that are not really exposed to these communties that often).

I agree there is not much point in blaming any more. It happend. It was wrong. This needs to be accounted for in our history and we need to learn from these mistakes to protect volunterable people in the future. It needs to be about healing, breaking the bad cycles and moving forward now.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:23 AM

I wish there was an easier way, but it seems to me that the only way to avoid these problems is to relocate as many isolated reservations/native communities as possible closer to larger centers. They need better housing, better schools, health care, rehabilitation centers, child care, access to jobs, etc and they will never get that living up in their no-where lands.

Maybe years ago these communities used to flourish with the natural resources of clean water, fishing/hunting/gathering, and living a nomad's simple way of life, but not this day and age.

For years now, these small isolated communities have provided NOTHING for these people but an unbreakable circle of despair, joblessness, alcoholism, drugs and sexual abuse. Too many young people are committing suicide to escape the despair. Giving them money is obviously NOT working to help in improving their lives, except for the crooked chiefs and their cronies who refuse to give any transparency of the funds being spent.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:48 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,437,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post

I don't live in a small town or community and could not imagine how isolating that could be.

A few weeks ago, I drove up to a very very isolated community in Northern Manitoba. I drove up there with some one that had been working on a Native community and was going back to retrieve their belongings. It was like a 13 hour drive north and Let me just say it was the scariest most isolated place I have ever been to. The place felt like I was on another planet. It was just really really weird. I was really looking forward to my drive through the country side but this was just weird. Once you pass a certain point North it just gets extremely isolated, the isolation felt a little over whelming and the coniferous trees look weird and sick . When we reach our destination, there was a really negative vibe to the whole place, I can't put my finger on exactly what it was. I have driven across the country and there are always isolated patches that you drive through, but this was something else. I would never ever in my life again go that far North again. I was depressed for the entire week after.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:14 PM

Default See......

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
A few weeks ago, I drove up to a very very isolated community in Northern Manitoba. I drove up there with some one that had been working on a Native community and was going back to retrieve their belongings. It was like a 13 hour drive north and Let me just say it was the scariest most isolated place I have ever been to. The place felt like I was on another planet. It was just really really weird. I was really looking forward to my drive through the country side but this was just weird. Once you pass a certain point North it just gets extremely isolated, the isolation felt a little over whelming and the coniferous trees look weird and sick . When we reach our destination, there was a really negative vibe to the whole place, I can't put my finger on exactly what it was. I have driven across the country and there are always isolated patches that you drive through, but this was something else. I would never ever in my life again go that far North again. I was depressed for the entire week after.
Wow. Thanks for sharing. I personally have extreme fear of isolated places and really like cities and noise. I could not handle it and honestly could see myself getting dangerously depressed. So I always wonder how people living like this could cope. I just don't get why anyone would want to living in the middle of nowhere where... but they do. I was depressed and bored to death in Moncton NB .... so I would be scared to death for my sanity dealing with that situation. I get the suicide rate issue.... but they need to get some action going on there because it seems messed up.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:04 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,485,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
These stories are all too common and sickening:
Isolation a barrier to exposing sexual abuse, incest on reserve: Bellegarde - Winnipeg Free Press

I'm sick of the blaming. Perhaps if the kids on these reserves are taken away again and educated in a properly run system, they could turn their lives around, get jobs, and be proud instead of committing suicide in these isolated reserves that offer NOTHING except being incarcerated or sexually molested by family members.
My grandmother's home was taken from her. My uncle was tortured to death in a Japanese prisoner of war camp. The Japanese did not report the death because the care packages from the family were so good. His wife was kept alive in another camp for women and Japanese soldiers on leave. Another uncle was taken away by the Germans because of the religion of one of his parents.

Bad things happened to many of our ancestors. That is actually very common. Today, in places like Syria, sometimes only one person is left of an entire family generation, sometimes none. Who has the right to say today that someone's ancestors "injured" their ancestors, and therefore the children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and so on, are in debt.

We should all understand that what was done is done, and it is the responsibility of the next generation to do better, not the same. To suggest that there is sexual abuse because sexual abuse occurred several generations earlier is completely logical in terms of explaining why some sexual predators do what they do (e.g.: sexual abuse victims perpetrating a cycle), but there is the flip side of that coin where many sexual assault victims do not become sexual predators.

To imply that someone is owed something because, for example, a great ancestor was harmed as a child in a Catholic school, would result in complete, ridiculous chaos if every descendant of a victimized person deserved compensation.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:39 PM

Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
My grandmother's home was taken from her. My uncle was tortured to death in a Japanese prisoner of war camp. The Japanese did not report the death because the care packages from the family were so good. His wife was kept alive in another camp for women and Japanese soldiers on leave. Another uncle was taken away by the Germans because of the religion of one of his parents.

Bad things happened to many of our ancestors. That is actually very common. Today, in places like Syria, sometimes only one person is left of an entire family generation, sometimes none. Who has the right to say today that someone's ancestors "injured" their ancestors, and therefore the children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and so on, are in debt.

We should all understand that what was done is done, and it is the responsibility of the next generation to do better, not the same. To suggest that there is sexual abuse because sexual abuse occurred several generations earlier is completely logical in terms of explaining why some sexual predators do what they do (e.g.: sexual abuse victims perpetrating a cycle), but there is the flip side of that coin where many sexual assault victims do not become sexual predators.

To imply that someone is owed something because, for example, a great ancestor was harmed as a child in a Catholic school, would result in complete, ridiculous chaos if every descendant of a victimized person deserved compensation.
This is not really the case. The first nations people had a treaty ...a legal agreement with white people. This was there land and they agreed to share in exchange for certain things. The white people/ the government continually role the treats if the agreement. You can't just break a contract because it becomes inconvenient. A deal is a deal. The first nations people are not getting handouts ..... this was part of the treaty made.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:59 AM

230 posts, read 434,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I wish there was an easier way, but it seems to me that the only way to avoid these problems is to relocate as many isolated reservations/native communities as possible closer to larger centers. They need better housing, better schools, health care, rehabilitation centers, child care, access to jobs, etc and they will never get that living up in their no-where lands.

Maybe years ago these communities used to flourish with the natural resources of clean water, fishing/hunting/gathering, and living a nomad's simple way of life, but not this day and age.

For years now, these small isolated communities have provided NOTHING for these people but an unbreakable circle of despair, joblessness, alcoholism, drugs and sexual abuse. Too many young people are committing suicide to escape the despair. Giving them money is obviously NOT working to help in improving their lives, except for the crooked chiefs and their cronies who refuse to give any transparency of the funds being spent.
These Reserves are their ancestral homeland. How would you like it if I took you from your home and tell you that you would be better off elsewhere.. paternalistic much??

Honestly, your various comments on this thread are revolting, and show how little you know - not just about First Nations issues, but about basic sociology/psychology. If you remove children from their parents in an effort to destroy their culture for 80+ years, and expose many of these children to spiritual/sexual/physical abuse, this sends ripple effects throughout the community from which they come for generations to come. We have only begun to acknowledge the terrible impact of residential schools as a society. What we don't need now is another misinformed white person going around and spreading the kind of nonsense you're spreading here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or