Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 11:34 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowit88 View Post
If I go back in for sure going to school in the fall I just need to know what happens if I don't pay my tuition in America
Have you already received the services that you need to pay the tuition fees for? If so then you should make arrangements to pay for services already rendered. If you don't then you would be committing fraud.

Avoiding financial obligations and committing fraud in one country is not a good way to try to start off a new life in another country. In the long run the consequences of the crime will come back to bite you in the butt.

Last edited by Zoisite; 11-15-2016 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 04:33 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
How are you planning on supporting yourself once back in Canada?.The thought occurred to me if your credit is poor in the USA you may not be eligible for future loans student or otherwise here in Canada.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:55 AM

17,133 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowit88 View Post
If I go back in for sure going to school in the fall I just need to know what happens if I don't pay my tuition in America
Nothing really... They'll send it off to collections and it may have a negative impact on your American credit. If you're living in Canada (and are Canadian) it won't affect you.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Nothing really... They'll send it off to collections and it may have a negative impact on your American credit. If you're living in Canada (and are Canadian) it won't affect you.
It could have a negative impact on the OP's eligibility to get credit in Canada. Additionally, the OP is majoring in Public Administration which is government work. If the OP will eventually be seeking employment as a civil servant with the Canadian government, which is what the OP's major implies, a criminal records check and credit check for outstanding debts in collections even in another country won't go down well for the OP.

Last edited by Zoisite; 11-16-2016 at 12:37 PM..

Old 11-16-2016, 12:46 PM

17,133 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It could have a negative impact on the OP's eligibility to get credit in Canada. Additionally, the OP is majoring in Public Administration which is government work. If the OP will eventually be seeking employment as a civil servant with the Canadian government, which is what the OP's major implies, a criminal records check and credit check for outstanding debts in collections even in another country won't go down well for the OP.

That's interesting. I'm not doubting what you're saying, but I personally am able to obtain credit in Canada fairly easily; I highly doubt they are checking my American credit, as the latter has a few blemishes. I've never had to provide a Canadian entity with my SSN, which they generally need to run American credit checks.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:07 PM

625 posts, read 1,389,446 times
It's no big deal to move here, as a citizen you have a right to enter and reside in Canada, even without a passport. If you have a birth certificate, contact a Canadian consulate and ask what you need to do to establish proof of citizenship.

Once here you have all your rights as a citizen. You will need to get a social insurance number which take a short visit to a Service Canada office. Most provinces seem to have a three month that wait period before you can sign up for health coverage, so if it's a concern you an buy travellers insurance in the meantime. You can enroll at any university as a citizen, and Canada does not have an equivalent to the "out of state" tuition that the U.S. states all seem to have.

It seemed to me the credit systems were quite separate and wr were treated like a blank slate despite ha Long good credit in the U.S. I'm not sure how this would play out if you had bad credit in the U.S., though.

I would not leave the U.S. with any unpaid debts like tuition, as it could come back to bite you in so many ways. It may affect your credit, you may be put in collection, I don't know. There may be ways for them to collect on you in Canada, or you may want or come back to the U.S. one day. Your unpaid debts will accrue penalties and I interest. So, if you need to, id say lay I off or arrange a long term repayment plan, loan, etc.

If you makw the move, welcome!

Old 11-16-2016, 05:18 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Your school here in the US will not give you credit for or transfer any classes that you haven't payed for. So if you need the credits, you should pay the bill.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
That's interesting. I'm not doubting what you're saying, but I personally am able to obtain credit in Canada fairly easily; I highly doubt they are checking my American credit, as the latter has a few blemishes. I've never had to provide a Canadian entity with my SSN, which they generally need to run American credit checks.
I think your case is a different situation though. Have you ever applied for employment as a civil servant with Canada's government? I'm guessing not. It's a whole different kettle of fish. All kinds of checks are done in order to make sure an applicant for government jobs is "vetted" and squeaky clean, no matter what country they came from.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:38 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
I'm going to add one more thing. If you have unpaid tuition in the states and leave, you might not be allowed back in if you ever want to visit your mother (if she is staying in the states). Your name might very well be red-flagged at the border to enter back into the US until you have paid them off.

So, I also say to pay off your tuition fees before leaving the US or at least find out the proper way to make payments on your US tuition fees from Canada once you secure a job.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Bottom line? you borrowed the money have some personal integrity and pay it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada