U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2016, 03:46 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,776,432 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article today and was pretty surpised about learning about this association....

MISSION | Bikers Against Child Abuse International

I am from Toronto and seeing Bikers in Toronto ( ex a formal group of Bikers) is pretty uncommon likely because of poor traffic flow in general.

I am not really sure what to think about this...

Anyone have any opinions or experiences relating to this they want to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 04:18 PM

242 posts, read 163,928 times
Funny you post about this. Saturday I was driving home here in Montreal and I saw a biker with a jacket that said Bikers Against Child Abuse. This was the first I have ever seen or heard of this group. After reading your link I think their goal is admirable but there are some parts of their interventions that sound a little questionable. For example, under Level 4 intervention they state, "if, however, ANY person should seek to inflict harm on one of our B.A.C.A. Members, we will respond with commitment and loyalty to protect our Member". At this point they are better off calling the police.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:32 PM

7,217 posts, read 6,572,923 times
I don't have any experience with them but I don't have an objection to any part of their Mission Statement.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:05 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 514gal View Post
Funny you post about this. Saturday I was driving home here in Montreal and I saw a biker with a jacket that said Bikers Against Child Abuse. This was the first I have ever seen or heard of this group. After reading your link I think their goal is admirable but there are some parts of their interventions that sound a little questionable. For example, under Level 4 intervention they state, "if, however, ANY person should seek to inflict harm on one of our B.A.C.A. Members, we will respond with commitment and loyalty to protect our Member". At this point they are better off calling the police.
That is the thing ... it seems admirable on some levels... but also reminds me of how gangs or cults recruit new members ex join forces with us and we will protect you or give your a higher purpose... which is sort of what attracts people that feel oppressed.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:09 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't have any experience with them but I don't have an objection to any part of their Mission Statement.

But here is the thing ... in you read more in to what they are saying passive aggressively suggests addressing violence with more violence. I think the intentions in general are good... but not sure about the overall execution. Also important this does not mean al Bikers are against child violence or not potential child abusers. Do we want to suggest to kids that instead of going to the police they should run to the nearest biker's chapter to get them to go after the person that may be hurting them?

Old 11-22-2016, 02:01 AM

7,217 posts, read 6,572,923 times
Here is a bit more history about BACA.

FAQ’S | Bikers Against Child Abuse International

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikers...st_Child_Abuse

I doubt violent or cultish behaviour from the bikers is a problem. The whole point of the organization is anti-violence and funding therapy for abused children. They are motorcyclists ..... bikers ..... they are not some kind of criminal vigilante biker gang.

They're operative in 9 countries, been around for 6 years, founded by a licensed clinical social worker, there's a lot of members from all walks of life, all occupations and professions. They all have to go through pretty damned rigorous criminal record checks and take the BACA 101 training course before they're allowed to join the organization. One of the qualifiers is that they MUST each own a motorcycle.

If they were a bunch of Boy Scouts and Girl Guides on bicycles would that make their mission statement more acceptable?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or