U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 05:50 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,537,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I wonder if there are elements of Canadian society who actually envied Fidel Castro's ability to stand up to the United States. Is that what attracted Pierre Trudeau to Castro? I read they were both educated by Jesuits, who have long had a left-wing "liberation theology" streak.
I don't know how much liberation theology had to do with it. It was actually Diefenbaker who continued Canada's relations with Cuba, and indeed a part of it was to emphasize Canada's independence from the United States. WRT Trudeau, I think it was a different time and many of the brightest minds were attracted to the idea of building a better society which ties into Irene's impressions below which I tend to agree with. https://www.thestar.com/opinion/edit...editorial.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I remember Pierre Trudeau as being an intellectual ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual ) and his frequent talking about a Just Society.

One article about it (you can google for others): Pierre Trudeau: Champion of a Just Society

I suspect that Trudeau and Castro's common bond was an enjoyment of personal discussions/arguments with each other on that subject.

*shrug* That's my guess but I don't really know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 05:59 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,537,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Didn't Canada have diplomatic relations with all the "fascist " nations the United States did? Examples including Pinochet's Chile, Franco's Spain, and Argentina during its "Dirty War "? If so, was this because the US forced them to do it?
I'd have to look it up but yes, that would be my whole point in this thread, that it is ridiculous to single out Trudeau's condolences to Cuba when all countries do business with countries who are sorely lacking in the area of human rights. My intention is not to exclude Canada from that or to assume a position of moral superiority to the US. Canada is not the powerhouse the US is and it is impossible to say that we would have done otherwise had we been in that position. If I gave the impression that I think Canada is morally superior to the US, I apologise as that was not my intent. It was to point out that wrt Trudeau's condolences, they were over stated, but that does not make the U.S. morally superior to Canada.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:32 PM

18,273 posts, read 10,374,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'd have to look it up but yes, that would be my whole point in this thread, that it is ridiculous to single out Trudeau's condolences to Cuba when all countries do business with countries who are sorely lacking in the area of human rights. My intention is not to exclude Canada from that or to assume a position of moral superiority to the US. Canada is not the powerhouse the US is and it is impossible to say that we would have done otherwise had we been in that position. If I gave the impression that I think Canada is morally superior to the US, I apologise as that was not my intent. It was to point out that wrt Trudeau's condolences, they were over stated, but that does not make the U.S. morally superior to Canada.
Very evenly and correctly stated Netwit. Moral superiority in the area of politics is an oxymoron.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:43 PM

5,941 posts, read 2,289,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Very simplistic view. If there is a disturbance in town, who are you going to call? A guy with a chihuahua or a guy with a pit bull?
The pit bull did very well with Iraq. And why again if the USA is so tough and can save the world by theMs elves did Canadian men and women die fighting in Afghanistan? I guess having ten times the population may mean you should have ten times the might. When America stops supporting brutal dictators you can put Trudeau down for recognizing the good that a person who has just died had accomplished. I get the feeling your country will soon be supporting Assad who is neither democratically elected or very nice to his people and the USA has no problem dealing with Vietnam or China or Saudi Arabia either. If the leaders of any of those countries dies I expect most diplomats will say kind words about them too.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:21 PM

2,567 posts, read 1,336,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
The pit bull did very well with Iraq. And why again if the USA is so tough and can save the world by theMs elves did Canadian men and women die fighting in Afghanistan? I guess having ten times the population may mean you should have ten times the might. When America stops supporting brutal dictators you can put Trudeau down for recognizing the good that a person who has just died had accomplished. I get the feeling your country will soon be supporting Assad who is neither democratically elected or very nice to his people and the USA has no problem dealing with Vietnam or China or Saudi Arabia either. If the leaders of any of those countries dies I expect most diplomats will say kind words about them too.

Uggghh. You win, you got me.

Perhaps on another day I'll pull out the crayons and draw it so that even a caveman can understand it, but not this evening. Much of it is already here in this thread if you care to read.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:54 PM

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ima.../nixon_mao.png

The guy on the left murdered between 30 and 70 million of his own people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...%C3%A9dici.gif

Again with the American trained torture squads? Is it something in the water down there?

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/...terrorism.html
"As admitted by the U.S. government, recently declassified documents show that in the 1960’s, the American Joint Chiefs of Staff signed off on a plan to blow up AMERICAN airplanes (using an elaborate plan involving the switching of airplanes), and also to commit terrorist acts on American soil, and then to blame it on the Cubans in order to justify an invasion of Cuba. See the following ABC news report; the official documents; and watch this interview with the former Washington Investigative Producer for ABC’s World News Tonight with Peter Jennings".

Makes for great bedtime reading. It's gotta be the water.

Not suprised you're still playing with crayons.

Last edited by BruSan; 11-29-2016 at 09:15 PM..

Old 11-29-2016, 08:58 PM

15,909 posts, read 6,260,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
I just hope when he meets with Trump that Trump will spank this fanatic yoga smiling baby and put him in his place.
That meeting may take a while to happen. Bush and Chretien never had an official visit until their meeting on the Ambassador Bridge between Detroit and Windsor. Bush agreed to a short state visit when Martin took over. I am not sure how frequently Obama and Harper met but it wasn't often.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
What I can say is that under progressive rule and the soft tyranny of political correctness...I am actually pleased that Trump is president. I was beginning to feel as a traditional liberal conservative.....a second class citizen. These spoiled elites are more than happy to dance about in the Pride parade thinking they are making a better world...while woman who are woman and men who are men are oppressed and seen as out of fashion.
Even though I didn't vote for Trump, I tend to agree with you on that. And PC is far worse in Canada than here. You even had a "PC" party.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:04 AM

2,567 posts, read 1,336,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ima.../nixon_mao.png

The guy on the left murdered between 30 and 70 million of his own people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...%C3%A9dici.gif

Again with the American trained torture squads? Is it something in the water down there?

Is America the World's Largest Sponsor of Terrorism?
"As admitted by the U.S. government, recently declassified documents show that in the 1960s, the American Joint Chiefs of Staff signed off on a plan to blow up AMERICAN airplanes (using an elaborate plan involving the switching of airplanes), and also to commit terrorist acts on American soil, and then to blame it on the Cubans in order to justify an invasion of Cuba. See the following ABC news report; the official documents; and watch this interview with the former Washington Investigative Producer for ABCs World News Tonight with Peter Jennings".

Makes for great bedtime reading. It's gotta be the water.

Not suprised you're still playing with crayons.

Obviously while we're drinking water, you're drinking cognac and whiskey. What you have there is a pile of America (and its allies) hating drivel. If you lack the critical thinking skills to see through what you have posted, there is no help. You're permanently jaded.

Here's another one for you to reflect on to help you understand your diagnosis.

Before You Flee to Canada, Can We Talk? (washingtonpost.com)

Old 11-30-2016, 07:49 AM

5,954 posts, read 7,324,357 times
Quote:
Obviously while we're drinking water, you're drinking cognac and whiskey. What you have there is a pile of America (and its allies) hating drivel. If you lack the critical thinking skills to see through what you have posted, there is no help. You're permanently jaded.

How can Americans want to take over Canada yet we supposedly also don't care about it or ever visit it at the same time?

Old 11-30-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:

I have to admire your capacity for deliberate ignorance.

Historical facts well known and recorded are now referred to as "American hating drivel". Even when it's authored by American administration officials. They must be drinking the cognac instead of the water.

No wonder Hollywood has so easily replaced your ability to discern fact from fiction.

You're actually quite right about me being permanently jaded, but then I suspect you have no freak'n idea of what that word actually means. No surprise there.

Stop drinking the water; and switch over to a fine Canadian Rye whiskey while there's still hope!

Meantime, here's another one originating in the halls of your capital for you to ignore as probably just more of Americans hating on Americans :http://www.nytimes.com/ref/internati...UIDE.html?_r=0.

This is fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada