U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 10:16 AM

20 posts, read 7,957 times

Advertisements

twits tweet (enuf said)

Would have liked to see where the world would have been during the cuba- missile crisis if our Pres had twitter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 03:46 PM

15,846 posts, read 6,238,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Nestling under our defense umbrella I can see why.
Defense from who? i may have previously thought Russia but now as America and Russia are best buddies your defense umbrella is no longer needed.
Trump hasn't taken office yet, and you are very unwise to make such naïve statements (all based on Trump tweets, it seems). There's much opposition in the Congress among Republicans as well as Democrats to any "best buddies" relations with the Kremlin. Trump will face the whirlwind should he decide to go off the rails with American allies. That includes U.S. relations with the three Baltic republics, the defense shield, US-EU economic sanctions on Russia, and much more.
Relations with Russia are frequently romanced. Every President has thought he could turn the trick with Russia. Noble thoughts but never happens. Russia is not a country one can do business with. And these days there are other threats, such as Radical Islam. Maybe Trudeau can use his social work treacle to convince the Muslims to like the Western countries and stop attacking.

Somehow I doubt it. At that point U.S. resources become very important, for Canada's benefit as well as that of the U.S.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:22 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,306,292 times
Quote:
Relations with Russia are frequently romanced. Every President has thought he could turn the trick with Russia. Noble thoughts but never happens. Russia is not a country one can do business with. And these days there are other threats, such as Radical Islam. Maybe Trudeau can use his social work treacle to convince the Muslims to like the Western countries and stop attacking.

Somehow I doubt it. At that point U.S. resources become very important, for Canada's benefit as well as that of the U.S.
I do agree. I am still amused by Jambo101's prediction of a "new nice" between the US and Russia after Trump takes office -- as if the Atlantic Alliance can be overturned in four years. That simply won't happen, as Trump must deal with a US Congress that will be largely hostile to any our-pal-Putin foreign policy. Some Congressmen/-women will be on Trump's side, yes; too many others won't be.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:08 PM

18,262 posts, read 10,360,166 times
Quote:

Well, in case we ever suffer an attack of scale due solely to Trudeau's failure to "treacle" them, we'll be sure to call so you can nuke 'em with an "important" resource we don't have.

Oh wait; we've already had a terrorist attack killing over 268 Canadian citizens way back in 1985 and guess what; the wheels didn't fall off our wagon, we didn't go into collective hysteria, nor did the U.S. and it's "resources" provide any useful function at all. In point of fact, Canada probably didn't even bother calling and quite probably won't bother the next time either

Our government did not choose to instill within us a culture of fear directed at Sikh's in general to justify ramping up military expenditures and run off and invade somebody on a false pretext.

More importantly we got to use our collective intelligence to avoid lemming-like behaviour to the extent that a highly respected Sikh is the current defence minister. Multiculturalism and ability to apply rational thought in actual practice. Go figure, eh.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:17 PM

18,262 posts, read 10,360,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
I do agree. I am still amused by Jambo101's prediction of a "new nice" between the US and Russia after Trump takes office -- as if the Atlantic Alliance can be overturned in four years. That simply won't happen, as Trump must deal with a US Congress that will be largely hostile to any our-pal-Putin foreign policy. Some Congressmen/-women will be on Trump's side, yes; too many others won't be.
I could be wrong, but knowing a bit about Jambo's humour; I'd opine that was indeed his intent.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:37 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well, in case we ever suffer an attack of scale due solely to Trudeau's failure to "treacle" them, we'll be sure to call so you can nuke 'em with an "important" resource we don't have.

Oh wait; we've already had a terrorist attack killing over 268 Canadian citizens way back in 1985 and guess what; the wheels didn't fall off our wagon, we didn't go into collective hysteria, nor did the U.S. and it's "resources" provide any useful function at all. In point of fact, Canada probably didn't even bother calling and quite probably won't bother the next time either

Our government did not choose to instill within us a culture of fear directed at Sikh's in general to justify ramping up military expenditures and run off and invade somebody on a false pretext.

More importantly we got to use our collective intelligence to avoid lemming-like behaviour to the extent that a highly respected Sikh is the current defence minister. Multiculturalism and ability to apply rational thought in actual practice. Go figure, eh.
I tend to be a bit of a cynic and stuff like "Canada-has-found-the-answer" generally makes me cringe.

But sometimes, someone lines everything up, connects all the dots, and even though we all know that Canada doesn't really have "all the answers", still makes a pretty convincing argument that maybe...

Old 01-02-2017, 09:41 PM

5,687 posts, read 6,531,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I could be wrong, but knowing a bit about Jambo's humour; I'd opine that was indeed his intent.
Sort of as if I posted that I thought Trump's presidency would be 'great' and 'terrific.'

Old 01-03-2017, 04:58 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Nestling under our defense umbrella I can see why.
to provide protection is more of insurane policy to the US than to Canada. Just imagine the hysteria the US might fall into if Canada is captured by a foreign power (let is be Russia or China or whatever). What if Canada agrees to have a Russia/Chinese military base?

If any country does invade Canada, one should know that Canada won't be the primary target. The "defense umbrella" is NOT free, nor is it selfish.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:08 AM

34,355 posts, read 41,427,648 times
I think if Russia tried to invade Canada and America tried to repel such an attack the resultant conflict would reduce Canada to a similar status as Syria now enjoys.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:08 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think if Russia tried to invade Canada and America tried to repel such an attack the resultant conflict would reduce Canada to a similar status as Syria now enjoys.
probably so.

The thing is, America would not allow Canada to be taken by Russia even if Canada agrees, would it.

No outside power wanted to take Syria, and it is largely the selfish agendas of western power who wanted to take advantage of a messy conflict to remove Assad that led to the human Syrian catastrophe. Thank God the terrorists (oops, "rebels who flight for freedom") lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada