U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2017, 04:48 PM
 
18,374 posts, read 10,450,887 times
Reputation: 13447

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
No, comical and tragic at the same time...is not just the scale but also the nature of the tragedy...but I understand that you do not....understand (pun intended)..and I do not even mention the vastly different geopolitical status of the US comparing to Canada which inevitably (for better or for worse) shape this country foreign policy.

Rather than keep digging, just admit you made a senseless comparison....we all make mistakes...



Again, there is no fiasco...yet....actually the only one came from the mainstream media...again we are doing just fine maybe you do need to get out more.... I bet your senior friends down there so far are fairly happy looking at their portfolios...



The Electoral College worked exactly as intended....American Civic Education 101...but, again, if you rely on mainstream media for actual thoughtful information...I understand....
We were talking about response to tragedy...remember? Not all that other nonsense you're attempting to deflect with.

The "fiasco:" being the over two year process culminating in this exercise of Americans hating on each other for no good reason other than their party having blue and red as their motif colours. Care to peruse the P&OC section to glean a bit of "understanding"?

My Senior friends down here are completely indicative whereof I speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2017, 07:23 PM
 
3,164 posts, read 2,085,044 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
We were talking about response to tragedy...remember? Not all that other nonsense you're attempting to deflect with.
...and you keep comparing two tragedies on a completely different level...so the response will be different....maybe third time is a charm...

Quote:
The "fiasco:" being the over two year process culminating in this exercise of Americans hating on each other for no good reason other than their party having blue and red as their motif colours. Care to peruse the P&OC section to glean a bit of "understanding"?
Americans do not hate each other....in what reality do you live??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2017, 08:23 PM
 
18,374 posts, read 10,450,887 times
Reputation: 13447
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...and you keep comparing two tragedies on a completely different level...so the response will be different....maybe third time is a charm...



Americans do not hate each other....in what reality do you live??
Once again, although why I bother is beyond me.

We're not comparing the tragedies; we're comparing the response to them.

Oh cra*: you cannot be serious! Obviously the reality I live in has nothing to do with your fairy tale world.

You've endured a recent period where Americans of all stripes have declared hatred for each other in no uncertain terms. Good grief Saturno you just keep jumping from one shark to the next.

Cripes ahmighty, don't you watch your own news?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2017, 12:11 AM
 
3,164 posts, read 2,085,044 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Once again, although why I bother is beyond me.

We're not comparing the tragedies; we're comparing the response to them.

....and, for the last time, I will give up after that, the response to 2 totally different levels of tragedies (entity and nature) will be different...


Quote:
You've endured a recent period where Americans of all stripes have declared hatred for each other in no uncertain terms. Good grief Saturno you just keep jumping from one shark to the next.

Cripes ahmighty, don't you watch your own news?

...that is your problem, you watch too many "news"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2017, 06:48 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,991 posts, read 27,488,175 times
Reputation: 8627
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...that was actually a pie in the sky logic concoction at best....
I don't think it's pie in the sky to say that, without saying it's perfect, Canada is in a pretty good spot on the "diversity" front.

Part of this is its own doing and part of it is simply luck.

It may not last forever either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2017, 06:56 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,991 posts, read 27,488,175 times
Reputation: 8627
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
....and, for the last time, I will give up after that, the response to 2 totally different levels of tragedies (entity and nature) will be different...

...
At the risk of being horribly non-PC, the Air India tragedy involved Canadian citizens for sure, but it was people with roots in India killing people with roots in India.

This does not minimize the scope of the tragedy, but especially back in the day, this fact certainly minimized the shock value for what one might refer to as "heartland Canada".

I was a teen when it happened and while it was extensively covered and we were all horrified and saddened, no one saw it as an "attack on Canada". It was basically seen as a foreign squabble transposed into an accessorily Canadian context.

It was not really the same as if a bunch of Chinese terrorists killed 250 people named Smith and Wilson in Listowel, Ontario.

Maybe today things would be different as the notion of who is Canadian has broadened and diversified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2017, 07:05 AM
 
18,374 posts, read 10,450,887 times
Reputation: 13447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think it's pie in the sky to say that, without saying it's perfect, Canada is in a pretty good spot on the "diversity" front.

Part of this is its own doing and part of it is simply luck.

It may not last forever either.
I'm going to really throw a rock through the window here and will attempt to insulate others from the blowback I know will come aplenty........BUT.........my opinion only.........our "luck" at defining our reactions to various happenstances that befall Canada is partly due to being able to view the results, good and bad, of efforts made by others as they react.

We get to see first hand the dangers of government overt patterning our thinking, or the allowing the government manipulation of it, to satisfy unspecified and clandestine agendas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2017, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,991 posts, read 27,488,175 times
Reputation: 8627
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I'm going to really throw a rock through the window here and will attempt to insulate others from the blowback I know will come aplenty........BUT.........my opinion only.........our "luck" at defining our reactions to various happenstances that befall Canada is partly due to being able to view the results, good and bad, of efforts made by others as they react.

We get to see first hand the dangers of government overt patterning our thinking, or the allowing the government manipulation of it, to satisfy unspecified and clandestine agendas.
I was thinking more of our geography, but this is likely true as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2017, 07:52 AM
 
18,374 posts, read 10,450,887 times
Reputation: 13447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
At the risk of being horribly non-PC, the Air India tragedy involved Canadian citizens for sure, but it was people with roots in India killing people with roots in India.

This does not minimize the scope of the tragedy, but especially back in the day, this fact certainly minimized the shock value for what one might refer to as "heartland Canada".

I was a teen when it happened and while it was extensively covered and we were all horrified and saddened, no one saw it as an "attack on Canada". It was basically seen as a foreign squabble transposed into an accessorily Canadian context.

It was not really the same as if a bunch of Chinese terrorists killed 250 people named Smith and Wilson in Listowel, Ontario.

Maybe today things would be different as the notion of who is Canadian has broadened and diversified.
Understood. However, while it was apparent who and what, Canada and Canadians refused to attach a broad brush response as proven with Sikh's, among other minorities, employed as airport security personnel performing the 'wanding' immediately after those events without major complaint from the Canadian flying public.

Canadians bristled but prevailed by not over-reacting. Men wearing very visible Turbans in Canada which serve to immediately identify them as Sikh's, did not all immediately become social pariahs.

While on the other hand a culture of fear generated by opportunistic governmental leadership can and does result in:
Confused Americans are still attacking Sikhs because they think they’re Muslims | National Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2017, 09:06 AM
 
3,164 posts, read 2,085,044 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think it's pie in the sky to say that, without saying it's perfect, Canada is in a pretty good spot on the "diversity" front.

Part of this is its own doing and part of it is simply luck.

It may not last forever either.

Canada is pretty good but so is the US...the reality on the ground, for example, is that minorities immigrant have been on average more successful in the US than Canada...and in my personal experience even better integrated in the mainstream society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top