U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 09:07 AM

3,153 posts, read 2,075,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
At the risk of being horribly non-PC, the Air India tragedy involved Canadian citizens for sure, but it was people with roots in India killing people with roots in India.

This does not minimize the scope of the tragedy, but especially back in the day, this fact certainly minimized the shock value for what one might refer to as "heartland Canada".

I was a teen when it happened and while it was extensively covered and we were all horrified and saddened, no one saw it as an "attack on Canada". It was basically seen as a foreign squabble transposed into an accessorily Canadian context.

It was not really the same as if a bunch of Chinese terrorists killed 250 people named Smith and Wilson in Listowel, Ontario.

Maybe today things would be different as the notion of who is Canadian has broadened and diversified.

Exactly right, hopefully BruSan will understand this time....evidently he needs a detailed explanation step by step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 10:12 AM

3,919 posts, read 2,734,227 times
I think here in Canada we tend to hear the loudest voices coming from the U.S. There are other voices. I came across this story a few days ago:

Refugees reinvigorate declining upstate New York town

Old 01-04-2017, 10:58 AM

18,315 posts, read 10,393,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Exactly right, hopefully BruSan will understand this time....evidently he needs a detailed explanation step by step.
A/J has his opinions and I have mine. They more often than not do not align so it will not be hard to find him disagreeing with me and that of course would more often than not put him in alignment with you.

Are you surprised at the logic?

You should be aware however that because two individuals agree does not necessarily indicate consenus.

The word "tragedy" does not have sub-categories and once again the response to 9/11 was categorized more for it's resultant government needing to be seen to act, even if stupidly.

Canada, to date has not suffered from that required optical imperative, nor do I think a tragedy of scale would precipitate a like response. Canada didn't entertain, nor was it opined by anyone the blaming of "Sikhism" because Sikhs planted bombs on Canadian planes.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

The word "tragedy" does not have sub-categories
...tragedies can have different entity and nature....fourth time is a charm??...maybe??

Old 01-04-2017, 04:55 PM

18,315 posts, read 10,393,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...tragedies can have different entity and nature....fourth time is a charm??...maybe??
Getting tiresome.

Tragedy: an event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe.

The word you've been looking for all these posts is "scope" and it is my position that the scope on any similar 'tragedy of scale' would result in a completely different response from Canada's leadership than that of the U.S. with it's typical hidden agendas involving everything from Saudi oil to Russian natural gas pipelines. All concerns Canada's leadership does not have, is not influenced by, and would not allow to assume pre-eminent importance in fabricating any response in any case.

You disagree .....situation normal.

Last edited by BruSan; 01-04-2017 at 05:39 PM..

Old 01-04-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Getting tiresome.

Tragedy: an event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe.

The word you've been looking for all these posts is "scope" and it is my position that the scope on any similar 'tragedy of scale' would result in a completely different response from Canada's leadership than that of the U.S. with it's typical hidden agendas involving everything from Saudi oil to Russian natural gas pipelines. All concerns Canada's leadership does not have, is not influenced by, and would not allow to assume pre-eminent importance in fabricating any response in any case.

You disagree .....situation normal.

I give up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada