U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-28-2016, 10:30 AM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,569 posts, read 17,809,801 times
Reputation: 31001

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I don't have any problem with what Justin said? A lot of people don't have an anti Castro opinion in Canada.
I always thought of Canada as a humanist, moral society that looked down on things like firing squads and mass graves. I guess a lot of Canadians are more depraved than I thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2016, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,724 posts, read 8,803,839 times
Reputation: 7331
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
You started off your post, as you have so many here, with references to "liberals." My reference to the US was based on the fact that this thread was begun by an American, with the usual knee-jerk reaction on the subject of Cuba, and I assumed that your references to liberals was made in the context of the OP. The fact is that countries trade all the time with other countries whose internal policies are despicable and offer condolences on the passing of leaders who should be going straight to hell. It is odd to single out Castro given the circumstances as though there's a moral high ground in despising Castro specifically, and others not at all.

I'm glad you dislike dictatorships of any kind. I do too. I'd really hate to see the US practise of delineating everyone into "liberal" and "conservative" camps take hold in Canada. It's okay to despise dictators and it's not that unusual for heads of state to offer condolences on the passing of other heads of state, regardless of whether they are liberal or conservative. Canada always had a relationship with Cuba unlike the U.S. I agree partially with Trudeau's words of condolence but I think he went a little too far with it, confusing his family's friendship with Castro, with the condolences of this country. It should have been worded differently, imo.
Perfectly put. I am not pleased with some of his praise. I too at first gave him slack because of his father's relationship, but then wondered how the heck did his speech pass unchanged by his advisors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,724 posts, read 8,803,839 times
Reputation: 7331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
So as not to derail the topic of this thread, I'll refrain from responding.


Here is the perfect response to Castro's death. Not crude, not lacking diplomacy. Just the truth.
Yes a good statement and an obvious one, but said a little too soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 11:50 AM
 
Location: New York Area
16,037 posts, read 6,320,768 times
Reputation: 12443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Perfectly put. I am not pleased with some of his praise. I too at first gave him slack because of his father's relationship, but then wondered how the heck did his speech pass unchanged by his advisors?
Does a PM need a babysitter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
5,974 posts, read 7,344,616 times
Reputation: 3741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Your Prime Minister can go straight to hell.

Words of Justin Trudeau:

It is with deep sorrow that I learned today of the death of Cuba’s longest serving President.

Fidel Castro was a larger than life leader who served his people for almost half a century. A legendary revolutionary and orator, Mr. Castro made significant improvements to the education and healthcare of his island nation.

While a controversial figure, both Mr. Castro’s supporters and detractors recognized his tremendous dedication and love for the Cuban people who had a deep and lasting affection for “el Comandante”.

I know my father was very proud to call him a friend and I had the opportunity to meet Fidel when my father passed away. It was also a real honour to meet his three sons and his brother President Raśl Castro during my recent visit to Cuba.

On behalf of all Canadians, Sophie and I offer our deepest condolences to the family, friends and many, many supporters of Mr. Castro. We join the people of Cuba today in mourning the loss of this remarkable leader.
I have generally had a positive image of Trudeau from what I have seen of him however, his statement on Castro's death seemed way too warm and personal for such a controversial figure. I see the benefit of cordial relations with Cuba and hope the US continues to move in that direction but I sure would never want to consider someone like Castro as my friend. I thought Obama's statement on his death was more appropriate and acknowledged it appropriately.

I don't get why some non Cuban Americans get so personally offended by Cuba though, they're not going to change and clearly that stupid embargo has done nothing.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,521 posts, read 20,943,884 times
Reputation: 13858
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I don't get why some non Cuban Americans get so personally offended by Cuba though, they're not going to change and clearly that stupid embargo has done nothing.....
Really? If it's done nothing, why do Cuba and its apologists continue to bleat about its being lifted? After all, the rest of the world, including Canada, has openly traded with Cuba for decades while conveniently overlooking the widespread abuses of human rights on the island prison. Surely the absence of the United States as a supporter of a Stalinist dictatorship 90 miles away is not that big a deal.

The fact is that Castro pimped his country for the USSR, then switched to Hugo Chavez and Venezuela when the Soviets imploded. Now, with oil prices having collapsed and Chavez just an unpleasant memory, the Castro regime seeks another sugardaddy to prop up its geriatric, repressive Stalinist state. Why in the world should America be the lastest sponsor of Cuban repression? Obama was a fool to open the door even a crack, just to bolster his reputatioon with international leftist/socialists.

After Raul croaks, there is a long line of Marxist apparatchiks just itching to live like kings while the Cuban people make do with a third-world economy and keep their 1957 DeSotos running with baling wire and duct tape. Face it: Cuba is a permanent totalitarian garbage pile. Let it rot.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 11-28-2016 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 02:32 PM
 
2,566 posts, read 2,191,264 times
Reputation: 1816
Firstly, I think some of my fellow Americans should take the time and remind ourselves that Canada is NOT America and has no obligations to abide by all things America. Canada is a U.S. ally but it's under no obligation whatsoever to exactly toe the U.S. line on foreign affairs.

Secondly, Canada's relationship with Cuba goes way back. Canada was one of the few western and NATO nations to maintain its diplomatic relation with Cuba after the Cuban missile crisis, providing a continuous flow of food and humanitarian aid over the years while under tremendous pressure from the U.S. and NATO to cut ties with Cuba. In 2010 after P.E.Trudeau's passing, Fidel Castro personally flew to Trudeau's Montreal home to pay his last respects. Prime Minister Trudeau is simply reciprocating the respect that Castro has shown to his father 16 years earlier.

If Canada's head of state cannot even make his own eulogy statement without kowtowing to U.S. policies, then he probably doesn't deserve to be elected PM in the first place. Good for Mr. Trudeau for having a backbone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,707 posts, read 6,557,406 times
Reputation: 8223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Really? If it's done nothing, why do Cuba and its apologists continue to bleat about its being lifted? After all, the rest of the world, including Canada, has openly traded with Cuba for decades while conveniently overlooking the widespread abuses of human rights on the island prison. Surely the absence of the United States as a supporter of a Stalinist dictatorship 90 miles away is not that big a deal.

The fact is that Castro pimped his country for the USSR, then switched to Hugo Chavez and Venezuela when the Soviets imploded. Now, with oil prices having collapsed and Chavez just an unpleasant memory, the Castro regime seeks another sugardaddy to prop up its geriatric, repressive Stalinist state. Why in the world should America be the lastest sponsor of Cuban repression? Obama was a fool to open the door even a crack, just to bolster his reputatioon with international leftist/socialists.

After Raul croaks, there is a long line of Marxist apparatchiks just itching to live like kings while the Cuban people make do with a third-world economy and keep their 1957 DeSotos running with baling wire and duct tape. Face it: Cuba is a permanent totalitarian garbage pile. Let it rot.
Sort of like Saudi Arabia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,521 posts, read 20,943,884 times
Reputation: 13858
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Firstly, I think some of my fellow Americans should take the time and remind ourselves that Canada is NOT America and has no obligations to abide by all things America. Canada is a U.S. ally but it's under no obligation whatsoever to exactly toe the U.S. line on foreign affairs.

Secondly, Canada's relationship with Cuba goes way back. Canada was one of the few western and NATO nations to maintain its diplomatic relation with Cuba after the Cuban missile crisis, providing a continuous flow of food and humanitarian aid over the years while under tremendous pressure from the U.S. and NATO to cut ties with Cuba. In 2010 after P.E.Trudeau's passing, Fidel Castro personally flew to Trudeau's Montreal home to pay his last respects. Prime Minister Trudeau is simply reciprocating the respect that Castro has shown to his father 16 years earlier.

If Canada's head of state cannot even make his own eulogy statement without kowtowing to U.S. policies, then he probably doesn't deserve to be elected PM in the first place. Good for Mr. Trudeau for having a backbone.
Looks like his backbone seems to have wised up.

Canada's Trudeau won't attend Castro's funeral after social media backlash - Business Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,521 posts, read 20,943,884 times
Reputation: 13858
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Sort of like Saudi Arabia?
Other than the fact that SA is neither Marxist, useless to the United States, nor ninety miles away from Florida, yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top