U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-28-2016, 12:32 AM
 
972 posts, read 737,878 times
Reputation: 1044

Advertisements

What are Canadians views of non-white immigrants that are becoming a large part of the population? Are they more for that non-white immigration are do not care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2016, 12:48 AM
 
Location: British Columbia ♥ 🍁 ♥
7,217 posts, read 6,572,923 times
Reputation: 14148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
What are Canadians views of non-white immigrants that are becoming a large part of the population? Are they more for that non-white immigration are do not care.
Did you mean to ask are Canadians for or against, or do not care?

They could be purple with yellow and green polka dots for all I care.

I don't understand why so many people are hung about the colour of people. After all, it's not like we're going to be wearing them, so what's the big deal?

I don't care about immigrants colour or race, I only care about what positive qualities they will be contributing to benefit Canada.

.

Last edited by Zoisite; 11-28-2016 at 12:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 06:23 AM
 
18,264 posts, read 10,366,114 times
Reputation: 13320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
What are Canadians views of non-white immigrants that are becoming a large part of the population? Are they more for that non-white immigration are do not care.
Could you possibly be any more confusing and evasive?

Why not state the reason you ask the very poorly phrased question, so that we can discern what it is you're actually seeking as an answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 09:04 AM
 
34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Reputation: 29847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
What are Canadians views of non-white immigrants that are becoming a large part of the population? Are they more for that non-white immigration are do not care.
Very broad question Seattle, from all the people i talk to here in Canada the topic never comes up so IMO its not a major issue to most Canadians,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Canada
3,899 posts, read 2,725,320 times
Reputation: 5079
Why should I care? How does skin colour determine whether an immigrant will be an asset or liability to Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 03:24 PM
 
Location: BC Canada
831 posts, read 933,039 times
Reputation: 1119
I don't care about anyone's race but I certainly find some of the cultural attitudes they come with objectionable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Canada
3,899 posts, read 2,725,320 times
Reputation: 5079
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I don't care about anyone's race but I certainly find some of the cultural attitudes they come with objectionable.
Yeah, particularly white gun-loving Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,698 posts, read 8,486,989 times
Reputation: 4877
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I don't care about anyone's race but I certainly find some of the cultural attitudes they come with objectionable.
An important point of note. Mooguy's statement is quite telling of how Canadians frame the issue. The OPs question refers to race, a concept that Americans are very conscious of in a way that doesn't always translate over to Canada. I've seen it many times on this board when Americans and Canadians talk about the diversity of their cities and seem to be talking past one another, since the word seems to imply very different things in the two countries. When Americans say a place is diverse, they are referring to race, expressing that there are non-white people there. When Canadians say diverse they are referring to culture, expressing that many different cultures exist there. Americans seem to conflate race and culture due to the history of racism in the country causing Americans of different races to develop into distinct cultures. It's not really the main way Canadians conceive of the idea, however. Racism has played a role in Canada's past and exists in its present, to be absolutely sure, but race has taken a backseat to conflicts about culture, language, and religion.

As such, while immigration isn't uncontroversial in all sectors of society, most critics who object to immigrants for non-economic reasons view them as an "other" in terms of their cultures, not their races. Not everyone, of course, I do not deny that some racists exist in Canada, but on the whole, I maintain that race takes a backseat to culture here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2016, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,672 posts, read 8,743,773 times
Reputation: 7283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
An important point of note. Mooguy's statement is quite telling of how Canadians frame the issue. The OPs question refers to race, a concept that Americans are very conscious of in a way that doesn't always translate over to Canada. I've seen it many times on this board when Americans and Canadians talk about the diversity of their cities and seem to be talking past one another, since the word seems to imply very different things in the two countries. When Americans say a place is diverse, they are referring to race, expressing that there are non-white people there. When Canadians say diverse they are referring to culture, expressing that many different cultures exist there. Americans seem to conflate race and culture due to the history of racism in the country causing Americans of different races to develop into distinct cultures. It's not really the main way Canadians conceive of the idea, however. Racism has played a role in Canada's past and exists in its present, to be absolutely sure, but race has taken a backseat to conflicts about culture, language, and religion.

As such, while immigration isn't uncontroversial in all sectors of society, most critics who object to immigrants for non-economic reasons view them as an "other" in terms of their cultures, not their races. Not everyone, of course, I do not deny that some racists exist in Canada, but on the whole, I maintain that race takes a backseat to culture here.
Overall yes. In simple terms it appears that to Americans that if a community in the US contained only 3rd generation Americans but had a third blacks, that that is considered more diverse than an all white community in Canada that was full of new immigrants from 6 different countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2016, 11:07 AM
 
18,264 posts, read 10,366,114 times
Reputation: 13320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Overall yes. In simple terms it appears that to Americans that if a community in the US contained only 3rd generation Americans but had a third blacks, that that is considered more diverse than an all white community in Canada that was full of new immigrants from 6 different countries.
Nicely, concisely and accurately phrased. No one should take umbrage at your analysis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top