U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto is more similar to
Montreal 13 54.17%
Vancouver 11 45.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 12:34 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,281,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
F

- Mississauga to the West (which grew from a population of 80,000 in the 1980s to today's nearly 1 million)

Lastly, if you ever were to visit Toronto again, I highly recommend finding a short-term rental within the City of Toronto proper and leaving the car behind so as to have more time to explore the city neighborhoods.
haha, it is pretty pathetic that Mississauga remains a suburb, with almost 1 million people. I qm glad Gardiner will soon be tolled. I hope $10 one way, although they are talking about 2. $2? really?

I also don't see why people come to Toronto and end up seeing so much suburb? In fact, why they find the need to venture north of St Clair st is kind of perplexing. There is really nothing other there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 12:36 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,184,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
honestly Vancouver is just a small version of Toronto. No matter how you exaggerate the cultural difference, they are very similar.
Umm no it's not a "small version of Toronto." It is smaller, it speaks English, it watches CBC The National, but the similarity pretty much ends there.

Toronto does not have the following:

- Mountains
- Giant rain forest park in downtown
- The Pacific frigging Ocean
- Skytrains
- A dominant Asian/Chinese community that's the equivalent of a city's mainstream culture
- Rivers, bridges, and deltas that cover the entire region

Old 12-08-2016, 12:48 PM

21,960 posts, read 27,390,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
- A dominant Asian/Chinese community that's the equivalent of a city's mainstream culture

Well, let's not get carried away now.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:11 PM

9,707 posts, read 6,654,578 times
Quote:
haha, it is pretty pathetic that Mississauga remains a suburb, with almost 1 million people. I qm glad Gardiner will soon be tolled. I hope $10 one way, although they are talking about 2. $2? really?

I also don't see why people come to Toronto and end up seeing so much suburb? In fact, why they find the need to venture north of St Clair st is kind of perplexing. There is really nothing other there.
Family and friends in the area.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:27 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,184,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, let's not get carried away now.
Maybe dominant culture is a bit extreme, but Chinese/Asian culture is pretty much ubiquitous throughout Vancouver these days. My parents bought a house there couple years ago, and whenever I go to visit, I could get away with speaking Mandarin at many mainstream establishments (government offices, banks, large retailers), because there always happens to be someone who speaks Mandarin working at those places. But that wouldn't be remotely possible in most places in Toronto or Montreal. When I landed in YVR airport, I was shocked that all airport and transit signs are translated in Chinese, English, and French - specifically they are in simplified Chinese characters (the type used exclusively in mainland China), which to me shows the overarching influence China has played in Vancouver over the last 2 decades.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:44 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,756,479 times
It's true that Chinese/East Asian presence, while not the majority, dominate in Vancouver in a way that no cultural groups do in Toronto. Vancouver proper and two adjacent suburbs, Burnaby and Richmond, are all over 25% Chinese alone.

While Richmond is a Chinese "ethnoburb." Burnaby I suspect is seen as a sort multicultural mishmash Mississauga or Scarborough-type place, but Chinese are by far the largest visible minority group there.

Vancouver's "blue chip" established west side neighborhoods like Shaughnessy and Dunbar are heavily Chinese; in Toronto, that isn't true in the equivalent affluent areas north of downtown like Rosedale, Forest Hill and North Toronto.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:03 PM

873 posts, read 816,507 times
I must say I'm really surprised at the results. How are Toronto and Montreal in any way similar? Vancouver and Toronto I get at least as they have the same language and culture. Language is one of the biggest factors that make up a city.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:14 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,281,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I must say I'm really surprised at the results. How are Toronto and Montreal in any way similar? Vancouver and Toronto I get at least as they have the same language and culture. Language is one of the biggest factors that make up a city.
people think just because Vancouver is close to mountains and seas, the culture is different. such a superficial way to see things. It is like saying Rome is more like Paris than Montpellier because they are both large cosmopolitan cities and Montpellier is by the Mediterranean.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:22 AM

9,707 posts, read 6,654,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Pretty much everything about Montreal and Toronto is different. I don't see it either. They are miles apart culturally. Montreal is very dense at the street level, Toronto is built up high. Montreal is laid back and party centric, Toronto is Manhattan busy. Probably the only part of Greater Montreal that could fit in Greater Toronto would be Brossard.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:26 PM

12,701 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Quote:
honestly Vancouver is just a small version of Toronto. No matter how you exaggerate the cultural difference, they are very similar.
Similar in the fact that the way people live in cities around the world similar.

Culturally....well we are both english Canada, so we have that, but Vancouver is not a smaller version of Toronto in lifestyle.

There is truth to some of the cliches that we tend to be more laid back here. People seem to be more into the outdoors. Don't have numbers, but you can't argue that you tend to see more people here doing outdoor recreation since it's on our doorstep.

All the visitors that I have entertained over the years say the same thing. They notice how many fit people there are, and how many people are biking, running, skiing, swimming, kayaking, boating, paddle boarding,hiking, etc all within a few minutes of home.

So, in just that one aspect, Vancouver is much more an outdoor kind of city.

Toronto beats Vancouver in other areas, being a bigger and much older city, it should. Theatre, museums etc.

So if your statement were true, and it isn't, why wouldn't I who love Vancouver ,move to Toronto because it would just give me a bigger Vancouver?

Answer...because it can't, and it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or