U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto is more similar to
Montreal 13 54.17%
Vancouver 11 45.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 06:31 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Similar in the fact that the way people live in cities around the world similar.

Culturally....well we are both english Canada, so we have that, but Vancouver is not a smaller version of Toronto in lifestyle.

There is truth to some of the cliches that we tend to be more laid back here. People seem to be more into the outdoors. Don't have numbers, but you can't argue that you tend to see more people here doing outdoor recreation since it's on our doorstep.

All the visitors that I have entertained over the years say the same thing. They notice how many fit people there are, and how many people are biking, running, skiing, swimming, kayaking, boating, paddle boarding,hiking, etc all within a few minutes of home.

So, in just that one aspect, Vancouver is much more an outdoor kind of city.

Toronto beats Vancouver in other areas, being a bigger and much older city, it should. Theatre, museums etc.

So if your statement were true, and it isn't, why wouldn't I who love Vancouver ,move to Toronto because it would just give me a bigger Vancouver?

Answer...because it can't, and it isn't.
Ditto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 11:32 AM

12,688 posts, read 8,753,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I agree with Natnasci that a similar environment can be lead to similar lifestyle (his fishing village example) more than similar culture.....the problem is that he confuses lifestyle with culture...very very different concept.

A fishing village in Sicily and one in Thailand may have similar lifestyle traits but the culture is completely different.,,,not to mention the same fishing village in Sicily and one in Norway will have even less lifestyle similarities.

For everything else we already know very well that Vancouver is so "special" and "unique" mainly only to non well traveled Vancouverites stuck up there with nowhere else to go.
It must be Christmas...Saturno is agreeing with me

Old 12-14-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
True, there is a difference.

Although I don't even think mountains are a lifestyle for most Vancouverites. Yes, many may take advantage of it on the weekends, but it is more of a hobby than a true lifestyle. No one can say climbing mountains and skiing is his "lifestyle". Lifestyle should be something intrinsic to one's daily life. Honestly how many hours do Vancouverites spend on hiking in the mountains or skiing a week on average? Like 2? Most people have a real life (work, kids, cooking, laundry) and it is her own romanticized view than Vancouver life is closely connect to mountains/oceans. As I said I live just at the foot of the French Alps, and nobody around me (they are mostly unmarried young people) really goes to the mountains on a frequent basis. Even when ski season arrives, one gets to go like 4 or 5 times the entire season, and that's a total of how many, like 20 hours tops? And that's a "lifestyle"? Natnasci made it sound like most Vancouver head right to the mountains after work very day.
Those who live on the North Shore do

What I said was that many, obviously not the whole city at once, ski after work. Night skiing is popular. When skiing is 25 minutes from downtown, it's bound to happen.

Lifestyle means the way a person or group lives. If going skiing, ocean sailing, ocean fishing,, or mountain hiking is part of a cities activities then it's part of that cities lifestyle.

People living in Vancouver who do these things, are obviously going to have a similar lifestyle to someone else who does the same thing in another part of the world that has mountains and oceans in the city, more so than someone who has never left Saskatchewan.

What we would share with someone from Saskatchewan would be Canadian culture.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Ditto.
Thanks. Glad you get it.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:56 PM

873 posts, read 814,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Winnipeg is also more familiar in appearance to someone from central-eastern Canada. Although not so much as Vancouver IMO.
Winnipeg is technically a western city but it is more "central" Canada in character than anything else.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:25 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Winnipeg is technically a western city but it is more "central" Canada in character than anything else.
I know what you mean. Its surrounding geography is very "Prairie" however.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:29 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Last year when I went to Winnipeg for business, I was somewhat shocked by how under-developed the whole area seemed to be. Aside from the smallish downtown with a few modern office buildings and older brick and mortar bank buildings, the whole city felt very spread out and suburban. The road infrastructure also didn't seem to be in good shape compared to other cities in Canada, prob due to the cold weather, not to mention a lack of rapid or rail transit that typically makes a city feel like a real city.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:10 PM

All this thread has done is make me want to visit Toronto AND Montreal again. Both great places.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:16 PM

9,641 posts, read 6,616,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
All this thread has done is make me want to visit Toronto AND Montreal again. Both great places.
Not Winnipeg?

Old 12-15-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Not Winnipeg?
I've been to Winnipeg more times than the others. In summer, sure I'd go if I was on a road trip, but I'm in no hurry to rush back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or