U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:46 AM

12,710 posts, read 8,789,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
and people here are appalled about the election result of a foreign country. We all feel something about what others do, get over it.

I am not one of those who pretend "I am not judgmental". I judge and it is my right.

You are right. I usually don't enjoy looking at nothing but roads and trees. Safe to say I am not exactly a nature loving person unless the landscape is dramatically interesting. Trees, rocks and some hills are not interesting to me (so most national parks are pretty boring).
I read this and can't help thinking a bit of your soul is dead...or at least in suspended animation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 11:03 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,456,857 times
Well driving across the prairies and the Canadian shield can be brutally boring.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:10 AM

34,462 posts, read 41,580,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Well driving across the prairies and the Canadian shield can be brutally boring.
Agreed, from Winnipeg to Calgary its 800 miles and looks mostly like this=http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psf6dc6589.jpg

Old 12-07-2016, 05:41 AM

5,695 posts, read 6,551,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I read this and can't help thinking a bit of your soul is dead...or at least in suspended animation.
Naw. He just needs the total immersion experience - those wonderful, endless flat stretches of prairie, the sky a brilliant cloudless blue except for the dark bunching of clouds at the very edge of the horizon, lightning forking through it, a hawk hanging in the air in the distance. I can tell him which type of grain is growing in the fields with country music playing. Wilf Carter, maybe (what doesn't kill you makes you stronger). And then a roadside truckstop or two for coffee and cheeseburgers with greasy fries, while we can stare at people in that weary, yet determined way of long distance travellers. And the foothills, after a couple of days and the surprise of the mountains. Then definitely a stop for a trail ride somewhere so botti can wear a big cowboy hat.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:11 AM

5,695 posts, read 6,551,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
No kidding.

Our summer last year was Houston to Vancouver Island and Calgary via the west coast. Just a hair over 9000 miles in 15 days. (I dropped the family in Calgary and made the return leg alone) One of the best trips ever.

If she wants to drive it, I say more power to her. I'd hop down into the states and take the interstates across, as they're well maintained, never mind the fact that fuel prices will be less. Take I-94/90 across from Detroit.

A good set of winter tires, a freshly maintained car, and chains and blankets etc in the back, and there's no reason not to go.
Is that the longest road trip you've taken? We drove to Cuahtemoc, Mexico and back once some years ago.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:37 AM

5,275 posts, read 2,121,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
My stepdaughter has accepted a job in BC starting in January and we are trying to talk her out of driving there, alone, with a dog and 4 cats. Even without the pets, we see it as potentially unsafe. We are trying to convince her to fly out there and leave the animals with us until she is settled.

Has anyone done this drive, either through the US or Canada? What sorts of things should she be considering? It seems crazy to me, to be looking for cheap and pet-friendly accomodations, not to mention the cats in the car for 10 hours a day.. It is stressing us all out, and we're thinking she is viewing it as a big adventure.

We are fully aware she is an adult and responsible for herself, but she has made reckless decisions in the past which have resulted in us all picking up the pieces. It's very hard to just stand by and watch this unfold. Her dad and mom feel the same way as I do.
Google maps puts the time at 40 hours of driving, if she travels by way of Chicago and Seattle. If I add a stop in Thunder Bay to keep the route north of the border, it comes to 45 hours. I would probably expect weather delays on either route.

40 hours (4,382 km) Via I-94 W and I-90 W
45 hours (4,425 km) Via Trans-Canada Hwy/ON-17 N

I would think the trip should be doable, if she has a lot of time, tire chains, a winter survival kit, and all that good stuff. Each of the cats should be in a separate Cat Carrier, all the time. You might be able to get away with having one cat loose in the car, but four cats, no way. I believe that Motel 6, has no pet fees and no restrictions on pets at their basic motels.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:12 AM

5,970 posts, read 7,339,094 times
This thread has me curious, how would border guards react to someone entering the US or Canada to just drive across to get to another part of the country you are from? I know from Buffalo to Detroit, the quickest route is to go through Ontario just like for many in Canada, the fastest way to drive across the country is through the northern US. I feel like border guards may not like allowing someone in for something like that.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Naw. He just needs the total immersion experience - those wonderful, endless flat stretches of prairie, the sky a brilliant cloudless blue except for the dark bunching of clouds at the very edge of the horizon, lightning forking through it, a hawk hanging in the air in the distance. I can tell him which type of grain is growing in the fields with country music playing. Wilf Carter, maybe (what doesn't kill you makes you stronger). And then a roadside truckstop or two for coffee and cheeseburgers with greasy fries, while we can stare at people in that weary, yet determined way of long distance travellers. And the foothills, after a couple of days and the surprise of the mountains. Then definitely a stop for a trail ride somewhere so botti can wear a big cowboy hat.
My first experience of the Prairies was much like that. I was about 13 and friends of my parents were driving from Vancouver to a farm somewhere in Saskatchewan for a visit and I went along.

I was awe struck at how flat everything was, the big sky, how empty places felt because there were no mountains to wrap you up in.

I remember getting excited see a sign in on small town announcing " Tommy Hunter " was to play there. LOL

The truck stops and dusty roads where you could see a vehicle way off in the distance, approaching or leaving are all etched in my memory.

My next experiences were when I worked on the train. Getting up early ( as we had to ) and watched the sun rise over the fields was calming and beautiful.

I get it why people find driving them boring, we have such short attention spans now and when you can't change the channel, you are forced to inward thinking. A lot, just don't like doing that.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
This thread has me curious, how would border guards react to someone entering the US or Canada to just drive across to get to another part of the country you are from? I know from Buffalo to Detroit, the quickest route is to go through Ontario just like for many in Canada, the fastest way to drive across the country is through the northern US. I feel like border guards may not like allowing someone in for something like that.
They do that all the time.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:28 AM

7,304 posts, read 6,617,848 times
Brad, thousands of people have been doing it for decades. Hundreds every year just on their way through to Alaska. Hundreds every year from both countries who are going across the continent will scoot across the border for the cross trip for either the convenience or the novelty of it then back across the border again when they near their destination.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or