U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 11:27 AM

12,691 posts, read 8,762,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Brad, thousands of people have been doing it for decades. Hundreds every year just on their way through to Alaska. Hundreds every year from both countries who are going across the continent will scoot across the border for the cross trip for either the convenience or the novelty of it then back across the border again when they near their destination.

Exactly and what country wouldn't want visitors spending money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 11:38 AM

7,257 posts, read 6,591,773 times
I think the border authorities on both sides probably only get picky about travellers with pets producing evidence that the pets all have their vaccinations up to date ..... and that they don't have any prohibited items in their vehicles.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:12 PM

5,957 posts, read 7,327,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Exactly and what country wouldn't want visitors spending money!
I was just curious how they would react to it and if they would possibly see it as suspicious if someone told them that was their business in the country. I don't live that close to the border so I wasn't sure how they'd react to someone telling them that.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:13 PM

1,321 posts, read 1,556,752 times
Thanks again for all the input! I forwarded her all this information and she isn't budging. It will be her and the dog driving across Canada. I'm not surprised but I would have regretting not even trying. At some point we just have to step back and I think this is that time. Thanks again, very much appreciated!!

Old 12-08-2016, 07:27 PM

3,914 posts, read 2,731,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
Thanks again for all the input! I forwarded her all this information and she isn't budging. It will be her and the dog driving across Canada. I'm not surprised but I would have regretting not even trying. At some point we just have to step back and I think this is that time. Thanks again, very much appreciated!!
Well, be sure she takes emergency supplies in her car. If her car breaks down or she skids into a ditch, it may be the difference between life and death if temperatures are minus 30 C or worse which is quite common on the prairies in late December and in January.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:41 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,573,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
My stepdaughter has accepted a job in BC starting in January and we are trying to talk her out of driving there, alone, with a dog and 4 cats. Even without the pets, we see it as potentially unsafe. We are trying to convince her to fly out there and leave the animals with us until she is settled.

Has anyone done this drive, either through the US or Canada? What sorts of things should she be considering? It seems crazy to me, to be looking for cheap and pet-friendly accomodations, not to mention the cats in the car for 10 hours a day.. It is stressing us all out, and we're thinking she is viewing it as a big adventure.

We are fully aware she is an adult and responsible for herself, but she has made reckless decisions in the past which have resulted in us all picking up the pieces. It's very hard to just stand by and watch this unfold. Her dad and mom feel the same way as I do.
If she crosses over into the USA at Ft. Erie and drives on the I 90 all the way to Seattle things should be good. I have driven it many times in the winter and never had any dramas or issues at all. Through Canada? Bad plan.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:29 PM

2,177 posts, read 1,754,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Well, be sure she takes emergency supplies in her car. If her car breaks down or she skids into a ditch, it may be the difference between life and death if temperatures are minus 30 C or worse which is quite common on the prairies in late December and in January.
I agree with this. Transport Canada has some suggestions for emergency supplies for winter driving:

https://www.getprepared.gc.ca/cnt/rs...201012-en.aspx

Good luck to her, and I hope she arrives safely. Vectoris, will you keep us informed as to her progress?

Old 12-08-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
If she crosses over into the USA at Ft. Erie and drives on the I 90 all the way to Seattle things should be good. I have driven it many times in the winter and never had any dramas or issues at all. Through Canada? Bad plan.
I agree. We are in Ft Erie but she is about 3 hours north. REgardless, she seems quite adamant about staying in Canada. It would be so easy for her to just get a cheap pay as you go phone, as well, to use in the US if she is worried about roaming charges.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I agree with this. Transport Canada has some suggestions for emergency supplies for winter driving:

https://www.getprepared.gc.ca/cnt/rs...201012-en.aspx

Good luck to her, and I hope she arrives safely. Vectoris, will you keep us informed as to her progress?
Thank you so much!! I sure will

Old 12-08-2016, 11:47 PM

449 posts, read 279,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I read this and can't help thinking a bit of your soul is dead...or at least in suspended animation.
I agree. With all the nastiness going on lately (at least here in the states), appreciating nature is one of the few ways I manage to stay sane in this place/time. From the starry skies to the clouds to the trees of all sorts of shapes and sizes, the rolling hills, and the fresh air, there are so many small pleasures that not everyone takes the effort to appreciate. Personally, I would love to get away from it all and take a road trip across Canada, if I only had the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or