U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 09:05 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,568,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I agree. We are in Ft Erie but she is about 3 hours north. REgardless, she seems quite adamant about staying in Canada. It would be so easy for her to just get a cheap pay as you go phone, as well, to use in the US if she is worried about roaming charges.
My wife and I have driven across the continent many times in winter. We were long haul truckers and so sometimes we had no choice but to go on the Trans Canada. We had to do it but to choose to take this route over the US interstate is just plain stupidity. The drive through Canada takes WAY longer, costs more in fuel, there is generally no where to stay if you get storm stayed, the road is not even in the same league as the I90, there are no decent rest stops, food is horrible and expensive, the weather is less predictable, the road through Northers Ontario is just plain dangerous for many reasons including moose collisions and just on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 07:44 AM

771 posts, read 1,209,132 times
If she does want to do this, I'd recommend her to drive through the United States. It may take longer, but in Winter the roads and conditions will make it easier.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:27 PM

78,708 posts, read 70,554,766 times
Quote:
My stepdaughter has accepted a job in BC starting in January and we are trying to talk her out of driving there, alone, with a dog and 4 cats. Even without the pets, we see it as potentially unsafe. We are trying to convince her to fly out there and leave the animals with us until she is settled.

Has anyone done this drive, either through the US or Canada? What sorts of things should she be considering? It seems crazy to me, to be looking for cheap and pet-friendly accomodations, not to mention the cats in the car for 10 hours a day.. It is stressing us all out, and we're thinking she is viewing it as a big adventure.

We are fully aware she is an adult and responsible for herself, but she has made reckless decisions in the past which have resulted in us all picking up the pieces. It's very hard to just stand by and watch this unfold. Her dad and mom feel the same way as I do.
This is not safe, OP. Even without animals in the car (would they be penned up? Or would the cats be loose, getting in her way?) it wouldn't be safe. I haven't driven in Canada in winter, but I've hit snowstorms in the US southwest in winter, which were mild compared to what you have to deal with, and I don't plan to do it again. I've also read newspaper articles about people getting caught in our snowstorms. Some don't survive the experience.

Even if she left the animals at home with you, it would be foolhardy to make that trip. If she's planning to drive 10 hours/day, already I can tell she doesn't have good judgment. Because at some point, quite possibly many points, she'd have to stop early and seek shelter for the rest of the day and night. If she has a grueling drive like that planned, and thinks she can just power through it, she most likely would make foolish decisions, thinking she could brave out a storm, and just keep driving.

This is a tragedy waiting to happen.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Well, be sure she takes emergency supplies in her car. If her car breaks down or she skids into a ditch, it may be the difference between life and death if temperatures are minus 30 C or worse which is quite common on the prairies in late December and in January.
She should take a bag of sand and a trowel, to put sand under her tires is she gets stuck in the snow or ice.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I agree. We are in Ft Erie but she is about 3 hours north. REgardless, she seems quite adamant about staying in Canada. It would be so easy for her to just get a cheap pay as you go phone, as well, to use in the US if she is worried about roaming charges.
I have such a bad feeling about this! Please post an update when she (hopefully) arrives safely.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:00 PM

1,321 posts, read 1,555,214 times
Thanks so much for all your caring. Her dad can barely sleep at night for worrying, and I agree with you, Ruth, she has no idea what she is trying to take on. We are still trying to make her see reason. The last few days have been very (typically snowy here and driving for even 30 mins is very stressful. Her dad is trying to get her to see how 8-10 hours of that every day would be. Also we have told her, if the weather is bad, she HAS to have an enormous reserve fund for extra lodgings and food. We are not giving up

Old 12-20-2016, 06:16 PM

3,903 posts, read 2,727,861 times
There's only 8 hours between sunrise and sunset today in Winnipeg. I assume she has to stop occasionally for gas, meals and bathroom breaks and also won't be driving after dark on the unlit unfamiliar highway with little to no traffic. Eight hours driving per day doesn't seem doable.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for all your caring. Her dad can barely sleep at night for worrying, and I agree with you, Ruth, she has no idea what she is trying to take on. We are still trying to make her see reason. The last few days have been very (typically snowy here and driving for even 30 mins is very stressful. Her dad is trying to get her to see how 8-10 hours of that every day would be. Also we have told her, if the weather is bad, she HAS to have an enormous reserve fund for extra lodgings and food. We are not giving up
Her dad should disable her car--yank some wires, or something, anything! It's time for drastic action. It will save her life.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-20-2016 at 06:59 PM..

Old 12-20-2016, 07:49 PM

10,132 posts, read 11,881,266 times
I have driven across Canada in the dead of winter (January) from Ottawa to Vancouver and although it is technically doable, it is very stressful at times due to the weather. I was well prepared with good snow tires, an emergency kit, extra gas and lots of food and water. I also had someone traveling with me so wasn't alone and that was a big help. Even with all that, I spun out off the road twice - once on the prairies in Alberta where I went partially in the ditch. I was able to get back on the highway after a bit of time and some effort. The second time I hit a patch of black ice going down a hill in the BC interior and drove into a snowback on a median in the road. That was a closer call as I almost drove into an intersection with oncoming traffic without stopping but steered the car into the snowbank instead. The bottom line is that it is quite risky and if she is not used to driving long distances, I wouldnt recommend it. Not to mention she will have animals with her which will make it more challenging IMO. I certainly will never do it myself ever again.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:46 PM

1,321 posts, read 1,555,214 times
I'm so happy to report that my stepdaughter has made the decision to fly out to BC!! I thank you all for helping her choose the most practical and reliable way to get there. We are all quite relieved. She has an apartment waiting for her, and a job, and she will come back in the Spring, and drive back to BC with her mom Thank you all so much for your advice and opinions. You made a difference!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or