U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 12:45 AM

10,132 posts, read 11,881,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I'm so happy to report that my stepdaughter has made the decision to fly out to BC!! I thank you all for helping her choose the most practical and reliable way to get there. We are all quite relieved. She has an apartment waiting for her, and a job, and she will come back in the Spring, and drive back to BC with her mom Thank you all so much for your advice and opinions. You made a difference!
Glad I could help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 01:13 AM

7,236 posts, read 6,581,911 times
That's good news Vectoris. Thanks for the update.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:47 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,379,395 times
When I was younger and bolder I have driven in Rocky Mountain and Appalachian snowstorms. On the western trip we could barely keep the Van warm even while it was running. The Eastern trip resulted in 3/4th of an inch of freezing fog on the windshield. Not recommended at all even if it did create some very persistent memories.

I am glad your daughter decided to fly and then come back in the spring. Much safer and sensible. When you do drive west it makes sense to take the TRANS Canada all the way out. I suggest you plan on stopping in Sudbury, Ont. There is a truly fascinating museum describing the recovery of a place from the devastation of uncontrolled copper smelting. Ship the cats and take the dog. Most of the dogs I have known love taking car trips.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:44 PM

1,284 posts, read 900,771 times
When I hitch-hiked out west from Montreal with the ex in the mid-80s, my favourite place was Lake Superior/Thunder Bay. The scenery is just breath-taking. If I had to move from southern Quebec, I'd go there in a heartbeat, though there are horrible nay nay blackflies, horseflies and deerflies in that region.

One local who picked us up laughed at me because I had a blackfly bite over my eye and I wasn't used to the venom. Duh, I forget to pack a can of "Off!" before I took off! My eye was all swollen...he called me a 'city slicker'!

Still, that area cannot be beat. I'm more of a lake person that I am a mountain person, anyway.

We'd heard rumours, probably locals trying to pull our legs, that the water in Lake Superior was too frigid to swim in. Once we set up camp there, we noticed a little toddler in the water, and she didn't appear to be freezing! We went in ourselves soon afterwards.

People in the Thunder Bay area that we met were wonderful, too.

We had such a good time, (apart from being stuck in Wawa, Ontario) we hitch-hiked out west again the following year.

We turned the being stuck in Wawa to our benefit, though. We had no money, so we hit up the Wawa Social Aid office and were given vouchers for a free meal. After we ate, and the food was delicious, it was a diner that was located near the bus terminal - we headed back to the highway and manged to get a ride almost immediately.

Makes me wonder, though I've never been east of Montreal, just who the friendliest people in Canada might be?

Winnipeggers are very friendly. The ex and I lived there for a summer.

Now I want to go hitch-hiking again! I'm 62, though, and DH wouldn't go with me...plus I have pet birds that I can't leave...God, I miss those road days, though.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:18 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,752,214 times
Good news, Vectoris! Keep us updated as to when she drives back in springtime--it sounds like there are more than a few of us in this thread who would be happy to provide tips, things to see along the way, etc.

Thanks for the update!

Old 01-11-2017, 09:30 PM

3,322 posts, read 4,467,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Putting chains on snow tyres in BC mountainous areas won't be just an option, it is a requirement by law. If she doesn't have chains on she'll be turned around and sent back by police, maybe ticketed and fined as well because not only does she risk her own life, she risks the lives of other drivers on the roads. The only part of BC where it isn't usually essential to have really heavy duty winter tyres and/or chains is in south west lower mainland BC where it usually gets more rain than snow. Everywhere else is snow, ice, hilly or mountains, narrow, twisting winding roads and it is hell and even the lower mainland can be hell if there ends up being a heavy snow because then the lower mainland becomes paralyzed.

I wish your family good luck in convincing her to use good sense.

I think you're exaggerating just a bit on the chains. I drove from Vancouver to the Rockies and back a couple weeks ago on summer tires and I had no issues on the snow/ice. Granted, I did get lucky to avoid temporary road closure on the Coquihalla due to heavy snow.

Also, chains are not required to be used unless posted on the electronic signs. Winter tires ARE required to be used October to April, per traditional road signs along the highway. But I had no need of them.

Generally, chains are overkill unless you're going up very steep hills or carrying heavy loads. Winter tires or studded tires are adequate. And if they're not, then you should not be driving in wintry conditions.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:22 PM

78,689 posts, read 70,554,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I'm so happy to report that my stepdaughter has made the decision to fly out to BC!! I thank you all for helping her choose the most practical and reliable way to get there. We are all quite relieved. She has an apartment waiting for her, and a job, and she will come back in the Spring, and drive back to BC with her mom Thank you all so much for your advice and opinions. You made a difference!
I love happy endings! That sounds great! And everything's ready in BC for her to start the next stage of life. Thank heaven she saw reason!

Bravo, mom and dad!

Old 05-27-2017, 07:33 PM

1,321 posts, read 1,555,214 times
I couldn't resist another update

My stepdaughter has settled down really well in her new home. We miss her but she is very happy and has grown up overnight, it seems. She flew back to Toronto last week to pick up her car and at this very moment she and her mom are making that drive! They're really enjoying it and going through the U.S. with a dog and a cat who also seems to be getting used to the car. All is good

Old 05-27-2017, 09:25 PM

7,236 posts, read 6,581,911 times
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear all is going well for her.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or