U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 12:26 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,281,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
Canada making it into top 5-10 in Math and others and Eastern European countries such as Romania ranking almost at the end of the spectrum??

I personally find this super-biased. Math curriculum lacks big time in North America comparing to Europe.
Europe is not ONE country and they have different systems and quality of education. If you pay attention, plenty of European countries did quite well, some better than Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 01:41 PM

191 posts, read 133,728 times
Before we pat ourselves on the back here in Quebec, I have to point out that the provincial results are probably skewed a bit.

Article in french:
Les résultats québécois remis en question - La Presse+

First heard about it on the radio this morning. The article basically states that only 52% of schools solicited participated in the study. A board representing 70% of French public schools boycotted the exam as a pressure tactic while demanding better compensation No one has released the list of schools that have participated, but the ratio of private to public schools likely has been affected -thus skewing the results to our favor.

Sniff.

Last edited by CloudReader; 12-08-2016 at 02:03 PM..

Old 12-08-2016, 07:24 PM

411 posts, read 1,151,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Europe is not ONE country and they have different systems and quality of education. If you pay attention, plenty of European countries did quite well, some better than Canada.
1. I've never said that Europe is one country, buddy. I mentioned about one clear example of an EASTERN EUROPEAN country, named Romania, where - like in many many other EUROPEAN countries, pupils study serious subjects, especially math. Not the CRAP from Canada, pardon my French. A 4th or 5th grader from Canada or US (yes, don't pat yourselves on the back, US is on par with Canada, if not even better in some public schools and states) is like a 1st or 2nd grader in Romania. Oh, and did I mention that they teach pupils there to write cursively / calligraphically, with real fountain pens, and not with pencil crap.

Check also the main rankings in International Math Olympiads, and then we're talking.

2. What I was questioning was not the fact that "plenty of European countries did quite well". It was CANADA which I was questioning in particular. Maybe the test methodology is unusual, but in no way Canada is higher than Romania in the area of primary, mid-grade and high school education. Tertiary/University education, maybe. But even that can be nuanced.

3. And yes, I have paid attention to the article. You didn't pay attention to what I was saying.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:59 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,076,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
1. I've never said that Europe is one country, buddy. I mentioned about one clear example of an EASTERN EUROPEAN country, named Romania, where - like in many many other EUROPEAN countries, pupils study serious subjects, especially math. Not the CRAP from Canada, pardon my French. A 4th or 5th grader from Canada or US (yes, don't pat yourselves on the back, US is on par with Canada, if not even better in some public schools and states) is like a 1st or 2nd grader in Romania. Oh, and did I mention that they teach pupils there to write cursively / calligraphically, with real fountain pens, and not with pencil crap.

Check also the main rankings in International Math Olympiads, and then we're talking.

2. What I was questioning was not the fact that "plenty of European countries did quite well". It was CANADA which I was questioning in particular. Maybe the test methodology is unusual, but in no way Canada is higher than Romania in the area of primary, mid-grade and high school education. Tertiary/University education, maybe. But even that can be nuanced.

3. And yes, I have paid attention to the article. You didn't pay attention to what I was saying.

I agree

In my experience (and many others including the ones working on education) the average European high school student blows a North American one out of the water.

My friend is a private teacher in Vancouver, he always tell me that his best students are on average Asians and Europeans (including Eastern Europeans), the Canadians are usually at the bottom of the barrel.

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-09-2016 at 12:27 AM..

Old 12-09-2016, 05:57 AM

11,760 posts, read 8,321,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
LOL... That's a shame for the US. We're down with borderline 3rd world countries, although I'm not surprised at all. When I moved down here, I'd just completed 10th grade in Montreal in an advanced math program. I came here and was put inan advanced math class for 11th grade. It was stuff I'd done in 9th grade.
Do you think Israel is a third world nation? It is right next to the US in math.

The US is bracketed by Norway and Austria in science, equal to the UK and well above Switzerland in reading. On what planet are these third world nations?

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 12-09-2016 at 06:13 AM..

Old 12-09-2016, 06:20 AM

11,760 posts, read 8,321,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
How did each of the individual Provinces perform? You are allowed to break off and compete as your own "nation" and typically Quebec and Ontario perform the best in Canada. In the US Massachusetts, NC and Maryland opt to do the same.
I'll add onto that. China has been allowed to include only the top performing provinces in their reporting. If the US were allowed to only report New England and the Pac NW, we would be in the top ten in all three fields. As far as the low performing regions go, I would be willing to bet demographics would play into the results rather harshly.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:18 AM

9,704 posts, read 6,654,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Do you think Israel is a third world nation? It is right next to the US in math.

The US is bracketed by Norway and Austria in science, equal to the UK and well above Switzerland in reading. On what planet are these third world nations?
Many countries aren't listed here. But if you look at different ranking systems, the US is right there with (and under some) very poor nations.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:31 AM

12,701 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
And Alberta. Oh, what the heck ..... everyone ..... we are all just way too cool, we all deserve to give ourselves a pat on the back.

Slightly off the topic but according to that report on Canada it mentions that as usual (and internationally too) boys outperform girls in math and girls outperform boys in reading. Does anyone know why that is?

Sometimes when I think the whole world is falling apart, I get on a bus, or Skytrain and see young people reading books and I feel better.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:36 AM

12,701 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I agree

In my experience (and many others including the ones working on education) the average European high school student blows a North American one out of the water.

My friend is a private teacher in Vancouver, he always tell me that his best students are on average Asians and Europeans (including Eastern Europeans), the Canadians are usually at the bottom of the barrel.
Private tutors, are not the way to measure public education. However you are nothing but predicable. Any positive post about Canada and you have to find a way to put Canadians at the bottom the barrel.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:30 AM

7,276 posts, read 6,604,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Sometimes when I think the whole world is falling apart, I get on a bus, or Skytrain and see young people reading books and I feel better.
I can relate to that. I feel the same way when I go into the library on a weekend or week day evening and see all the young people in there selecting books to take out, or sitting reading.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada