U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 03:23 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,074,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Private tutors, are not the way to measure public education. However you are nothing but predicable. Any positive post about Canada and you have to find a way to put Canadians at the bottom the barrel.

No, I put North American high school students (USA and Canada), on average, at the bottom of the barrel compared to Europe, I'm an equal opportunity basher.....

A private tutor can absolutely evaluate the level of education received and, furthermore, I saw what was being taught to my stepson (in the US not Canada)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 04:30 PM

18,286 posts, read 10,386,738 times
Quote:
Private tutors, are not the way to measure public education. However you are nothing but predicable. Any positive post about Canada and you have to find a way to put Canadians at the bottom the barrel.

You've noticed.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:16 AM

19,521 posts, read 20,913,887 times
Here, America -- feel better:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...asc/cols/stats

Old 12-10-2016, 11:58 AM

12,691 posts, read 8,762,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
No, I put North American high school students (USA and Canada), on average, at the bottom of the barrel compared to Europe, I'm an equal opportunity basher.....

A private tutor can absolutely evaluate the level of education received and, furthermore, I saw what was being taught to my stepson (in the US not Canada)
Since all the studies point to Canadian students doing better than US student ( public schooling ) equating them is simply wrong. Canadian students are NOT in the bottom of the barrel compared to European students. Rankings show that.

The point wasn't about a private tutor being able to judge the education of an individual since OBVIOUSLY they can do that. The point was about a private tutor JUDGING the whole public school system form their small sampling of students, most likely seeking tutorship because they are lacking and need the extra help.

Even if those students going to a private tutor are going because they are brilliant, would still give you a false sense of the public school system.

So the point stands.

You may return to your regular scheduled bashing now.

Last edited by Natnasci; 12-10-2016 at 12:09 PM..

Old 12-10-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You've noticed.
Ya, it's like a tennis match. Back and forth, back and forth...except when I hit the ball back, all I get in return is a swoosh of hot air.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Ya, it's like a tennis match. Back and forth, back and forth...except when I hit the ball back, all I get in return is a swoosh of hot air.

....You mean when I never get the ball back?? I lost count....

Old 12-10-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
....You mean when I never get the ball back?? I lost count....
Whoosh !

Old 12-10-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Since all the studies point to Canadian students doing better than US student ( public schooling ) equating them is simply wrong. Canadian students are NOT in the bottom of the barrel compared to European students. Rankings show that.

The point wasn't about a private tutor being able to judge the education of an individual since OBVIOUSLY they can do that. The point was about a private tutor JUDGING the whole public school system form their small sampling of students, most likely seeking tutorship because they are lacking and need the extra help.

Even if those students going to a private tutor are going because they are brilliant, would still give you a false sense of the public school system.

So the point stands.

You may return to your regular scheduled bashing now.

Nat, calm down, get your valium....your usual lack of reading skills huh?? :My initial observation was not a comparison of the US and Canadian public school system but rather the relatively poor showing of Italy in that ranking.....yes a lot of empirical observation from me and from others put US and Canada quite behind Italy and Europe in general (high school students)...but we already know your uncritical acceptance of every published ranking out there....what is new??

My friend does not teach to students looking for tutorship, he teaches music (both privately and in several schools) and, actually, he tend to get the cream of the crop meaning students interested in extra curricula learning activities.....by the way, an other person that I know (German) teaches math in college (and privately) up there and his opinion is exactly the same...and yes their judgement is about the public school curricula content, nothing to do with the individual student....they do not say that the students are dumber or less gifted simply that the academic content is quite less challenging/advanced.

The US public high schools are better than Canada??...maybe, sure who cares?? That, again, was not my point....from an Italian (and Western European) perspective is like debating if it is better being hit by a baseball bat or a 2X4.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada