U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 11:37 AM

21,946 posts, read 27,343,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I hope the anti-semitism has gone away. I'm not Jewish, but I cannot stand those with anti-semitic views.
I am trying hard to think of an anti-Semitic quote by a PQ politician from any era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 11:51 AM

477 posts, read 426,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I had several friends in Toronto & Ottawa who were Jews and fled Montreal. The separatist movement was not only hostile to Anglophones but down right racist to the Jews. There was a lot of bigotry and anti-semitism in the PQ and they made no effort to conceal it. It was all part of the "pure laine" mentality of the party and much of the population which effectively meant unless you were a French Canadian you weren't a "real" Quebecer. The fact that you may have been able to trace your roots back in the province hundred of years or were a Native was irrelevant as the PQ made it very clear that you weren't wanted.
None of the above is true. Really.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:22 PM

The first PQ Government of 1976 had people named Johnson Burns O'Neill in it, and the first black member ever elected in Québec.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:36 PM

34,377 posts, read 41,463,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I had several friends in Toronto & Ottawa who were Jews and fled Montreal. The separatist movement was not only hostile to Anglophones but down right racist to the Jews. There was a lot of bigotry and anti-semitism in the PQ and they made no effort to conceal it. It was all part of the "pure laine" mentality of the party and much of the population which effectively meant unless you were a French Canadian you weren't a "real" Quebecer. The fact that you may have been able to trace your roots back in the province hundred of years or were a Native was irrelevant as the PQ made it very clear that you weren't wanted.

I remember the biggest single trauma for Montrealers was when the Bank of Montreal moved it's headquarters to Toronto.
Its still that way today but most people just learn to live with it. Its Quebec ,cultural paranoia runs rampant and bill 101 makes sure every one complies to its draconian language laws, its a legislated culture thats almost entirely French and is striving to be totally French, If some one wants to live in an English milieu just leave Quebec, if not speak French and strive to assimilate.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:38 PM

477 posts, read 426,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its still that way today but most people just learn to live with it. Its Quebec ,cultural paranoia runs rampant and bill 101 makes sure every one complies to its draconian language laws, its a legislated culture thats almost entirely French and is striving to be totally French, If some one wants to live in an English milieu just leave Quebec, if not speak French and strive to assimilate.

In the Gazette, the Suburban and the National Post and their target audiences, for sure, paranoia apparently still runs rampant (or had long-lasting effects).

Old 12-12-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The first PQ Government of 1976 had people named Johnson Burns O'Neill in it, and the first black member ever elected in Québec.
Sorry, Johnson, Burns and O'Neill. And the Parti Québécois member for Papineau riding was Jean Alfred, who was born in Haiti.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:34 PM

While it would be a gross exaggeration to say that the PQ had lots of support among Jews (and many other minorities), it's also false to say there were absolutely none.

In the early days of the PQ and even for some time after, there were some high-profile Jews involved in the party like Henry Milner, Ed Bantey and David Levine.

These were all Anglo-Jews as well. The francophone Jewish community was tiny here back then.

I have no idea if the larger Franco-Jewish community today has produced more people who are inclined to vote for the PQ. But one thing is certain is that there are way more minorities in the PQ and the sovereignist movement than before. (Even if the strong majority of minority people are still Liberal and federalist in Quebec.)

Old 12-12-2016, 09:09 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,751,138 times
I remember the "Quebexodus."

Definitely Jews were a significant component of it, and something like 20,000 Montreal Jews moved to Toronto in the 1970s/1980s. But I don't think the PQ was anti-Semitic in the days of Rene Levesque. Jews just made up a sizable proportion of English-speaking Montrealers (and still do).

However Jacques Parizeau's "money and the ethnic vote" comment was viewed by many to have anti-Semitic connotations.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:06 AM

831 posts, read 933,445 times
I always liked Rene Levesque and detested Parizeau. I never thought of Levesque as racist or anti-semitic but in the rank & file is was pervasive. Just the fact that Parizeau's "anglos & ethnics" got applause speaks volumes.

Thankfully, I think those days are gone and while I think there will always be a bit of tension between non-Franco and Franco Quebecers, most people especially the young have moved on. The Anglophones and ethnic minorities have accepted the French fact of Quebec as evidenced in the massive increase in the number of people in those two groups that are now fluently bilingual and Francophones who are more secure in their culture and language and no longer view non-Francophones as a threat to it and Quebec is a far better and more harmonious place for it. This is one of the reasons why, after decades of relative decline, Quebec's economy is flourishing with a vigor it hasn't seen since the 50s.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:45 AM

I was not a fan of Jacques Parizeau as he gave me the creeps but he was a highly intelligent man.

He is vilified in anglo circles all across Canada and "Parizeau = racist" is basically a truism even in polite company, but one thing many people don't know is that his wife of 30 years and mother of his children was a concentration camp survivor by the name of Alicja (Alice) Poznanska. I don't believe she was Jewish but she was involved the Warsaw Uprising in 1944 (when she was only 13-14) and her father died in a concentration camp.

I suppose most people who hate his guts don't care but this is still all true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or