Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 07:51 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I always liked Rene Levesque and detested Parizeau. I never thought of Levesque as racist or anti-semitic but in the rank & file is was pervasive. Just the fact that Parizeau's "anglos & ethnics" got applause speaks volumes.

Well, I was watching it live in the original "floor" sound which was in French. It only got a smattering of claps and also a smattering of jeers. I think most people were just shocked.

I was personally shocked too, not so much by the statement but by the fact that he actually said it.

For the record it was not directed at Jews in particular but to all groups whose leadership said very publically and emphatically: "All Jews MUST vote NO", "All Italians MUST vote NO", "All Greeks MUST vote NO", "All Klingons MUST vote NO".

This is probably the 100th time I've said this on an online forum, but even if it was a very unstatesmanlike thing to say, I find it a bit rich for people to go all apoplectic on him for saying it when it was the groups themselves who first called on their "people" to vote "ethnically" in the referendum...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 07:55 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,228 times
I remember the Quebexodus (love that expression, BTW).

Most of the people I used to know when I was younger have bolted, but I still have a friend or two, and several acquaintances who don't want to leave Quebec.

I remember when Sun Life moved down the 401.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:27 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,525,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, I was watching it live in the original "floor" sound which was in French. It only got a smattering of claps and also a smattering of jeers. I think most people were just shocked.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p0-4gVCKTb0

I heard the cheers. I didn't hear any jeers.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p0-4gVCKTb0

I heard the cheers. I didn't hear any jeers.
Yeah, I hear some jeers in there for sure. Though maybe they were jeering "ethnics" for voting no?

Anyway, when they pan to the crowd it doesn't seem like everyone is clapping either. Far from it.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:40 AM

Note for foreign readers: there is a subset of the Canadian population for whom any person associated with the Quebec independence movement can never have any redeeming qualities. Much less be given the benefit of the doubt.

Knowing this fact is quite useful when reading any discussion on the topic.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:08 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,525,023 times
Quite a broad statement, Acajack.

I actually sympathized to some extent with the separatists in 1970s Quebec. For example, to get a well paying job in Montreal at the time, knowledge of English was often necessary.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Quite a broad statement, Acajack.

It most definitely exists.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:50 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,441 times
Quote:
I was not a fan of Jacques Parizeau as he gave me the creeps but he was a highly intelligent man.

He is vilified in anglo circles all across Canada and "Parizeau = racist" is basically a truism even in polite company, but one thing many people don't know is that his wife of 30 years and mother of his children was a concentration camp survivor by the name of Alicja (Alice) Poznanska. I don't believe she was Jewish but she was involved the Warsaw Uprising in 1944 (when she was only 13-14) and her father died in a concentration camp.

I suppose most people who hate his guts don't care but this is still all true.
I don't think he was personally anti-Semitic. But I'm saying when you talk about money and "ethnics" it sounds like coded anti-Semitism.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:49 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times
I wouldn't say the separatist movement is racist. I know plenty of people that are separatist that are not racist, Some of the nicest people I met while living in Quebec were separatist. Also, I knew a lot Haitians and Arabs that were open supporters of the separatist movement.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:05 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,483,261 times
Quote:
For the record it was not directed at Jews in particular but to all groups whose leadership said very publically and emphatically: "All Jews MUST vote NO", "All Italians MUST vote NO", "All Greeks MUST vote NO", "All Klingons MUST vote NO".

This is probably the 100th time I've said this on an online forum, but even if it was a very unstatesmanlike thing to say, I find it a bit rich for people to go all apoplectic on him for saying it when it was the groups themselves who first called on their "people" to vote "ethnically" in the referendum...
Why is there such a disconnect in thinking so as to prevent Parizeau, and now you, seeing the irony in your castigating people for "bloc" voting along ethnic lines when the whole sovereignty movement could be said to have as it's primary motivation, that very premise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada