U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 10:54 AM

12,703 posts, read 8,778,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
all done
Camping? You? Somehow I don't see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 02:36 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,283,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Camping? You? Somehow I don't see that.
I camped once in my life, in Yellowstone because hotels were too expensive

I do hate camping, haha. But I love you!

Old 12-11-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I camped once in my life, in Yellowstone because hotels were too expensive

I do hate camping, haha. But I love you!
I think if you went camping with me, you'd would grow to love it. Beautiful surroundings, nice people, making incredible meals, good wine, a lake or river to swim in, a fire pit and a lot of laughs.

Feeling the love ha ha ha

Old 12-22-2016, 06:49 PM

4,852 posts, read 9,005,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
The reason Canada has not done so, so far (at least for air travel), is that there are far too many US airports that have flights to Canada, and often, too few flights daily to justify stationing CBSA officers there in any single one. You, heading for Cincinnati, might be in the US customs lineup in Toronto with people flying to New York, San Francisco, Chicago, Dallas, and Miami; but when you fly back to Toronto on the one daily flight out of Cincinnati, is it cost-effective to staff the Cincinnati airport with CBSA officers for that single flight? It might make sense for CBSA to do it in US airports that have many flights to airports all over Canada daily, but so far, things seem to be working okay, if not well; and there is no real need to.
Might be more cost effective to build a North American terminal building for the U.S. pre-clearance departures and the CBSA arrivals in all major Canadian commercial airports.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:59 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,159,858 times
One of the problems with U.S Pre-clearance at least at larger Canadian airports is USCBP staffing can not keep up with growth. This is creating some serious bottlenecks, particularly during early morning departure rushes.. Since the airport is designated as pre-cleared in Canada, the expectation is that flights from these Canadian airports to the U.S must pre-clear and shall not 'post' clear. Allowing post-clearance of flights would certainly help to relieve said bottlenecks from pre-cleared facilities when they reach capacity which is increasingly becoming an issue. Its fine and dandy to have a pre-clearance facility, as long as staffing is mated with growth and that isn't happening to the degree that it needs to.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:16 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,757,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Might be more cost effective to build a North American terminal building for the U.S. pre-clearance departures and the CBSA arrivals in all major Canadian commercial airports.
That's pretty much how it works already. It may not be a terminal building (though Calgary has just built one); it may just be a wing of the airport. But you go through US Customs and enter a sealed area of the airport, where you wait with others heading to various parts of the US; and when you return, you return to the same building/wing where you go through Canada Customs with others who have just come from various parts of the US. You're not mixing with people coming from overseas, in other words.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:26 AM

34,445 posts, read 41,547,959 times
I saw a news story where it said the purpose of this Bill is to cut down buses and trains having to wait hours at the border while agents checked every ones id it seems to be targeting those instances where people have questionable id and all the passengers have to wait while the situation is resolved.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:45 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,478,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Why did you bother getting it then if you have little reason to visit?
It his choice to do what he wants and decide not to go the US if he does not want to. Seriously. Its his life choices and money.

For me the best thing about Nexus was using the rainbow bridge to cross from NY back to Ontario.. little traffic and friendly (Canadian anyway) border folks.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:01 PM

5,967 posts, read 7,335,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
It his choice to do what he wants and decide not to go the US if he does not want to. Seriously. Its his life choices and money.

For me the best thing about Nexus was using the rainbow bridge to cross from NY back to Ontario.. little traffic and friendly (Canadian anyway) border folks.
My comment bothered you that much to revive a thread which hasn't been posted on for a couple weeks?

Old 01-06-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I saw a news story where it said the purpose of this Bill is to cut down buses and trains having to wait hours at the border while agents checked every ones id it seems to be targeting those instances where people have questionable id and all the passengers have to wait while the situation is resolved.
The Amtrak train that leaves Vancouver for Portland via Seattle etc is not a the border for hours. You pre-clear US customs at the Vancouver train station. Once at the border, guards come on with dogs to sniff for drugs I guess and other things. This is done rather quickly and efficiently. !0 minutes max?

They even smile when they do this

It's a lovely ride and a great comfortable way to get between these cities. I highly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or