Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 02:50 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,433,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The projects will establish U.S. customs offices on the Canadian side of the border allowing travellers, in theory, to get screened more quickly, zip through the actual border, and ease the logjams that slow travel and commerce.
Quote:
The more significant change is that the new agreements allow the system to be extended to every mode of transportation: first trains, then buses, and potentially someday even car travel, might involve clearing the border early.
Bill to simplify border crossing passes U.S. Congress - Politics - CBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 03:10 PM

18,494 posts, read 15,377,204 times
Confused. We already have US customs at Canadian airports and in Vancouver, we have pre-clearance US customs at the Pacific Central train station, for the train to Seattle.

For buses, they would then have to go directly to the US with no stops for new pick ups. Schedules would have to change.

So extending it to land crossings would work how? Nexus already exists...like I said. Confused.

Last edited by Natnasci; 12-10-2016 at 03:20 PM..

Old 12-10-2016, 04:02 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,641,794 times
Unless you do business with the US directly, I just fine little reason to go to the US.

I got the Nexus thinking it might be useful, and ended up using it only once now it is expiring soon. So easy or hard, whatever.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:09 PM

14,674 posts, read 14,774,103 times
Quote:

The agreements also allow American customs agents to carry weapons within Canada, question people, and detain, but not arrest, them. The legislation that passed Saturday also allows agents accused of crimes at work to be prosecuted in the U.S.
I didn't see anything in the article about also establishing Canadian customs offices on the American side of the border. I don't like that one little bit. If they're going to put American agents in Canada then they should put Canadian agents in America too, with all the same duties and privileges.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I didn't see anything in the article about also establishing Canadian customs offices on the American side of the border. I don't like that one little bit. If they're going to put American agents in Canada then they should put Canadian agents in America too, with all the same duties and privileges.

We already have that right for US airports, it's just that we don't use it. Probably because the costs doesn't justify it.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Unless you do business with the US directly, I just fine little reason to go to the US.

I got the Nexus thinking it might be useful, and ended up using it only once now it is expiring soon. So easy or hard, whatever.
You want reasons besides business?

OK

Visiting family and friends.

Meeting up with people from both sides of the borders, like I do when I go camping. There are certain border towns etc, that are quite connected in that regard.

NYC...that's a pretty good reason.

Parts of California.

The Oregon Coast.

There a TONS of reasons for visiting.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:37 PM

3,602 posts, read 3,344,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The current preclearance agreement between the US and Canada allows for that, so I would assume this one will too.

The reason Canada has not done so, so far (at least for air travel), is that there are far too many US airports that have flights to Canada, and often, too few flights daily to justify stationing CBSA officers there in any single one. You, heading for Cincinnati, might be in the US customs lineup in Toronto with people flying to New York, San Francisco, Chicago, Dallas, and Miami; but when you fly back to Toronto on the one daily flight out of Cincinnati, is it cost-effective to staff the Cincinnati airport with CBSA officers for that single flight? It might make sense for CBSA to do it in US airports that have many flights to airports all over Canada daily, but so far, things seem to be working okay, if not well; and there is no real need to.

The point is, that as things stand, preclearance is a two-way street. We just haven't chosen to travel on it yet.

On preview, Nat beat me to it. Well, I'll post this anyway.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:14 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,641,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You want reasons besides business?

OK

Visiting family and friends.

Meeting up with people from both sides of the borders, like I do when I go camping. There are certain border towns etc, that are quite connected in that regard.

NYC...that's a pretty good reason.

Parts of California.

The Oregon Coast.

There a TONS of reasons for visiting.
all done

Old 12-11-2016, 03:59 AM

3,602 posts, read 3,344,402 times
No message.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 12-11-2016 at 04:15 AM..

Old 12-11-2016, 10:43 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,107,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Why did you bother getting it then if you have little reason to visit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada