Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto is more similar to
Montreal 14 56.00%
Vancouver 11 44.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 04:33 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,719,580 times

Advertisements

Vote based on whatever criteria you see fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 07:12 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Montreal is... Montreal. Hard to compare it to any other city really... I find Toronto to be more in line with Vancouver, with all of the high-rise condos and stuff.

That said, if there's any city in NA I think Toronto is similar to, I'd say Miami. Both suffer from endless suburban sprawl, both have tons of high-rise condos, neither one is particularly pedestrian-friendly, both are roughly 50% "minority."

Old 12-05-2016, 07:33 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,172,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Montreal is... Montreal. Hard to compare it to any other city really... I find Toronto to be more in line with Vancouver, with all of the high-rise condos and stuff.

That said, if there's any city in NA I think Toronto is similar to, I'd say Miami. Both suffer from endless suburban sprawl, both have tons of high-rise condos, neither one is particularly pedestrian-friendly, both are roughly 50% "minority."
I agree with you on the Miami comparison, but mainly for the outer suburbs. Places like Brampton, North York, Mississauga are definitely built along the lines of "high rise condos surrounded by suburban sprawl"

As for the City of Toronto, if one ventures outside of the downtown Financial District core, there are actually large areas of mid-rise density, a mixture of old and new buildings that are not dissimilar to what you'd find in Montreal in places like Mile End or streets around Quartier des spectacles. Many of the east-west, north-south streets are teaming with midrises, a mixture of historical/Victorian builds, and newer midrise constructions, along with robust cycling lanes and lots of pedestrian traffic. Not to mention a growing public transit network (e.g. Line 5 LRT/Subway under construction on Eglinton, St. Clair LRT upgrade, Spadina Subway Extension, and new infill stations for Regional Express Rail) - many of these activities are actually occurring outside downtown core/condo-land, and in this regard, I find very little parallel between Toronto and Miami, and much more parallels with the likes of Montreal or Brooklyn.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:50 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I agree with you on the Miami comparison, but mainly for the outer suburbs. Places like Brampton, North York, Mississauga are definitely built along the lines of "high rise condos surrounded by suburban sprawl"

As for the City of Toronto, if one ventures outside of the downtown Financial District core, there are actually large areas of mid-rise density, a mixture of old and new buildings that are not dissimilar to what you'd find in Montreal in places like Mile End or streets around Quartier des spectacles. Many of the east-west, north-south streets are teaming with midrises, a mixture of historical/Victorian builds, and newer midrise constructions, along with robust cycling lanes and lots of pedestrian traffic. Not to mention a growing public transit network (e.g. Line 5 LRT/Subway under construction on Eglinton, St. Clair LRT upgrade, Spadina Subway Extension, and new infill stations for Regional Express Rail) - many of these activities are actually occurring outside downtown core/condo-land, and in this regard, I find very little parallel between Toronto and Miami, and much more parallels with the likes of Montreal or Brooklyn.
Or Chicago. But that's been done to death on here.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:54 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,172,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Or Chicago. But that's been done to death on here.
Lol, yes. I purposely excluded that name to avoid re-opening that pandora box.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:58 AM

To answer the OP:

Culturally, Toronto is definitely more similar to Vancouver.

In terms of look, it's hard to say. Toronto has some older areas that are more like Montreal (the vernacular of the eastern half of North America) but even then it's not that similar. Montreal, Boston, NYC, Philadelphia all have a general style of architecture and urban structure that Toronto doesn't fully share.

Newer tower clusters in Toronto are more like those in Vancouver though.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:39 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,285,161 times
Square peg, round hole.

There's no real comparison other than they're all Canadian cities.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:56 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
If forced to answer I'd say Toronto is closer to Vancouver, but on a superficial level. Vancouver and Montreal have more in common than most people realize. By that I mean in attitudes toward life. Both feel much more laid back than Toronto.

However, I love all three cities because of their differences.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
If forced to answer I'd say Toronto is closer to Vancouver, but on a superficial level. Vancouver and Montreal have more in common than most people realize. By that I mean in attitudes toward life. Both feel much more laid back than Toronto.

I've often found this as well.

Toronto is very much a go-getter's city, willing to get ahead at any price.

Montreal and Vancouver aren't really like that, and the list of things they aren't willing to give up, even if it means they won't "get ahead", tends to be a lot longer than in Toronto.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:49 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've often found this as well.

Toronto is very much a go-getter's city, willing to get ahead at any price.

Montreal and Vancouver aren't really like that, and the list of things they aren't willing to give up, even if it means they won't "get ahead", tends to be a lot longer than in Toronto.
Friends from Montreal say the same and they know all three cities well.

When I was working and we had people in meetings from Toronto, they were shocked we'd sometimes wrap up a bit early " because it's really nice outside " and people wanted to head to the beach, or go for a run, bike ride or even take their boat out. Seemed reasonable to us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada