U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 07:50 AM

1,284 posts, read 898,913 times

Advertisements

Saskatoon, Calgary and Winnipeg are among the best places to live in Canada

All three of the top cities on the list scored an ‘A’ rating, with Saskatoon holding a top grade in life satisfaction.

Calgary got second place in the life satisfaction and health lifestyle categories.

Montreal performed the poorest out of all the rankings, scoring no higher than eighth in any of the categories.

The full list (including graph)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 08:10 AM

5,916 posts, read 2,286,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post

All three of the top cities on the list scored an ‘A’ rating, with Saskatoon holding a top grade in life satisfaction.

Calgary got second place in the life satisfaction and health lifestyle categories.

Montreal performed the poorest out of all the rankings, scoring no higher than eighth in any of the categories.

Even being in last place in a list of ten Canadian cities might not be a bad place to live.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:34 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
That's interesting. Calgary I get but I would never have thought of Saskatoon and Winnipeg (and also Regina, which I guess was not studied) as "healthy living" hotspots.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:29 AM

12,676 posts, read 8,743,773 times
What are the exact scores? In other words, what the point spread between these cities? My guess it's probably pretty small and since involves peoples emotions ( life satisfaction ) is constantly moving.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:41 AM

3,153 posts, read 2,070,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post

....problem is...who really wants to live there? That is the issue....

Old 12-13-2016, 02:48 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,750,122 times
I'm glad to hear people in Saskatoon, Calgary and Winnipeg are satisfied with their lives.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:13 PM

3,900 posts, read 2,725,320 times
People massively underestimate the happiness of people around them.

There was a 40-country survey this fall on the subject on perception versus reality. One of the questions was about happiness. Survey responders in Canada thought that only 60% of Canadians were very happy or rather happy. Yet 87% of them reported being very happy or rather happy themselves.

Perils of Perception | Slides (See slide 8)

( There were a lot of other interesting results in the survey. I was particularly struck by the differences between the U.S. and Canada. )

Old 12-14-2016, 06:52 AM

9,626 posts, read 6,605,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
....problem is...who really wants to live there? That is the issue....
I visited Winnipeg once. It was a bit too much of a ghost town for me. Couple that with being in the middle of nowhere, and I just can't imagine lots of people wanting to live there. Saskatoon can only be worse.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:17 AM

5,951 posts, read 7,319,432 times
I think the survey dealt more with the health of residents than which city is actually best to live in, or that's the way I read it at least. I have a hard time believing Winnipeg and Saskatoon would be the best cities in Canada to live in, especially this time of year. Winnipeg makes Montreal seem tropical at times.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:25 PM

12,676 posts, read 8,743,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I visited Winnipeg once. It was a bit too much of a ghost town for me. Couple that with being in the middle of nowhere, and I just can't imagine lots of people wanting to live there. Saskatoon can only be worse.
I used to go to Winnipeg almost every week when I worked on VIA Rail many years ago. In summer, it's can be quite lovely, but ya, I don't think I would ever want to live there.

As for Saskatoon, it's quite pretty in parts....summer again.

Reminds me of a joke we used to tell on the trains. It's better said aloud.

Two old ladies visiting from the US on a cross Canada train trip, step off the train while it makes a short stop.
Not knowing where they were, they saw a man sitting on a bench and decided to ask him.
" Excuse me sir, can you please tell us where we are? "

" Saskatoon, Saskatchewan " he replied.

One lady turned to her friend and remarked, " I guess they don't speak English here " .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or