Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 09:52 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why does the USA have Spanish on food labels?
From what I understand many in Canada are fluent in both languages.
Spanishis on many labels as the Spanish population is growing. However it is not mandatory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 10:06 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
I have never understood this. The official language in Canada is English. Why do Canadians allow Quebecers people to speak French? Why do they allow them to have signs etc in French? Just force them to learn the language of their own country. I don't understand Quebecers are even allowed to vote when they can't understand what the politicians are saying.

The same reason Puerto Rico speaks Spanish.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:17 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
The United States has NO official language.

Quote:
The most common language in the United States is known as American English. However, no official language exists at the federal level. There have been several proposals to make English the national language.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lang..._United_States

Old 12-14-2016, 10:51 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Read my other responses and look it up. GHS labelling in Canada.

TRy reading about it.

https://www.msdsonline.com/blog/comp...ith-u.s.-model
I did. They've streamlined the process to be closer to the US, and not once does it mention MSDS requirement for French, and you've had three years to get ready for whatever changes are in process.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:26 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Nope the business I own does business world wide and no other country is requiring this on GHS labeling and SDS. Starts 1/1/2017. An SDS can be 19 pages long now.
What is it about "in close harmony with the U.S. regulations" do you not understand?

You've since stated no other country requires this while claiming to do business world wide and in your own link it specifically states Canada bringing it's labelling requirements into "harmony" with those already in existence in the U.S.

What about this am I failing to understand?

A country of over 350 million consumers requires you to perform this already and you're suggesting the one with only 35 million is causing you egregious expense? Not getting it.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:29 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Spanishis on many labels as the Spanish population is growing. However it is not mandatory.
Oh well then; you should be able to easily get them to stop doing it country wide and passing the costs along to you...........riiiggghhht....?

Old 12-14-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
What is it about "in close harmony with the U.S. regulations" do you not understand?

You've since stated no other country requires this while claiming to do business world wide and in your own link it specifically states Canada bringing it's labelling requirements into "harmony" with those already in existence in the U.S.

What about this am I failing to understand?

A country of over 350 million consumers requires you to perform this already and you're suggesting the one with only 35 million is causing you egregious expense? Not getting it.
In the USA ONLY English is required. In Canada:

What information is required on a supplier label?

Supplier labels must be written in English and French. They may be bilingual (as one label), or available as two labels (one each in English and French).

The standard also reuires the SDS to be done in both. This is a major expense for supplying far fewer companies in Canada than in the US. I am still trying to figure out why a customer in Alberta needs it in French?????

Don't the teach English in Quebec as they do in France???

Old 12-14-2016, 12:33 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:

Supplier labels must be written in English and French. They may be bilingual (as one label), or available as two labels (one each in English and French).

The standard also reuires the SDS to be done in both. This is a major expense for supplying far fewer companies in Canada than in the US. I am still trying to figure out why a customer in Alberta needs it in French?????

Dual language labeling guidelines have been around literally for decades at this point. If it's too much baggage, don't sell, but for goodness sakes, quit whining like a little b over something that is older than the vast majority of people even on this forum.

Those are the rules. Abide by them, or don't. No one cares.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:36 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:

Sounds like it is a bigger problem for you than it is for Canada. Unless what you are selling is world-unique, indispensible and cannot be produced in any way by anyone else.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Sounds like it is a bigger problem for you than it is for Canada. Unless what you are selling is world-unique, indispensible and cannot be produced in any way by anyone else.

In some cases yes.OH well, we will do whatw e cana s we can and ... if not ready Canadian companies will just have to wait tillw e have the time. Dual or multi language labels are common but not required by law. And just for ... Quebec and forced on everyone. There is a reason some call it CanaDuh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada