U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2016, 12:38 AM
 
412 posts, read 306,455 times
Reputation: 271

Advertisements

I have never understood this. The official language in Canada is English. Why do Canadians allow Quebecers people to speak French? Why do they allow them to have signs etc in French? Just force them to learn the language of their own country. I don't understand Quebecers are even allowed to vote when they can't understand what the politicians are saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2016, 12:52 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,523 posts, read 7,465,981 times
Reputation: 10927
I believe Canada has two official languages, French and English. French culture is very old in Quebec, of course people there will speak French. The areas of northern Maine adjacent to Quebec also have French speakers, most Americans just don't know this fact.

Why are does Canada allow them to speak French?? Well maybe because it's a free country that does not dictate what language is to be spoken. Here in the USA we "allow" millions in the southwest to speak Spanish, and we have for hundreds of years. You could say that Spanish is an unofficial second language of the USA. In fact most nations have multiple languages spoken within their borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 02:13 AM
 
412 posts, read 306,455 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I believe Canada has two official languages, French and English. French culture is very old in Quebec, of course people there will speak French. The areas of northern Maine adjacent to Quebec also have French speakers, most Americans just don't know this fact.

Why are does Canada allow them to speak French?? Well maybe because it's a free country that does not dictate what language is to be spoken. Here in the USA we "allow" millions in the southwest to speak Spanish, and we have for hundreds of years. You could say that Spanish is an unofficial second language of the USA. In fact most nations have multiple languages spoken within their borders.
Yes, people are allowed to speak whatever language they want, but everyone is still required to learn English. Signs are in English, police and courts speak English etc. Quebec is more like a separate country within Canada. They have their own culture, language and customs. They are allowed to vote who gets to be President but they can't even speak the language of the country they live in. They can't read the newspapers. You don't see a problem with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 02:55 AM
 
34,384 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Reputation: 29863
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
Yes, people are allowed to speak whatever language they want, but everyone is still required to learn English. Signs are in English, police and courts speak English etc. Quebec is more like a separate country within Canada. They have their own culture, language and customs. They are allowed to vote who gets to be President but they can't even speak the language of the country they live in. They can't read the newspapers. You don't see a problem with that?
Canada has 2 official languages, French is spoken in Quebec and English is spoken every where else yet in the rest of CAnada all signs must be bilingual and all products must have a French translation.
Quebec is a nation within a nation that would do well to separate from the mother country of Canada and go its merry way however staying withing the Canadian collective has too many financial benefits to entertain the thought of going it alone. Why does the rest of Canada put up with it? 75 parliamentary seats might play a role combined with 30 million English speakers in the rest of Canada not caring about what 7 million Quebecers do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 03:06 AM
 
412 posts, read 306,455 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Canada has 2 official languages, French is spoken in Quebec and English is spoken every where else yet in the rest of CAnada all signs must be bilingual and all products must have a French translation.
Quebec is a nation within a nation that would do well to separate from the mother country of Canada and go its merry way however staying withing the Canadian collective has too many financial benefits to entertain the thought of going it alone. Why does the rest of Canada put up with it? 75 parliamentary seats might play a role combined with 30 million English speakers in the rest of Canada not caring about what 7 million Quebecers do.
The 30 million English speakers should run the Quebecers out. Is Quebec giving Canada anything positive at all? Seems to me that they just take welfare while hating on English speaking Canadians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 03:09 AM
 
1,147 posts, read 471,184 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
They are allowed to vote who gets to be President but they can't even speak the language of the country they live in.
Anglophone Canadians aren't allowed to elect a President either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 03:10 AM
 
1,147 posts, read 471,184 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
They are allowed to vote who gets to be President but they can't even speak the language of the country they live in.
No one in Canada is allowed to elect a President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 03:15 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Reputation: 7586
he is obviously just trolling. And nice Canadians were explaining to him, haha.

Let's ban this person and get it over with. He is not here to have a conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 03:20 AM
 
34,384 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Reputation: 29863
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
The 30 million English speakers should run the Quebecers out. Is Quebec giving Canada anything positive at all? Seems to me that they just take welfare while hating on English speaking Canadians.
While you observation seems spot on its a very complex issue that most English Canadians dont care about,the French stay in their province thinking up new ways to rid themselves of their remaining 8% anglo demographic while the rest of Canada goes about its business in English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 04:42 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
80 posts, read 30,614 times
Reputation: 55
big facepalm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top