U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 09:47 AM

1,290 posts, read 910,253 times

Advertisements

I found this interesting.

Personally, I'm sure I could get more bang for my buck than the brownstone in Westmount in another area.

Here is the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 09:52 AM

2,566 posts, read 2,191,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post

Personally, I'm sure I could get more bang for my buck than the brownstone in Westmount in another area.

Here is the link.
As expected, the Vancouver $1 million listing is the most pathetic. Even the Toronto row-house looks pretty roomy and decent for the asking price.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:25 AM

5,974 posts, read 7,345,820 times
Besides the places in BC, I thought the Calgary place looked quite underwhelming as well, especially from the outside.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:11 PM

4,826 posts, read 4,465,905 times
IMO The houses in the east are nicer. Victoria was the only one in the west I liked.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:33 PM

12,723 posts, read 8,807,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
IMO The houses in the east are nicer. Victoria was the only one in the west I liked.
...but homes in Victoria and Vancouver are pretty much the same in style and construction.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:35 PM

4,826 posts, read 4,465,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
...but homes in Victoria and Vancouver are pretty much the same in style and construction.
I was talking about the ones on the posted link. The Vancouver home didn't look nice at all in comparison with the others.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:39 PM

I would love to see an article that not only shows the price of a home, but all the costs that go with it in each area.

I have often thought of one day selling and moving up....the maritimes would probably be the place...need ocean. I'm just hoping if it does happen that the maritimes doesn't get too expensive like Vancouver. I mean, it's a pretty nice looking place and the world has yet to fully discover it yet.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I was talking about the ones on the posted link. The Vancouver home didn't look nice at all in comparison with the others.
I see. Well in the case of Vancouver it isn't about the house. It's the land. Someone with a million bucks will just tear it down.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:17 AM

7,343 posts, read 6,636,323 times
That house in the Sunset neighbourhood of south Vancouver is a dump. Most of the older houses built in that era in Sunset look nearly identical to that one. They are all dumps now and their only value is the land they're on. They are relatively small houses on long, narrow lots with big back fenced yards backing onto service alleys, many have garages/work shops in the very back that are accessed from the alleys.

When contractors buy those properties they immediately tear the structures down, minimize green space and build houses that are much longer, often with a partially sunken in-law basement suite with the main residence being two floors above the basement suite. Then they sell the property at a big profit for many times more than what they paid for the land and new construction costs. There's no more room in Vancouver to spread out so now it is spreading upwards.

I really liked the Yukon house shown in the article.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:06 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,805,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post

Here is the link.
I really really really want an in door swimming pool. The fact that someone could build that in Regina for that prices really makes me think game on!!!! This is basically what I wanted to built with my home ( less wood more white).

In my opinion in Toronto if you want a nice looking home and dont have a lot of money to work with you need to buy a really dated run down place and do as much of the work yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or